Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Random 24 bit questions....  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Random 24 bit questions....
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »
Since I just got an r4 last week I am starting to run 24 bit now.  I've got a few logistical questions that I could not find in the archives or through a search.

1. I tracked out the 24/96 file, and dithered/resampled in order to drop the .cue sheet into the program to track the 16 bit file.  How long *should* it take to dither/resample a 1 hour 10 minute set?  It's taking my ibook g4 (plenty of ram) well over 20 minutes in Audacity.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?  I consulted Brian's posted workflow and followed all of the directions and settings.

2. How many of you seed both the 24 bit and 16 bit copies of shows?  Right now I am leaning towards seeding the 16 bit and making the 24 bit available (via a note in the txt file) to anyone else who wants it.  I guess it's just a matter of preference, but some of the 24 bit filesets on etree are hardly touched sometimes, and I would hate to waste the bandwidth if no one will download them.

3. For archiving the original files, do you:

• Save the original, 2gb split files in wav format, or...
  • Align the complete set together, convert to flac and then archive?

I am thinking #2 since I can open the original set without having to align them at a later date.  Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks for the help in advance.  Like I said, I have done quite a bit of searching and reading through this and other boards today, just need some clarification on the basics.  I am really liking what I'm hearing so far, certainly a big improvment over 16 bit.  Looking forward to diving in deeper :)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Random 24 bit questions....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:24:24 PM »
Depending on what type of dithering scheme you use, the time will vary. 20 minutes isn't that long for a 70 minute show. Also, it's the resampling that takes sooooooooo long. The exact same file at 24/48 would take half the time.

I always save the original uncut 24 bit wav exactly as it was recorded, tracked 24 bit FLAC files, and tracked 16 bit files.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
What he said!

Every time I've dithered and down sampled it has taken far longer than 20 minutes, I wish my computer was that fast. ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:56:02 PM »
takes me 15-20 mins to resample and dither a 24/96 1.5 hr set in WL 5.01b
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

BobW

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:41:02 AM »
my "workflow" -

1) All edits, fades, limits, audience compression, etc. done at 96Khz in 32bit float (24bit)
2 Dither,filter, resample (the24/96 to 16/44.1 conversion process)
3) Track in CD Wave
      CD Wave is still $15, breaks on CD Sector boundaries, and is the easiest way to negotiate a hour or two of Wavfile.  It also now does 4GB file sizes.

4) Then SHN or FLAC as desired for Archiving
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:45:21 AM by _bob_ »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 09:45:22 AM »
CD Wave is still $15, breaks on CD Sector boundries, and is the easiest way to negotiate a hour or two of Wavfile.  It also now does 4GB file sizes.

I miss CD Wav  :-[  After switching platforms I can't run it anymore. 

Thanks for the help guys.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »
why would you use CD Wave?  i know why I used it in the past, but most wav editing software does a decent job on the splits (24bit), and then incorporate FLAC Frontend, the SBE are a thing of the past.  i used to be adamant about CD Wave(16bit), but now spliting with WL5 (correctly!) seems way easier and it take much less time because you can batch process...

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:02:35 PM by todd e »

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 11:43:44 AM »
goog thread patrick!
i'm making the jump to 24 bit and i'm sure i'll have a couple questions pop up.
here's one:

regarding 2 gig automatic splits:
do most people have their recorders split @ 2 gig, 1 gig, or do you do it manually i cdwave? it seems like it may be a PITA to cut and paste files together if the auto splits occur in b/w a song. and, does that cause SBE if done incorrectly?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 03:03:33 PM »
goog thread patrick!
here's one:

do most people have their recorders split @ 2 gig, 1 gig, or do you do it manually i cdwave? it seems like it may be a PITA to cut and paste files together if the auto splits occur in b/w a song. and, does that cause SBE if done incorrectly?

there are no SBE's when dealing w/ 24bit files. i have my recorder set to split at 2 gb. i just join them together in wavelab5. very easy.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 08:15:54 AM »
goog thread patrick!
here's one:

Originally the Deva IV & V simply created a long file, too long. Most apps wouldn't open them up. With my input and a few others who are using the Deva for music, we got them to change it so the files broke automatically at 2 GB. Since everything is timecoded, putting them back together again is a snap, just pop the track into your DAW, align the tracks with the timecode and regardless of where the break occurred, the music is seemless.

Now, depending on what you're using for your audio software, this might be a bit harder, but in general, it's really not that bad.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »
::EXTREMELY NEWBIE INQUIRY WARNING::

okay i'm almost embarrassed to ask this one, but hear goes: How do i know the file i'm listening to from my CPU is in fact a 24 bit file? i transferred files recorded at 24/48 and when opened in wavelab 5.0 they are in fact 24/48 files. now when i listen back to them though a set of cans, is what i hear playing back 24 bit audio? fwiw i don't have a soundcard installed. i have some DELL integrated audio something or other ( i have to check the exact name when i get home...)

::END NEWBIE INQUIRY::

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
its possible your soundcard (or lackthereof) will resample/dither on the fly. i think winamp tells you what bit depth/sample rate you are playing through it. you may be able to find some specs of your onboard audio somewhere online.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 03:10:33 PM »
its possible your soundcard (or lackthereof) will resample/dither on the fly. i think winamp tells you what bit depth/sample rate you are playing through it. you may be able to find some specs of your onboard audio somewhere online.

i know i don't have a soundcard and didn't know whether or not is was necessary to playback 24 bit files via speakers/headphones. the hardware package is the DELL analog intergrated audio (soundMAX i believe). i'm fairly certain the software capabilities are there, i wonder about the hardware  ???

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 08:18:53 AM »
24 bits -- it is the very rare person with very good equipment that can hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit playback at all. If your equipment is the normal computer soundcard it generally is a bit less than 16 bit and you will not hear the difference. The big point in running 24 bits is that it saves you a lot of options for postprocesing. The general idea, as compared to 16 bits, is to lower the gain something like 10dB and then raise it in again in your computer at home. This way you have 10dB of headroom for that non-expected higher volume with no cost in increased noise.

Gunnar

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 11:16:14 AM »
24 bits -- it is the very rare person with very good equipment that can hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit playback at all. If your equipment is the normal computer soundcard it generally is a bit less than 16 bit and you will not hear the difference. The big point in running 24 bits is that it saves you a lot of options for postprocesing. The general idea, as compared to 16 bits, is to lower the gain something like 10dB and then raise it in again in your computer at home. This way you have 10dB of headroom for that non-expected higher volume with no cost in increased noise.

Gunnar

I do all of my postprocessing on an ibook g4, with a 24 bit soundcard, and I can safely say that I can hear the difference between 24 and 16 bit recordings even through the stock laptop speakers.  Using some better monitors for transferring really makes the recordings shine.  I am absolutely loving 24 bit right now.  Thanks for the help everyone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com