Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playin' w/some fun gear  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Playin' w/some fun gear
« on: February 09, 2007, 07:39:12 AM »
so Capt. Carl came over yesterday, and brought his spanky new McIntosh 6500 Integ. amp.  What a beauty!  And a nice sound ta boot.  Very sweet.  Punchy...great bass response.  Wish I had taken some pics of it.  Carl can add to this thread w/those.

I use a sub w/my system.  I've got it dialed in perfectly so that you can't even tell its on.  We didn't use it w/the Mc, and damn'd if it didn't need it!  Sounded great.  Lovely piece of gear.  Carl will be pleased w/that as a nice office system.

My Cyclops is coming along nicely.  It takes several weeks of being left on before the unit is "fully charged up and ready", a claim I was skeptical about but certainly came to be realized.  It was night and day on one afternoon last week (after running for 2 weeks or so) when I applied some volume and listened to "modern times" and was shocked by what I heard. 
I dont think i've ever heard an amp produce such stable images.  It carves the air!
money well spent w/that sucker.  Bravo Klaus!  I love the minimal approach.  one input to an amp w/a volume control (no preamp section).  It does the job in style.

new CIA VDA2 DAC...can't comment on what it sounds like yet.  but I like it.  :-)  It is certainly  light years ahead of the analog output of my crappy toshiba udp.

the big surprise are these sleeper von schweikert vr2100 speakers.  not much to look at, but gawddamn' do they sound nice.  they do what I like...big sound stage that goes well outside of the speakers and pinpoint imaging (or the ability to do it if called upon).  Bass response is excellent.  Their setup is front and rear firing tweeter (w/gain control on the back, just like the vr2), a 5" driver and then a 10" side firing whoofer.  92db efficiency !  so they can be driven by anything.  Not the last word in detail and resolution.  I hear a little harshness from time to time in certain frequencies.  But nothing terrible.  I can certainly live it it for the $600 investment.
The 2nd surprise is that Sony sub-whoofer I picked up a few months back.  Now that it is broken in fully...wow.  this thing kicks ass..., and integrates so perfectly w/the VRs that, as I stated above, you cant tell its there really.  It just adds the impact of bass information w/o adding unnecessary gain to bloat the bottom end.  It seems fast as hell too.  Carl was impressed with it, and that says a lot because he's a bit of a brand snob when it comes to high audio toys.  No offense Carl, but this is a piece I wouldn't see you trying out on your own. 
Any way, i'm happy. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 07:57:05 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Re: Playin' w/some fun gear
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:55:06 AM »
Nick, I'm interested in hearing you thoughts on the CIA VDA2 DAC! I have been considering the PS Audio Ultralink III and the Mytek Stereo96 DAC and I'm leaning towards the PS Audio as of now! I haven't been able to find a CIA to listen to and not too many reviews out there but I am interested!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
you can borrow it anytime Brad.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
Is that the WM500 Sony Sub?  I bought one a few weeks ago.  I did the polyfil/mod podge mod to the sub.  The polyfil mod is simply just filling the sub with polyfill.  The mod podge is putting a few layers of glue on the cone.  With the mods this sub produces extreamly tight, fast bass, with serious air movement.  It is perfect for movies and real nice for music...

I love it.

Here is what I have in my house:

1.2watts per S.F..
All systems are hard wired together in order to play the same playback source. The basement is connected wirelessly via radio transmssion.

Home Theater System:
Fronts: (x2) Sony SS-MB350H
Center: Sony SS-CN550H
Rears: (x2) Sony SS-CR350
Rear Center: Sony SS-CR350
Subwoofer # 1 : Sony SA-WM500
Subwoofer # 2 : Polk Audio PSW350
TV: Sony SXRD 55" A2000 1080p

Remote System: Sherwood RX-4105 Reciever A/B
Back Deck: Presidian POD-4112 Outdoor Speakers
2nd Floor: Infinity CS80R In-Wall Speakers

Basement System:
Reciever: Technics SA-GX490
Fronts: (x2)Pinnacle AC550
Center: Pinnacle AC450
Rear: (x2) Dual LS205EB Bookshelf

2nd Floor Den System: Aiwa Reciever w/ Pioneer 10" 3-way speakers
Studio PA: Insignia HC04091 Reciever w/ RS-40-210 10" PA Monitor Speakers

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com