Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony ecm-77?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline gorlando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony ecm-77?
« on: October 01, 2006, 10:08:37 AM »
Does anybody here know / use the Sony ecm-77's?
I just bought two of them (in the version 77B with battery power) on Ebay to put toghether a stealth set (putting them on my glasses close to my ears) with my MT 24/96 (jack mic input).
I used to tape 10+ years ago (with a Sony WMD6C and 2 ECM-150) for classi
Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony ecm-77?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »
As I said, these mics are not popular here, as well as, I guess, the Sennheiser MKE 2, which were the other mic I was looking for. These would have required some form of external battery, while the Sony have already it.
Then you know how Ebay is, you lose the MKE 2 and win the ECM77, so you go this way.
Anyway, if anybody know the Sonys and can give any advice on their +/- or recommended use I'd appreciate it
Thanks

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:19:04 AM »
Ok since you really want to know ...

I think these mic's are not the greatest ( to say the least ). When I started taping many years ago I started with the Sony ECM mic's . At the time ( and I am talking the 80's ) there was no internet , no way to get info so I thought that was all that was available at the time ( where else than the regular store could I go for mic's ? ) . I din't have the same model but something sort alike of what you have now .
Nowadays there is so much info available that there is no need to get a mic like the ECM's . Anytime I hear a recording made with these mic's I feel sorry since I think there is so much better available today , and sometimes for not even that much more .
I think they are sounding very very flat , no bass at all . They have a terrible thin sound .
Brands like Microphone Madness , SP , Core -Sound make great sounding mic's for under $ 250 ( and I heard great sounding MM"s for not even $ 175 !) .

If I were you I would sell them again at Ebay and get something better , if you are serious about taping ( you did find this page so you are probably serious !) .

Think about this...you can only make a good recording once !!! Why not have a good mic to do the job ???
Good luck !

But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 12:58:59 PM »
Thank you for your frank advice. I think I will use the Sony's and judge them by myself. Then, if I don't like what I hear I'll sell them. You are right, there are so many possibilities on the internet and you can easily get lost in them. So, step-by-step, I have to learn and listen. This is valid also for the other gears I have now. I red so many posts again the MT24/96, but I like its compactness and I will go stealth 90+% of the times, so, before thrashing it I will see what it gives and then decide.
Thank you again

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »
, but I like its compactness and I will go stealth 90+% of the times,

If you go stealth I think the best choice is the SONY HI MD...either the MZ NH-1 or the new one the MZ RH1 . They are really small ( go figure ;)) , record up to 8 hours and are very reliable . And the soundquality is just great ! If you go stealth you don't want to mess with bigger units like the Ediroll or 24/96 etc.

I am glad you took my opinion on the ECM's in a fair way . I am not trying to put them down but I gave an honest opinion .

This is a fantastic forum . I have learned a lot here . Just browse , read the topics and you will get the bigger picture later ! Good luck !

Oh if you use the mic's make sure you use the low or -20DB setting . You may know this ( and I am sure you do ) but this is how I made bad recordings when I first started ( I had to find out the hard way since there was no one I could ask at the time ! ) .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com