Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Time to give up the Bm2p+ UA5???  (Read 2507 times)

Offline jasonw

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
Time to give up the Bm2p+ UA5???
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:16:23 PM »
Well hopefully I will be getting a R09.  So would it be wise to keep the r09?

I currently run AT853 > Sp batt box > UA-5 > jb3

I do need the money but I love what the UA-5 has done for me.

suggestions?  what would you do....

Mics: Franken Naks / Cp2
Pre: BM2p+ UA-5
Recorders: Iriver

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Time to give up the Bm2p+ UA5???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:48:19 PM »
The UA5 doesn't have analog passthrough, so your signal chain would be:  mics > batt box > UA5 pre > UA5 ADC > UA5 DAC > R09 ADC.  IMO, no point in running through the UA5's ADC and then DAC just to hit the R09's ADC.  I'd run mics > batt box > R09 (if it provides enough gain).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:54:44 PM »
Before the UA-5 I was just going AT853 > Sp batt box > JB3....so I figure replace the jb3 with the r09 would yeild similar results.  I just feel bad about getting rid of the UA-5....I may hold on to it longer b/c it has been good to me.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:05:38 AM »
Before the UA-5 I was just going AT853 > Sp batt box > JB3....so I figure replace the jb3 with the r09 would yeild similar results.  I just feel bad about getting rid of the UA-5....I may hold on to it longer b/c it has been good to me.

I'm just guessing here, but I would expect R09 to sound better than the NJB3, but not quite as good as the UA5.

In either case you should be running a three wire battery box, or phantom adapters.  Those will probably make the most difference in your sound right away.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:14:54 AM »
Keep the mod UA-5, the price has dropped and you will be losing a bunch of money on it (look like the last one went for a little over $300).  Not worth it if you ask me unless you plan to stealth exclusively.  Besides, what are you gonna do when you get some mics that require phantom powering (like some SD or LD mics)?  You'll have to start all over in addition to buying the mics themselves.

I really love these mod UA-5s (I now own two: W+ and T+), they are awesome little units: easy to power, inputs on the front, light and no bullshit (they are perfect for a Lowepro Nova 3AW).  I cannot compare them to these new all in one boxes like the mod PMD671 and HD-P2 in terms of sound but they probably are in the same league after the mods.  The R09 is great stealth machine from what I have heard, but the unit has issues with the jacks (mini-in only?).

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:59 AM »

I'm just guessing here, but I would expect R09 to sound better than the NJB3, but not quite as good as the UA5.

In either case you should be running a three wire battery box, or phantom adapters.  Those will probably make the most difference in your sound right away.

Richard

Yeah I will probably keep the UA-5 b/c I have the money to spare...and would like to get some AKG bluelines...The R09 will be great for stealthing...maybe I can work up and have 2 completely diff rigs. 

what are these phantom adapters you speak of???  And who can do the 3 wire batt box?

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:18:46 AM »
I also say keep the UA5.  Since I got my R4 I've kept my Oade WUa5 mostly for backup if I ever needed it.  I've also used it as a second setup at festivals or a loaner unit for friends.

Just as a side note.... I have no affiliation with the seller but there is currently a set of sonic studios mics with a sonic studios battery box in the yard sale.  I have slightly different models but it makes for a kick a$$ stealth setup when combined with the R9.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline jasonw

• Taperssection Member
  • Formerly "jb3newbie"
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:25:05 AM »
I also say keep the UA5.  Since I got my R4 I've kept my Oade WUa5 mostly for backup if I ever needed it.  I've also used it as a second setup at festivals or a loaner unit for friends.

Just as a side note.... I have no affiliation with the seller but there is currently a set of sonic studios mics with a sonic studios battery box in the yard sale.  I have slightly different models but it makes for a kick a$$ stealth setup when combined with the R9.

Maybe point me in the directon to those mics....cant seemt o find the thread.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 01:50:41 AM »
The yard sale thread is:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,77691.0.html

I have the DSM6SMs and the mics for sale are the 6SLs which means they will be able to handle more rock and roll/loud/bass heavy music.

Guysonic here on the board makes the gear and can answer all the technical questions.  I've been a sonic studios user for a few years now and can give you my perspective from a users experience.  PM me if you have any questions.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com