Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Problem  (Read 5550 times)

Offline rocknroll54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping Problem
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:58:35 AM »
Hey guys. Alright so I'm running:
C4's-->XLR's-->Art Phantom II-->MIT 176's-->JB3

I taped Keller Williams Thursday evening, and everything seemed to be going fine. When I got home and listened to the tape, the WAV file that came off of the JB3 was only 411MB...
My bud Chris's (DMBprez) WAV file came out to be around 1.6GB...

I set the format on the JB3 to be the highest quality WAV format possible, although the tape only came out to be sub-par sounding and small. Anyone know what I did wrong?
C4's>Art Phantom II>MIT 176's>JB3

Roving Sign

Re: Taping Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »
How long was the set...?

Looks like you need something to add more gain...your probably not getting anywhere near line level (assuming you are using the JB3 "Line Input" setting.)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
Looks like you need something to add more gain...your probably not getting anywhere near line level (assuming you are using the JB3 "Line Input" setting.)

uncompressed 16bit 44.1k WAV file size would be determined by length only wouldn't it? A FLAC file typically compresses smaller when the volume is low. So if I understand your thinking properly, I'm not sure that is the problem.

Was your buddies recording 24bit?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »

uncompressed 16bit 44.1k WAV file size would be determined by length only wouldn't it? A FLAC file typically compresses smaller when the volume is low. So if I understand your thinking properly, I'm not sure that is the problem.

Was your buddies recording 24bit?

Im not really looking at the file size issue - without knowing how long the set was...cant make any judgements there...although it sounds like his buddy recorded at a higher resolution.

..."sub par and small" sounds like not enough gain - (no preamp in the chain...)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:46:15 PM »
or he accidentally recorded in mp3.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »
you had the phantom @ 48v?

411 mb is a little over 40mins @ 16/44 wav.

db

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »
or he accidentally recorded in mp3.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rocknroll54

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 09:02:43 PM »
I for sure had the Phantom at 48v. I know I didn't record in mp3 for sure as well. The set was about 2 and a half hours. I'm still not sure what is wrong here, this is getting frusturating.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »
Check the file format. I'm putting my money on MP3. I've done it...once. Now I'm super anal to check that it's recording a 16/44.1 WAV file.

Good news is that a 1.6GB WAV file would probably make at least at 256k MP3 (maybe 320k), which is much better than a 128k MP3 (I think that is the JB3 default).

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 03:14:24 AM »
I for sure had the Phantom at 48v. I know I didn't record in mp3 for sure as well. The set was about 2 and a half hours. I'm still not sure what is wrong here, this is getting frusturating.

2 and a half hours and only 411 mb = mp3
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 08:01:41 AM »
If you were using the line-in (as opposed to the optical-in) on the JB3, it's possible you set the format to be WAV, but used something other than 44.1kHz (e.g., 22.05kHz, 11.025kHz) as the sample rate, which would still give you a WAV file, but one that's a lot smaller (like half or a quarter of what it should be).

I did this once, when I had forgotten that, when using optical-in, there's just "WAV" format (no sample rate), but when using line-in, you have to select WAV and the sample rate. One night I recorded optical-in, followed by a line-in recording the next day, and ended up using 11.025kHz sample rate on it, as it was the format that's in the place on the menu where "WAV" is for optical-in recordings.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:52 AM »

thats bound to be what it is. we have all done this at one time or the other, by mistake. that scroll wheel can be touchy at times.

Roving Sign

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »

thats bound to be what it is. we have all done this at one time or the other, by mistake. that scroll wheel can be touchy at times.

But wouldn't it be obvious when he transfered the file?...it would have an .mp3 extension, correct?...(guess it depends on how you have your Windows settings or what software you use to transfer...)

I was also thinking he might have selected one of lower sample rates like 22khz...that would be easy to do and the file would still have the .wav extension...

We need a right click here...!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:49:25 AM by Roving Sign »

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 01:04:50 PM »

I can honestly say I have never recorded in mp3.

If you were using the line-in (as opposed to the optical-in) on the JB3, it's possible you set the format to be WAV, but used something other than 44.1kHz (e.g., 22.05kHz, 11.025kHz) as the sample rate, which would still give you a WAV file, but one that's a lot smaller (like half or a quarter of what it should be).

I did this once, when I had forgotten that, when using optical-in, there's just "WAV" format (no sample rate), but when using line-in, you have to select WAV and the sample rate. One night I recorded optical-in, followed by a line-in recording the next day, and ended up using 11.025kHz sample rate on it, as it was the format that's in the place on the menu where "WAV" is for optical-in recordings.

I think we have a winner ;)  I have only used line in on mine doing sbds and have almost done that.

Offline rocknroll54

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »

But wouldn't it be obvious when he transfered the file?...it would have an .mp3 extension, correct?...(guess it depends on how you have your Windows settings or what software you use to transfer...)

I was also thinking he might have selected one of lower sample rates like 22khz...that would be easy to do and the file would still have the .wav extension...

We need a right click here...!

Yeah, the extension does not say .mp3, so I probably just put it on the wrong WAV setting at this point. Thanks for the input guys.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com