Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations for a LARGE bag, preferably backpack  (Read 5570 times)

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
Recommendations for a LARGE bag, preferably backpack
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
As my new rig has grown rather large, I am busting out of my very large Targus backpack.  I would prefer to stay in backpack mode, as opposed to the Portabrace or other over the shoulder models.  I need some serious room:  R-4 Pro, V3, batteries, TLM 170s, Windscreens (large), cables, clamps, and the usual taper clutter.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recommendations for a LARGE bag, preferably backpack
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:51:14 PM »
man... you are gonna need a monster of a bag if the rakgear doesn't work.

I've got a rakgear and I can fit my R4, 2 ADK TLs, 2 ADK super mounts, 2 AKG 460s in a pelican case, 4 15' fat ass XLR cables,  2 shocks, windscreens, 4 different clamps, 2 stereo bars, 2 large lion batteries, and all the misc taper junk. All that and I still have a little room left over.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »
Mine is not a Rakgear.  I should probably scope one of those out to see whether it will fit.  I have the Neumanns in a Pelican 1200, and the windscreens are like balloons, in a tupperware.  Might fit.  We'll see.  Thanks. +T
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:55 PM »
I am probably going to end up running my LowePro Magnum as I have close to the same gear you listed (R4, V3, etc.)  You do know that LowePro offers backpack straps for their bags.  Allows you to carry like a backpack instead of over one shoulder.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belts_and_Harnesses/harness/

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:47:23 PM »
LowePro Magnum- for when you have to carry everything including the kitchen sink.

its a great bag no doubt and with the built in rain fly its what I will be using again for outdoor shows.
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 01:54:17 PM »
LowePro Magnum- for when you have to carry everything including the kitchen sink.

its a great bag no doubt and with the built in rain fly its what I will be using again for outdoor shows.

No doubt on the size.  I have taken off the two side pockets to make it a little more manageable.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:54:35 PM »
just about to recommend the Lowepro Magnum as well  ;D

i can fit, with a little room to spare

v2 or psp2
up to 4 extra 722 batteries
up to 3 dvd style li-ion batteries
2 pairs 15' XLR
2 clamps
extra akg t-bar
small flashlight
roll of tape
pelican 1060 with mics and caps
leatherman
+misc notepads pens earplugs, spdif cable etc

heres a photo with gear

i also removed the sidepockets which are about 5x5x2.5 inches each but use them when the need be

the shoulder strap is very well padded but I have thought about grabbing the backpack harness for festis

my only concern would be the depth of the r-4, not sure how it compares to the 722

JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »
Also will recommend a Magnum. I didn't even realize I could remove those side pockets!

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 10:37:48 PM »
The R-4 Pro is bigger than the 744.   The R-4 is roughly 9 x 9.25".  I have my Neumanns in a Pelican 1200.  I am not sure it would all get in there.  Maybe if I used the side pockets for the extra gear.  I need to see if I can find a local retailer, and drag all my shit in and see whether it fits.  Thanks for all the ideas.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:40:04 PM by gratefulphish »

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 10:51:20 AM »
I recommend a Targus Rakgear Notebook Deluxe Model. I use it and it has lots of space. Portabrace also makes a backpack model, but I'm not sure what the number is.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 10:37:07 AM »
You might find something at this link for tackle boxes at cabelas, there anywhere from 30 and up
http://www.cabelas.com/
I ended up gutting my tackle box and using it for Mic boxes, fat WS, M148, P2 and cables,  side/ front/ back
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »
The main problem with a backpack is going to be the R4. Take this from someone who owns one too. I actually often use a backpack for everything else but the R4, and then sling the R4 in its cheesy original case slung over my shoulder seperately -- I actually kind of like this approach, but it might not work for you?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline baustin

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »
As my new rig has grown rather large, I am busting out of my very large Targus backpack.  I would prefer to stay in backpack mode, as opposed to the Portabrace or other over the shoulder models.  I need some serious room:  R-4 Pro, V3, batteries, TLM 170s, Windscreens (large), cables, clamps, and the usual taper clutter.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,77378.0.html
neumann u89i's + shockmounts
v3
744t
eco-charge
15 ft xlr cables
3 ft xlr interconnects
extra goodies

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 03:01:56 AM »
That looks nice, but I doubt that it is much larger than my very large Targus.  I can get everything in there, in general, inlcuding my R-4 pro, the V3, mics in a Pelican 1200, and windscreens separately, and my 15' cables.  It's the damn 35' cables for the other channels that are the killer.  And then there are headphones, clamps and accessories and on and on.  I should just use my Rollaboard and get it over with.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 10:53:35 AM »
I think the size of the bag is only one component to an effective solution.  I think changing the way one carries gear also has a significant impact.  No specific gear back recommendation here, but a few comments...

It's the damn 35' cables for the other channels that are the killer.

FWIW, I've found the best way to schlep cables is not inside the bag, but rather attached to the outside of the bag.  I simply loop my SoniCase should strap through the center of each cable coil and they dangle off the top edge of the bag.

And then there are headphones, clamps and accessories and on and on.

What headphones?  When I used to carry my Sony MDR-7605, I gave up trying to stuff them inside the bag.  Instead, I tossed them in a small pouch that I again hung off the outside of the bag.  Now, I carry Etymotic ER-6s and they easily fit inside the bag.

What clamps?  I've found the Windtech "C"-Type clamps the most compact and flexible of the ones I've used.  'Course, I also carry a SuperClamp, too, which gets a bit bulky.

Couple additional things I've done (or do sometimes) to reduce the size of stuff I'm carrying:

• carrying my 414 shockmounts attached to my mic stand, sometimes;  saves a LOT of room inside the bag for other stuff, and after folding up the shockmounts doesn't make the stand all -that- much bigger
  • replace the hard plastic, foam-lined case (talk about bulky) for my 414s and use padded camera lens pouches instead;  while they won't offer protection if my bag gets run over by a car, they - along with the padded SoniCase - will serve their purpose if I drop my bag (the accident most likely to occur that may damage my gear)

FWIW, here's a list and pics of what I cram into my 4-shelf SoniCase.  For most recordings, I'm now down to just the SoniCase with no accessory pouch (by moving the shockmounts onto the stand).  In that new setup, if I added a V3, I'd simply transfer the contents of one shelf to the accessory pouch and slot the V3 in the bag, for a total of SoniCase + 1 accessory pouch.

$0.02
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com