Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: To pad or not to pad....  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Doc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
To pad or not to pad....
« on: September 24, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »
In another thread I'm am receiving great advice on whether to purchase ADK A-51 TLs, AT 4050s or SP C3s for recording live orchestra
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71770.0

Part of my decision in part depends on the importance of having -10 or -20 dB pads AND/OR high-pass filters on the mics.
I am running into an OADE modified Marantz P660, which has it's own -10dB pad built in.

How important are such pads when recording digitally?
Do you get the same effect adding a high-pass during post-processing as when recording?
Any other issues I'm missing here?

Thanks
SP C4s > Kind Kables > Marantz 660 OADE Concert Mod
Matched ADK TLs > Mackie 1202-VLZ > Alesis ML9600

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: To pad or not to pad....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 10:01:36 PM »
Doug HIGHLY recommends running the -20 dB pad on the Marantz ACM 660. If it's REALLY quiet, you can probably take of the pad (via menu), but apparently I read that the levels will be screwed up.
Line Audio CM4 (4) / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 (2) / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / F2 (2) / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline iriewsp

• Taperssection Regular
  • I have to pay for you to get it sounding good?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:11:08 AM »

How important are such pads when recording digitally?
Do you get the same effect adding a high-pass during post-processing as when recording?
Any other issues I'm missing here?

Thanks

Well in my opinion the only reason to use pads is if the SPL level is hotter than normal.   So it just depends on whether or not the max  SPL level of the mic or close to it  is going to be reached during the recording.  If yes by how much and then I would decide on the pad to be used.  I mainly use pads on drums, and I use the pads on the board.  Im not a huge fan of micing up instruments so close that the mic itself needs a pad anyways. 

Second my philosophy on high pass or low pass on the mic goes like this.  Unless you know and are very confident in your ability that you will end up running this same filter in post then why not use it going to tape.  However you can always take away later if you want.  But you cant add what you dont have if you use the filter.   Plus you have to ask yourself if the filter on the mic is as good as the filter you could use in post.

Oh, and I own a pair of AT 4050s and I love them for all sorts of applications.  If you havnt bought a pair of mics yet, the 4050's rock. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:14:36 AM by iriewsp »
Taping Rig
AKG 451e ck1 (mid) AT 4050 (side)>V3>MT 24/96

Multi Track Rig
2 x Focosrite Octopre Platinum with adat expansion>003r>mac g4 power book
with assorted microphones

Offline Doc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 12:48:01 AM »
Thanks for the info guys
+T if I could

Now I'm even more torn/perplexed - I had it narowed down to the ADK or 4050:
one of the things that was pushing me away from the ADKs was the lack of on-mic pads and filters, but it seems that they are not so important, but then you recommend the 4050s, but then I found a matched pair of new ADKs for $750, but....

my brain now hurts  :o
it's like one of those Star Trek episodes where Kirk blows up a computer with circular logic
(I, Mudd and Nomad, and...)
SP C4s > Kind Kables > Marantz 660 OADE Concert Mod
Matched ADK TLs > Mackie 1202-VLZ > Alesis ML9600

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com