Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Too much SPL, what's it sound like?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline skokiebob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Too much SPL, what's it sound like?
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:20:52 PM »
Hello again to my favorite group of strangers. I recorded a show and never got anywhere near clipping, no red light on my R09, and when I played back I've got spots of what sound like digi pops where the band got loud (Chili Peppers, and they got LOUD!) Did my mics get overloaded with too much SPL? As I keep finding new ways too screw up recordings I hope to only commit each offense once, Thanks for your help.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Too much SPL, what's it sound like?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:42:39 PM »

Digital distortion often referred to as "drop out" where there is no audio for a second or two. Or you might here a clicking sound for a second. This happens when your Analog section or first stage of your recorders preamp requires more amplitude then your Analog to digital converter can supply. This limit is expressed in decibels the limit for all digital is 0db.... So if you had a huge spike it could overload the digital portion of your recorder. You have to remember that there is always going to be some trial and error when recording shows. I often think of how amazing it is that some of you guys pull such good tapes with out getting the privilege of a sound check. You have to get levels right on the fly it's better to be shy then to bold when it comes to setting levels. Next time back it off a bit more make a mental note of where your levels are for the next show. Its not a guarantee that it will be the same but it will get you in the ball park if its a similar show in a similar venue. Good luck with your recording.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
Re: Too much SPL, what's it sound like?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 02:51:01 PM »
Tell us more about your rig and we will be better equiped to troubleshoot.  I used to have SPL problems with mt SP rig - it generally sounded like crunching when a kick drum or somethings loud was happening. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com