Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD-P2 owners - check wordclock functionality?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
HD-P2 owners - check wordclock functionality?
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:49:12 PM »
Any HD-P2 owners out there willing / able to do a little test for me:  see if the HD-P2 wordclock input can derive a wordclock signal from a plain S/PDIF signal?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: HD-P2 owners - check wordclock functionality?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 04:25:55 PM »
Brian,

the HD-P2 is my only recorder.  I'm not sure how I would do a test to see if it really sync's up to a S/PDIF data stream without a second recorder to verify that there is no drift between two sources.

that said, in the project menu on the HD-P2, there is a selection for input: analog / digital.  then, there is a seperate selection for clock source, either internal, word clock, or S/PDIF.  based on that, I'd say it's easy to select the analog inputs, but get the clock from an incoming S/PDIF data stream, and not use the internal clock on the HD-P2.

like I said, I haven't verified this, and I'm unsure how I would verify it without a second recorder to use.  if there is a way to verify and run a quick test, let me know and I'll be happy to try it out for you.

- Jason

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
in the project menu on the HD-P2, there is a selection for input: analog / digital.  then, there is a seperate selection for clock source, either internal, word clock, or S/PDIF.  based on that, I'd say it's easy to select the analog inputs, but get the clock from an incoming S/PDIF data stream, and not use the internal clock on the HD-P2.

Yeah, sounds like that would do it.

like I said, I haven't verified this, and I'm unsure how I would verify it without a second recorder to use.  if there is a way to verify and run a quick test, let me know and I'll be happy to try it out for you.

Hmmmm...not sure.  Definitely would need another ADC/recorder with a digi-out.  Eh, don't sweat it - if the project menu lists S/PDIF as a potential clock source, that's pretty encouraging.  I think I'll end up with a V3 > MT and TCM HD-P2, anyway, and will just use the WC out on the V3.  But the thought of two HD-P2s - one ACM, one TCM - is quite tempting.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 06:01:13 PM »
Brian,

the HD-P2 is my only recorder.  I'm not sure how I would do a test to see if it really sync's up to a S/PDIF data stream without a second recorder to verify that there is no drift between two sources.

that said, in the project menu on the HD-P2, there is a selection for input: analog / digital.  then, there is a seperate selection for clock source, either internal, word clock, or S/PDIF.  based on that, I'd say it's easy to select the analog inputs, but get the clock from an incoming S/PDIF data stream, and not use the internal clock on the HD-P2.

- Jason

If you have digital playback (your computer if you have spdif out) with spdif that should work.  playback analog > stereo & playback spdif > p2 and then just mic the stereo.  then take the original source and try to line them up and see if they match... or send it to Brian and make him do it ;D.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
If you have digital playback (your computer if you have spdif out) with spdif that should work.  playback analog > stereo & playback spdif > p2 and then just mic the stereo.  then take the original source and try to line them up and see if they match... or send it to Brian and make him do it ;D.

Matt

Exactly what I was thinking, Matt!  That should work for testing if he's set up for it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »

Matt

Exactly what I was thinking, Matt!  That should work for testing if he's set up for it.
yeah, that should work or even plug a mic (or a headphone for that matter) into the mic input on your computer and record with cdwav or another audio program.  Then  you can just record the mics.  I would say record for about 1 hr and use clicks about every 15 minutes.  Either snap or cling a spoon on a plate (muffled) and that will be easier to verify in post than music.  You can then check inside about 1 minute if they are clocked together.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline AlexG

• Taperssection Member
  • "I'll get that show to you tomorrow, I promise"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 05:34:37 PM »
Any HD-P2 owners out there willing / able to do a little test for me:  see if the HD-P2 wordclock input can derive a wordclock signal from a plain S/PDIF signal?
I use S/PDIF as a clock to sync my iRiver to my HD-P2 via the S/PDIF on the UA-5, works great.
Mics: Neumann km184, Avatone CK-1 *FOR SALE*
Pres: Grace Lunatec V3 OptiMod *FOR SALE*
Recs: Tascam HD-P2, iRiver H120 30gb, iRiver H120 4gb CF Modded *FOR SALE*

My recordings on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Manitunes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com