Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Open recording opportunity... but clueless what do do!  (Read 5344 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Open recording opportunity... but clueless what do do!
« on: September 30, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »
Hi all!

For once, I have a chance to openly tape a performance and the luxury of being in a venue I can access before the fact, check levels, play with mic placement etc.  Woohoo!  However, having only really stealthed myself to date, I'm pretty clueless regarding what to do with this lovely oppportunity....

Voice + piano (classical vocal recital).

I may run both of my current rigs for the performance if only to hear the differences.  I have at my disposal (since <SOB> I can't afford DPAs before November)

CMC8 omnis
AT831 Cardioids
iRiver 120 running rockbox
Reactive preamp + JB3
1 4'6" tall mic stand
1 home made jecklin disk

I'll likely run hte CMC8s into the iRiver, and the 831s+pre into the JB3 (although no reason I could'nt do it the other way round - perhaps something to experiment with)

The venue is a smallish recital room with a rather live acoustic.  IRL, the wet acoustic is quite vocally flattering (although isntrumentalists have complained it's too echo-y,  and with a small ensemble it was deafening.  New space - they're still tweaking the acoustic!).   I'm reckoning I can site a stand in the aisle just in front of the first row, so maybe.... 12-14ft away from me and the piano.   Performance area is NOT raised; room is all on one level.

So, suggestions on ideal  placement, mic positioning to try and anything else y'all care to throw at me would be MIGHTY welcomed.   Also, how does one accurately position stealth mics? When I've tried in the past, they just kinda flop around even when I clip them to stuff!  And what would be a good setup for the AT831s (they're the SP  minis)

In any case, all suggestions welcomed ESPECIALLY since i have 6 weeks where I can play around with this at my leisure!

DPA4060
R09

Offline dhora

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Open recording opportunity... but clueless what do do!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »
So, suggestions on ideal  placement, mic positioning to try and anything else y'all care to throw at me would be MIGHTY welcomed.   Also, how does one accurately position stealth mics? When I've tried in the past, they just kinda flop around even when I clip them to stuff!  And what would be a good setup for the AT831s (they're the SP  minis)

Don't know about the location/positioning you'd want, but I can show you how I openly run my AT831s.  I took a yardstick and drilled a hole so it would mount on my stand.  The mic clips fit perfectly on the yardstick.

I drew some templates for DIN and ORTF on the smaller ruler, so I can just clip on and run without measuring/guessing angles.

24" AB:

ORTF:

XY:

There are a few more pics/larger pics on my website if you're interested: http://horaenterprises.com/pics/mics/.

AT853h,o, AT831c > AT831 (SP-CMC-2) > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3
Shows on the Archive: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Dave%20Hora%22

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »
THANKS! That's a great idea. 

Anybody else? All suggestions  and caveats welcome!

DPA4060
R09

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 12:24:15 PM »
If you can get in for the soundcheck and can bring some good isolating headphones you're in good shape since you can listen to different mic setups and stand positions and choose what sounds best to you.  I don't have any experience with your mics, but I'd try:
Your Jecklin disk with the omni's.
ORTF with the cards.
The A/B spaced techinque above.
Whatever else you have the time & inclination to try.

You don't have to record, just monitor and listen, move mics, change config, repeat, ect. until you settle on something that works for that situation and sounds good.  Great learning opportunity.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:22:15 PM »
If you can get in for the soundcheck and can bring some good isolating headphones you're in good shape since you can listen to different mic setups and stand positions and choose what sounds best to you.  I don't have any experience with your mics, but I'd try:
Your Jecklin disk with the omni's.
ORTF with the cards.
The A/B spaced techinque above.
Whatever else you have the time & inclination to try.

You don't have to record, just monitor and listen, move mics, change config, repeat, ect. until you settle on something that works for that situation and sounds good.  Great learning opportunity.

Well yes... except the hitch being...

I'm the performer as well as the tapir ;)   

Hence why I'm trying to amass some information before the fact since I will have to do it by trial and error since I CAN'T monitor myself!!!  :)

The GOOD thing though is that this is a place where I teach once a week and thus I CAN get in to the space and play around with positioning and stuff at my leisure. And yep, a fabu learning opp BUT I need to get a good tape as well (if I perform well, it will make excellent fodder for my website and demo)

Thanks for the tips - keep 'em coming all!
DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »
in your experimentation, try throwing the cards up on either side of the baffle, similar to the omni's, with the card caps pointed forward.
I'm doing two acoustic Mozart concerts this next weekend, and, I'll be starting with my baffled cards experiments of this season.

ahhhh,.... the local classical concert season 2006/2007 is finally underway.

lucky you!! itll take my shipped goods until January 7th to reach NC...wont be able to do any jobs until then.  :-X I might just grab a 722 and my 426b....and throw it on the plane with me.

RebelRebel

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 07:25:06 PM »
I would throw a jecklin disc on them both....(omnis) and then about 5-10 feet behind the jdisc, throw the cardiods up on a stand as high as you can get them, pointing straigt up to capture the ambience. OR throw the jecklin in the "curve" of the piano and throw ONE of the cardiod mics on the singer...if you stereo mic her, you will get this :"wandering" effect..jimping from side to side.

Id be glad to mix them for you...

Hi all!

For once, I have a chance to openly tape a performance and the luxury of being in a venue I can access before the fact, check levels, play with mic placement etc.  Woohoo!  However, having only really stealthed myself to date, I'm pretty clueless regarding what to do with this lovely oppportunity....

Voice + piano (classical vocal recital).

I may run both of my current rigs for the performance if only to hear the differences.  I have at my disposal (since <SOB> I can't afford DPAs before November)

CMC8 omnis
AT831 Cardioids
iRiver 120 running rockbox
Reactive preamp + JB3
1 4'6" tall mic stand
1 home made jecklin disk

I'll likely run hte CMC8s into the iRiver, and the 831s+pre into the JB3 (although no reason I could'nt do it the other way round - perhaps something to experiment with)

The venue is a smallish recital room with a rather live acoustic.  IRL, the wet acoustic is quite vocally flattering (although isntrumentalists have complained it's too echo-y,  and with a small ensemble it was deafening.  New space - they're still tweaking the acoustic!).   I'm reckoning I can site a stand in the aisle just in front of the first row, so maybe.... 12-14ft away from me and the piano.   Performance area is NOT raised; room is all on one level.

In any case, all suggestions welcomed ESPECIALLY since i have 6 weeks where I can play around with this at my leisure!

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:48:42 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to get in there tomorrow to play around a bit, so we'll see what I come up with.

I'm also seriously considering adding an R09 to the setup before this event.  You may seem some gear turning up on the yard sale if that's the case!!!

I'll keep y'all posted (and no doubt be asking more questions before we're through!)
DPA4060
R09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 10:41:57 PM »
So, I had a chance to get into the venue today - ran the iRiver w/CMC8s just sitting there while I did some singing to see what it sounds like.

It is WAY WAY WAY  more live than I thought - it's like a freakin' echo chamber!   Obviously, I need to get the mics as close as possible, but anything else I can do to minimise the excessive acoustic?

I just sold the 831 cards so both my rigs are  now omnis so that's not going to help me acoustic-wise presumably. Oh well. I'll be running the iriver>CMC8 rig plus (yippee!  new GEARRRRRR!! WOOHOOO!! Shipped today :) :) :) :)) the R09 using its built-in mics .    Will I do better trying to get the mics up high, or running them roughly at sound level or...?

Thanks in advance for any further thoughts on this!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 10:44:45 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 11:33:32 PM »
well..youd want the mics lower for the same reason that you want to be closer... say about 5-6 feet in the air..no more. you should always have a pair of cardiods too....omnis wont cut it all the time.

So, I had a chance to get into the venue today - ran the iRiver w/CMC8s just sitting there while I did some singing to see what it sounds like.

It is WAY WAY WAY  more live than I thought - it's like a freakin' echo chamber!   Obviously, I need to get the mics as close as possible, but anything else I can do to minimise the excessive acoustic?

I just sold the 831 cards so both my rigs are  now omnis so that's not going to help me acoustic-wise presumably. Oh well. I'll be running the iriver>CMC8 rig plus (yippee!  new GEARRRRRR!! WOOHOOO!! Shipped today :) :) :) :)) the R09 using its built-in mics .    Will I do better trying to get the mics up high, or running them roughly at sound level or...?

Thanks in advance for any further thoughts on this!

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 09:54:50 PM »
well..youd want the mics lower for the same reason that you want to be closer... say about 5-6 feet in the air..no more. you should always have a pair of cardiods too....omnis wont cut it all the time.

Ha - well, as a gearslut in transtion, consider me "between cardioids"!! Once I can get the DPAs next spring, I'll probably add the card option for my CMC8s, which will hopefully cover bases in the future.. ;)

However, for this gig, gotta go with wot I got :)

DPA4060
R09

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 12:10:44 PM »
If just you're running the internal mics on the R-09, you'll get better results if you rig up a small jecklin-like or wedge-shaped baffle out of cardboard or something.  Just takes a couple minutes and a pair of sissors to do something like this.

Obvious probably, but the only practical way to increase the direct to reberberant ratio with your omni's is to get in closer.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 10:18:11 PM »
Gutbucket - tx guy. Yeah, i saw your amazing creations when you posted them (+t for sure!) and already have a couple of pieces of florists foam sitting here in wait ... I love your nerf ball! What a great idea :)

I have a homemade Jecklin I can use for the CMC8s/iriver rig. I should prolly try that out this week when I'm up there (the test I made last week was without anything, really, just the mics plonked down on a table about 15 ft out; I'm going to see what I can rig up a bit closer next time.)

Thanks again!

DPA4060
R09

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 08:49:27 AM »
Gutbucket - tx guy. Yeah, i saw your amazing creations when you posted them (+t for sure!) and already have a couple of pieces of florists foam sitting here in wait ... I love your nerf ball! What a great idea :)

I have a homemade Jecklin I can use for the CMC8s/iriver rig. I should prolly try that out this week when I'm up there (the test I made last week was without anything, really, just the mics plonked down on a table about 15 ft out; I'm going to see what I can rig up a bit closer next time.)

Thanks again!

The little green Nerf ball is better than nothing and looks cooler, but is really too small to be very effective.  A piece of cardboard works better.  I tested it and carry the cardbard baffle in my bag, but I never really use the internal mics.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 09:29:32 AM »
I was planning on using a styrofoam disk - based on your experiments so far, how do you think that will work? I happen to have one here already and figured it would be easy to shape (as you did with the Nerf ball), would emulate a Jdisk and would be a little sturdier than cardboard....

http://www.thecraftplace.com/store/images/products/disc_D61W.jpg

The question, presumably, is how big a disk to use given that the internal mics are set pretty close.

Btw, I'll only be using the internal mics for the time being.  I'm getting this unit in anticipation of my spring upgrade to 4060s.....
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.219 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com