Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replacing Nomad Jukebox 3  (Read 1834 times)

Offline metmum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Replacing Nomad Jukebox 3
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:51:31 AM »
Not sure if this is the right are for this??

Anyway my jukebox 3 is starting to play up a bit, the on/off button keeps sticking which when I try to lock the buttons sometimes switchs it off which is a pain when recording something, so I'm looking to replace it.

I'm not sure what is the best rig to replace it with though.  I want something that is simple to use in the field (where you can set it up before hand and press record if possible).  Something fairly small for stealth recording if needed.  I use either a Sony ECM719 (battery powered) or SP-CMC 8 Cardiod mics with a battery box.

I'm not too bothered by the cost, I live in the UK but don't mind ordering from Sound professionals espically as the exchange rate is good at the moment, I am probably looking at between £200-£300 (which i think at current rates is about $380- 580 more or less).

I keep looking at the Edriol R9 but not sure if this will fit the requirements and how easy it is too use. Also I don't know much about the cards the new stuff records on.

Any help will be helpful.

Thanks
 ;D

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Re: Replacing Nomad Jukebox 3
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 09:53:31 AM »
I am completely biased, but you may want to look at the iriver h120.  It fits the bill with a smaller form and one-button record.  Problem is, they've been out of production for a while.  The original unit functions very well with the rockbox firmware.  Problem is a lot of the units sold on ebay have issues - depleted batteries and dodgy hdds make it hard to commit to.

Another more recent release is the zoom-h4 - seems like its a damn good unit - refer to threads on here for more feedback. Sorry i can't help you more.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 10:07:34 AM »
Either an iRiver or an R09 would probably suit your needs.  I use both.  I can vouch for the iRIver w/CMC8s; haven't run them into my R09 yet (cuz it's usually running side-by-side with the iRiver rig!) although I plan to at some point.

Pros and cons:

iRiver H120/140

PROS
Small and very discreet (plus looks like an MP3 player so ideal for stealthing)
No need for external media
Able to run optical-in if you go to external pre
Great playback device
super-rugged case (metal) - very sturdy
superlong battery life

CONS
only 16 bit
out of production thus only used and refurbs available
Rockbox firmware is fabulous but not "officially" supported
Slightly complex interface - easier to USE but harder to learn than, say, the JB3
built-in rechargeable battery will eventually give out - I gather it is replaceable but it's a workaround

R09
PROS
24bit
Surprisingly good internal mics, pre and AD
absolute no-brainer easy-to-use interface
Now officially supports larger SD cards
Takes AA batteries
very small and stealthable - when in a case it looks like a Smartphone

CONS
Built-in pre has a nice quality but when running at high gain there is more bkgrnd hiss than one would like
Slightly flimsy feeling compared to the brick-like iRiver or the heavy JB3
Awkward battery cover design (great in theory, but a bit weird in practice)
No built-in battery
Requires external media
No digital- in
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 10:10:43 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:21:40 AM »

Anyway my jukebox 3 is starting to play up a bit, the on/off button keeps sticking which when I try to lock the buttons sometimes switchs it off which is a pain when recording something, so I'm looking to replace it.

Thanks
 ;D

FWIW - This is not an unheard of problem...see below from JB3 FAQ - might be worth a shot trying to fix it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=16338.0

[377] My power / hold button sticks - help!!

Another fairly common problem, and one that can be a major PITA - if you're especially unlucky, it may stick when you attempt to put the JB3 on hold while recording, and instead power off!  Two potential problems / solutions:

* It's just plain dirty.  Open up the JB3 and clean it.
    * The hole in the case through which the power button slides is a bit snug.  Sanding / shaving down the hole just a wee bit will create enough clearance so it doesn't stick.

Offline metmum

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:17:45 PM »

Thanks
 ;D

FWIW - This is not an unheard of problem...see below from JB3 FAQ - might be worth a shot trying to fix it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=16338.0

[377] My power / hold button sticks - help!!

Another fairly common problem, and one that can be a major PITA - if you're especially unlucky, it may stick when you attempt to put the JB3 on hold while recording, and instead power off!  Two potential problems / solutions:

* It's just plain dirty.  Open up the JB3 and clean it.
    * The hole in the case through which the power button slides is a bit snug.  Sanding / shaving down the hole just a wee bit will create enough clearance so it doesn't stick.

Thanks for everybodies help, had a go at cleaning it and so far it seems to have solved the problem  ;D Don't know for how long but at least I can save some more money for a eventual replacement

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com