Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-4 case: PortaBrace AR-FR2  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
R-4 case: PortaBrace AR-FR2
« on: October 24, 2006, 12:34:39 PM »
Another post about one of the Marantz recorders and PortaBrace has me checking out the PB bags.  They don't make one specifically for the R-4, but looks like the AR-FR2, made for the Fostex FR-2, would fit well:

FR2:  250 x 220 x 77
 R4:  240 x 217 x 77

I'm reasonably happy with my 4-shelf SoniCase (which I've converted to 3-shelves by removing one shelf).  One thing that's bugged me recently, though - with all the gear packed in, everything fits and stays put nice and snug.  But after removing my 414s, shockmounts, clamps, etc., the shelves flop around and the R-4 swims a bit in the bag.  Not a big deal, mind you, but just got me thinking.  May poke around a bit to see if I can find a used AR-FR2 (doubtful).

The AR-FR2's a pricey option at ~$200, but I love well constructed, purpose-built bags.  Anyway...FWIW.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: R-4 case: PortaBrace AR-FR2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 09:02:26 PM »
Porta-Brace makes quality gear, no doubt.
But that bright blue color just screams,
"Steal this expensive audio gear!!"
Petrol bags also use the bright blue.
Better to use a camRade AudioMate 2
in discrete gray.  Be prepared to pay
a king's ransom, however.

Flintstone

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 09:06:24 PM »
I'm intersted too.  I've got a Nova 5 right now, but I've got to CRAM the R4 in it.
Socks are overrated.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:15:15 PM »
Porta-Brace makes quality gear, no doubt.
But that bright blue color just screams,
"Steal this expensive audio gear!!"
Petrol bags also use the bright blue.
Better to use a camRade AudioMate 2
in discrete gray.  Be prepared to pay
a king's ransom, however.

Flintstone

Yeah, I used to carry my laptop around in a lime green sachel, I think it said Cuba on it or something.  Maybe I can wrap my R4 in duct tape.  It would match the craziness that lurks within the case...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:41:44 PM »
The AudioMate II looks like a very nice bag.  Love the additional side and end pouches.  Better be nice for ~$350!  I'm not too worried about someone lifting my gear bag - it's always on my person or a foot or two away.  At any rate, PortaBrace makes the AR-FR2 in black for ~$40 more.  And it even comes in Camo!  I kinda like the blue, though.  Hmmmm...maybe after my current YS stuff sells I'll try out the PB...   :hmmm:

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:40:34 AM »
Ta heck with the PB Brian.. You saw my Petrol bag at Yonder... I have never seeen an audio bag that well designed. Every compartment is internally linked and each space can be fully adjusted for size. Now that I have it I wouldn't dream of hauling my stuff around in anything ellse. Worth every damn penny IMHO.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:46:54 AM »
Ta heck with the PB Brian.. You saw my Petrol bag at Yonder... I have never seeen an audio bag that well designed. Every compartment is internally linked and each space can be fully adjusted for size. Now that I have it I wouldn't dream of hauling my stuff around in anything ellse. Worth every damn penny IMHO.

agreed wholeheartedly.  The Petrol is without a doubt pricey, but no bag touches it when it comes to functionality

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »

I saw it, but now wish I'd taken a closer look.  Definitely considering the Petrol bags as well.  Unfortunately, looks like the PEGZ-3 isn't quite tall enough for the beastly R-4.   :-\

The PB website sucks - provides almost no information about the bags (at least that I can find) - inner dimensions, outer dimensions, pocket volumes, etc.  Gonna have to give them a call to find out if I can pack all the rest of my stuff into the accessory pouch(es).

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 02:06:26 PM »
Just spoke with Ken at PortaBrace.  He recommended against using the FR2 bag for the R-4 due to their different designs.  Personally, I don't see why it would matter.  There's a difference of only a few millimeters in the FR2/R4 physical dimensions, both units require side flap access for various connectors (which the bag has), and both units have buttons on the top face of the unit (looks like the only way to access the top face is to slide one's hand into the main cavity - no biggie, that's what I do today).

At any rate, I'm going to hold off for a bit, because he indicated they have an R-4 bag coming out soon.  He wasn't able to give me specific dates, but he said design is completely done, and PB simply needs to place the production order.  Who knows how long, then - could be weeks, could be months.  But he said to email him at ken@portabrace.com and he'll contact me when the R-4 bag becomes available.

Also found out the AR-FR2 (and likely the R4 bag) come standard with the RM-Multi pouch, but if that's too small (as is likely the case for me) it's possible to upgrade to the RM-Deluxe.  Both are detachable via velcro.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com