Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: D3 doesn't turn on  (Read 4615 times)

Offline jonohull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
D3 doesn't turn on
« on: March 31, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »
I plugged in my TCD-D3 today, and it didn't turn on. There were no noises or anything like there usually are. Is there anything I can do, or is it dead?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: D3 doesn't turn on
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 09:52:48 PM »
I plugged in my TCD-D3 today, and it didn't turn on. There were no noises or anything like there usually are. Is there anything I can do, or is it dead?

Is the HOLD switch ON?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 09:54:43 PM »

Is the HOLD switch ON?

Nope. I also tried plugging it into different outlets, but no good.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 12:32:40 AM »

Well somethings broken, but which is it?  Usually the deck is last to just die like this sitting around doing nothing, unless you've dropped it hard after last use. 

First is to check the output of the AC adapter with a voltmeter.  If you don't have one and If you've got a battery to charge on the charger shoe, try this to see if the AC adapter/charger shows any life.  If not a broken AC adapter, then maybe the deck is either not getting a good external DC plug connection (look at adapter DC cord, plug, and inside deck's power jack to see if the center pin looks OK, or maybe something has found its way inside the jack to block the connection?   
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:58:25 AM »

Well somethings broken, but which is it?  Usually the deck is last to just die like this sitting around doing nothing, unless you've dropped it hard after last use. 

First is to check the output of the AC adapter with a voltmeter.  If you don't have one and If you've got a battery to charge on the charger shoe, try this to see if the AC adapter/charger shows any life.  If not a broken AC adapter, then maybe the deck is either not getting a good external DC plug connection (look at adapter DC cord, plug, and inside deck's power jack to see if the center pin looks OK, or maybe something has found its way inside the jack to block the connection?   

The cable looks fine. I don't have a voltmeter or  battery to check it with. Could it have been some sort of power surge? If that heppened, is there anyhing I can do about it? Can I check for this somehow?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:16:21 PM »
Still most likely the AC adapter is broken, but also possible the deck as mentioned before. 

AC adapter power plug going into the deck has inside gripping contacts forks that is supposed to slide onto the pin on the deck's jack, and these have been known to get bent to not make contact.  Difficult to see by looking. 

Checking the AC adapter to be working really is going to need a voltmeter check, so maybe one of your neighbors or friends have one?  Easy to make contact to the outside of the DC power plug barrel, but inside +plus connection requires a small enough to be clearly inserted metal probe contact. 

If voltmeter probe is too large, then use a paper clip for reaching inside to see if the the AC adapter still is alive.

Avoid shorting out the AC adapter when checking.  Be careful to keep the voltmeter probes from toughing each other so if chance the AC adapter is OK, you won't break it from shorting it enough to blow a fuse inside.

The NOT MADE BY SONY AC adapter was NEVER REPAIRABLE, +$170 replacement was only Sony solution, when these (now out of production) supplies were available. 

Many with D3 DAT have found replacement for just running the deck from a Radio Shack AC adapter outputting 6 to 9 volts at ~3/4 ampere (750 milliamperes).  These adapters have many sizes of DC plug with one usually fitting the Sony so bring in the deck to try. 

These Radio Shack plugs also have reversible POLARITY (-minus/+plus) so be CAREFUL to have the plug's INSIDE CENTER connection as the +positive to avoid breaking an otherwise good deck.

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »
Still most likely the AC adapter is broken, but also possible the deck as mentioned before. 

AC adapter power plug going into the deck has inside gripping contacts forks that is supposed to slide onto the pin on the deck's jack, and these have been known to get bent to not make contact.  Difficult to see by looking. 

Checking the AC adapter to be working really is going to need a voltmeter check, so maybe one of your neighbors or friends have one?  Easy to make contact to the outside of the DC power plug barrel, but inside +plus connection requires a small enough to be clearly inserted metal probe contact. 

If voltmeter probe is too large, then use a paper clip for reaching inside to see if the the AC adapter still is alive.

Avoid shorting out the AC adapter when checking.  Be careful to keep the voltmeter probes from toughing each other so if chance the AC adapter is OK, you won't break it from shorting it enough to blow a fuse inside.

The NOT MADE BY SONY AC adapter was NEVER REPAIRABLE, +$170 replacement was only Sony solution, when these (now out of production) supplies were available. 

Many with D3 DAT have found replacement for just running the deck from a Radio Shack AC adapter outputting 6 to 9 volts at ~3/4 ampere (750 milliamperes).  These adapters have many sizes of DC plug with one usually fitting the Sony so bring in the deck to try. 

These Radio Shack plugs also have reversible POLARITY (-minus/+plus) so be CAREFUL to have the plug's INSIDE CENTER connection as the +positive to avoid breaking an otherwise good deck.

Alright, I guess this is as far as I can get without the voltmeter. I'll find one. Maybe this is an excuse to get a new recorder...  :-X

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
I used a voltmeter to check the adapter, and it's getting 9 volts like it should. It must be something with the deck.  :( Is there anything I can do?

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 01:37:41 PM »
Does it work on batteries?

You never really clarified whether you'd tried that or not.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Does it work on batteries?

You never really clarified whether you'd tried that or not.

I don't have a battery to test it with. When I bought it, it didn't come with one.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 04:54:05 PM »
I guess now the question is DID IT EVER WORK after purchasing it (maybe used from somewhere)?

Or did it once work OK, but not now? 

Check the DECK's DC input jack for corrosion or something inside blocking the plug locking securely into the jack, and is nothing seems amiss, maybe have it repaired by(suggestion) www.prodigitalinc.com if it's worth fixing

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
d00d...

Your *D3* Was working as of just a little while ago!!

Rejoice!!  It lasted soooo much longer than the vast majority of them!

I know that doesn't help much but it's really true.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 01:28:36 AM »
I picked up a D100 for 180 bucks. I bet you can get a d8 for less than 100. I'd stay away from any d3 just due to age factor.

Guess what I'm saying is dat recorders are selling for cheap. So are JB3's.

Good luck.

TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline jonohull

• Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 10:58:42 PM »
I was out of town, but now I'm back. Yes, it was woking with the adapter before. I guess if nothing can be done easily with it, it's not a huge disaster. I had only gotten to tape a few shows with it, and I've already backed them up to a hard disc. My next move would probably be to get a newer hard drive or flash based recorder. I was looking at the h120s. I'm in college and on a budget, so would this be a good buy? (second-hand of course...) By the way, thanks for all you responses guys, I appreciate the effort.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com