Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need Opinions on Stock R4  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
I need Opinions on Stock R4
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:00:10 PM »
I'd really like to get the busman mod, but the new mics I might be getting might make it impossible to afford it. How do people generally fell about mics > r4? Is it passable until I can afford the mod? I don’t want to jinx it, but the mics are vintage sd mics and I’d use them mostly at louder shows. Will the R4 be able to handle it?

Thanks!
Retired Taper

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: I need Opinions on Stock R4
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:07:28 PM »
Pretty much every recording in the past six months on my website (see sig) was into an R4 using either C4s, 391/93s, 481/83s, or some combination of those mics plus matrixed SBDs on some. Also, some were spot mic'ed, but most were a combo of stereo pair plus a spot mic or two or the SBD into a stock R4. Listen for yourself. Also, search the LMA for R4 recordings.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:38:49 PM »
Obviously this is a completely subjective thing. IMO mics > R4 is good. It's not on the level of the highest end pre/ad units that are commonly used for our purposes, but it's just a step below them. so could it be better? certainly, but it is not bad stock.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:10:28 AM »
I opted NOT to get the mod on the R4, and I could not be happier with the unit.  I don't think you'll hear much difference unless you are recording acoustic instruments in a very quiet environment.  Look at it this way...if you get the R4 through Cascade, you can always get the mod later.  You don't have to do it when you purchase it.
Socks are overrated.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
You will notice a difference on all types of music right away. It is a big improvement and with the noise floor/ gain mod now it is so extremely quiet and good for loud shows.

As Balou2 said you can always get the mod later if you would like but I would say pay the extra dough and end up with something you will be happy with for a very long time.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 12:35:48 PM »
I know where to look for pricing for the Oade mods to R4.
Where online is the pricing and description for the Busman mods?

Flintstone

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 01:13:07 PM »
Here is info on my mod scroll down and you will see the description where it says custom pre amp upgrades.

http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=94&prodid=1598

"Just Mod It"

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 02:54:59 PM »
Then I have a question...

I run the V3 in front of the R4 as my pre-amp.  This generally means the gain on the R4 is turned all the way down.  Reading bus' and Brian's words illustrates that the modification would further enhance the sound of my recordings.  Am I correct?
Socks are overrated.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 03:09:26 PM »
I run the V3 in front of the R4 as my pre-amp.  This generally means the gain on the R4 is turned all the way down.  Reading bus' and Brian's words illustrates that the modification would further enhance the sound of my recordings.  Am I correct?

You'd still receive some sonic characteristics of the mods, yes, though not as much as if you ran mic-in to the R4. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
Here is info on my mod scroll down and you will see the description where it says custom pre amp upgrades.

http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=94&prodid=1598

Yeah, but how much are they?  Can you post a price (or approximate price)?

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 10:47:04 PM »
$300 for all 4 channels

"Just Mod It"

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 12:25:46 AM »
$300 for all 4 channels

Thanks Chris!

OK, I've done my own mods, but I can certainly recommend others get it modded.  The difference in improved sound and lower noise is worth it...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 02:02:45 PM »
Question. I'm thinking about getting this unit. Any opinions on Oade vs. Busman mod?
How are people liking their R4's? Are they rugged and reliable? Is the HDD user replaceable?

Thanks!
mandoman

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »
Question. I'm thinking about getting this unit. Any opinions on Oade vs. Busman mod?
How are people liking their R4's? Are they rugged and reliable? Is the HDD user replaceable?

Thanks!
mandoman

I love mine.  Even for two-track stuff it is just very convenient.  Large level meters, nice controls, etc.  It even has an onscreen clock so I can tell what time it is (I don't wear a watch).

The only complaint I have is that it is sensitve to vibration.  If you put it on a hard surface (that is not solid) make sure to put something soft like a coat or sweater under it.  I've lost two shows due to vibration causing skipping.  Otherwise it is great.

Oh yeah, hard drive is replaceable, but you have to jump through a few hoops to get the new drive to work.  I've posted here about this, but I don't know how to find my old post.  Maybe someone else can help me out and link to it...

Richard

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 02:08:54 PM »

Thanks!
mandoman
at least one user on here replaced the hard drive opn their R4 with a larger one. So depending on your level of techincal ability it is possible. I love my unit, and find it very rugged and reliable. I haven't had a single problem since buying mine. I personally haven't heard enough of either the busman or the oade mods to formulate an opinion either way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com