Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Those fuzzy balls for the mics...  (Read 3455 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Those fuzzy balls for the mics...
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:40:26 PM »
Damn... I hate asking stupid questions... but here goes:

How important are those fuzzy balls that go on the end of the mics?  I can never keep them on, so I've pretty much just gave up on trying to keep them on the mics.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Those fuzzy balls for the mics...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:44:39 PM »
I think they are pretty important.  Inside a bar, they protect your mics from smoke, etc.  Outside, they eliminate wind-noise. 

If you run without them inside, you won't run into any issues with sound, in fact you may notice better high end.  However, if you run without them outside, you'll get wind noise.  WN sounds like a rumble.  If you've ever blown into a microphone and heard the "wooooof" come out of the speakers, then you know what wind noise sounds like.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »
Damn... I hate asking stupid questions... but here goes:

How important are those fuzzy balls that go on the end of the mics?  I can never keep them on, so I've pretty much just gave up on trying to keep them on the mics.

If you need to keep the wind out of the mic they are very important. Some people even use them inside to keep out air conditioning breeze.. So they are important but if you can get away with not using them I always recommend it because they do change the sound of the mics. The tend to attenuate the higher frequencies. Really expensive ones don't do it to bad. But they all do it to some degree or another.

Chris Church

The best company for windscreens is Windtech. They make windscreens for pretty much everyone.
http://www.windtech.ws/ there is not a mic made that they don't have a windscreen for.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:46:55 PM »
I'm assuming you're referring to windscreens and not dead-rat covers?

They're pretty important, they keep smoke, dust, and other particles out of your mic capsules.  Not to mention they block wind and can combat some pesky air conditioning units.  :P

What kind of mics do you use?  If they're too big, or not staying on, get some smaller ones, or some replacement screens if the originals have worn out or gotten stretched.

EDIT:  Got beat to it by two other people, oh well :)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline MarkF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »
The best company for windscreens is Windtech. They make windscreens for pretty much everyone.
http://www.windtech.ws/ there is not a mic made that they don't have a windscreen for.

What series fits your cardoid mic?
open: SP C-4 > Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables > UA5 (T+ mod)> H120/JB3

not so open: Church Audio Cardoid mics > ST-9100 preamp > H120

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:27:10 PM »
I'm assuming you're referring to windscreens and not dead-rat covers?

They're pretty important, they keep smoke, dust, and other particles out of your mic capsules.  Not to mention they block wind and can combat some pesky air conditioning units.  :P

What kind of mics do you use?  If they're too big, or not staying on, get some smaller ones, or some replacement screens if the originals have worn out or gotten stretched.

EDIT:  Got beat to it by two other people, oh well :)

This is especially true for condenser mics.  When powered up they actually attract dust/smoke particles.  If you're running in bars and such you can over time accumulate a film over the membrane which will reduce the performance of your microphones.

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 08:03:22 PM »

What series fits your cardoid mic?
1500 series fit my cardioids
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »
well I used a rycote wind jammer for GOTV 2006, rained the entire time, kept my $4000.00+  stereo mic bone dry, I hate umbrella's.

can you tell its pouring rain on this recording, can you tell there is a wind jammer?

http://www.archive.org/download/RhythmDevils2006-08-19.schoeps/RhythmDevils2006-08-19schoepsd102.flac

Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.223 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com