Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hard Drive Speeds/FireWire Chaining  (Read 1463 times)

Offline joeybyron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hard Drive Speeds/FireWire Chaining
« on: March 05, 2007, 11:00:02 PM »
Hello, I am trying to decide between a PC or a MAC laptop for 8 track recording and had some questions about computer hardware.

I really want to buy a MAC to get the experience of not using a PC but am confused as to what would be the best setup for my Saffire 26.

The MacBook I want has the 2.0 Core 2 Duo with 1G of ram, however the HD speed is only 5400 RPM is this fast enough to record 8 tracks with no problem?

I got the advice to write the information to an external firewire drive with a faster RPM speed a) because of the faster speed and b) because it is better to write to the HD that does not have the OS on it. Is this true?

Another problem I am seeing is that the Macbook only has 1 Firewire port, so i could not have my saffire and and external HD connected at the same time.

The IS guy at work told me it may be possible to connect the external HD to the Saffire and the Saffire to the MacBook ie daisy chain them.  I have never heard of this. Has anyone seen this done?

I would appreciate if someone could help me clear up all of this information.  Thanks

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Hard Drive Speeds/FireWire Chaining
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:42:15 AM »
The MacBook I want has the 2.0 Core 2 Duo with 1G of ram, however the HD speed is only 5400 RPM is this fast enough to record 8 tracks with no problem?

Pretty safe bet. I have certainly recorded more tracks on a 5400rpm internal with much LESS processor power. Same RAM though. Upgrade to a 7200rpm internal drive and you won't have a worry.

I got the advice to write the information to an external firewire drive with a faster RPM speed a) because of the faster speed and b) because it is better to write to the HD that does not have the OS on it. Is this true?

Yes both are true. This is a good idea if you want to make it happen.

Another problem I am seeing is that the Macbook only has 1 Firewire port, so i could not have my saffire and and external HD connected at the same time.

If there is a PCI/MIA (I think) slot you can get a FW card for less than $10 and run a second FW on a second FW buss. Good idea.

The IS guy at work told me it may be possible to connect the external HD to the Saffire and the Saffire to the MacBook ie daisy chain them.  I have never heard of this. Has anyone seen this done?

Yes, this should work. This is not the "best" way to do it. 2 FW busses is.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Hard Drive Speeds/FireWire Chaining
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 08:50:33 PM »
The MacBook has no expansion slot like the MacBook Pro units.  As for which hard drive to record to, tell us more.  8 tracks, but at 16 bit, 24?  44.1, 48, 96kHz?  Those things make a difference.  Daisy chaining should work as well.  Remember, even FW400 has a throughput of 400Mb (50MB) per second, so there should be plenty of room for all 8 tracks and a hard drive on that bus.  Lastly, I'd consider a MacBook Pro.  You get multiple FW ports, both 400 and 800 as well as an expansion slot.  If budget is a concern, think about a previous gen Corre Duo or even last rev of the G4.

keytohwy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com