Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions: Peluso CEMC6 vs. AKG 414 XLS  (Read 4112 times)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Opinions: Peluso CEMC6 vs. AKG 414 XLS
« on: April 13, 2007, 12:02:14 PM »
I'm very happy with my Peluso CEMC6s. In fact, I don't think I'll ever change to mics without a subcard. Soon enough, I'd like to get the hyper caps too. And fig 8 if John gets around to making them.

But, with purchasing those extra caps, I'm getting pretty close to the price (used) of the AKG 414 XLS. For the music I tape, being mostly folk, I think LDs sound great. These, of course, offer subcards as well, and are generally available. So, I'm weighing the pros/cons of each mic.

One thing I have to mention is that I'm frequently required to run my mics at seated head height. To accomplish this, I clamp to the arm rest and use my Bogen HD Flex Arm to place/snake the mics in front of me. If the 414s are too heavy for this (keep in mind that the flex arm is, well, flexed, and not straight vertically), then there are absolutely out.

What are your opinions on the switch? Has anyone had both?

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Opinions: Peluso CEMC6 vs. AKG 414 XLS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:42:27 PM »
If the 414s are too heavy for this (keep in mind that the flex arm is, well, flexed, and not straight vertically), then there are absolutely out.

They are no lightweights.  With shockmounts, most likely to much for a flexarm.  Maybe not for a single mic on one, and another on a seperate flexarm.  Alot bigger footprint with the ld's.  Nice to have both, sd and ld, and use for appropriate situations though not always feasible. 

May want to see if you can do a swapout for a few weeks with some body or borrow a pair to run in the field for a bit to see if it is going to be your cup of tea or not.   

Good luck with your decision  :)

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:46:37 PM »
If the 414s are too heavy for this (keep in mind that the flex arm is, well, flexed, and not straight vertically), then there are absolutely out.

They are no lightweights. 

but they are no heavyweights either.

I don't think it would be a problem holding them.

Maybe Dan or Chris or Skalinder can speak up on this as well.......we have all had them at one time. (Chris still does)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:57:58 PM »
Have you considered picking up an LSD2?  It's a great LD option with a smaller footprint than the 414's and would allow you to run blumlein & M/S at a decent price.  Additionally, you could still keep the Peluso's and run 4 mic mixes for probably the same price as the 414's?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »
I've had both and prefer the 414's.. I love the LD sound.

On the Bogen HD Flex Arm, I've never used it but the 414's are not that heavy (heavier than the pelusos of course). I think they're rather small for an LD compared to TL & 89's. I'm sure there are other options than a Bogen HD Flex Arm for what you want to do if you planning on running 414's. TSers are very creative..
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »
Have you considered picking up an LSD2?  It's a great LD option with a smaller footprint than the 414's and would allow you to run blumlein & M/S at a decent price.  Additionally, you could still keep the Peluso's and run 4 mic mixes for probably the same price as the 414's?

I have, but I'm definitely not going to keep both sets of mics. Phase problems scare me. Plus, I don't think I could get away with having 2 sets of mics in the house.

On the Bogen HD Flex Arm, I've never used it but the 414's are not that heavy (heavier than the pelusos of course). I think they're rather small for an LD compared to TL & 89's. I'm sure there are other options than a Bogen HD Flex Arm for what you want to do if you planning on running 414's. TSers are very creative..

You're probably right. That was my initial creative idea so I didn't have to run a stand at that venue.

FWIW, here is a picture Brian PMd me of the 414s on the flex arm. Looks like it will work to me!

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »

I have, but I'm definitely not going to keep both sets of mics. Phase problems scare me. Plus, I don't think I could get away with having 2 sets of mics in the house.

You're probably right. That was my initial creative idea so I didn't have to run a stand at that venue.

FWIW, here is a picture Brian PMd me of the 414s on the flex arm. Looks like it will work to me!

Dam... that arm is pretty bad arse... Might be good to have for split omni's on one stand.. Whats the length of the arm?

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 04:06:42 PM »

Dam... that arm is pretty bad arse... Might be good to have for split omni's on one stand.. Whats the length of the arm?

21.1", according to B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=74314&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »

<pic snipped >

FWIW, took that pic after ~30min - no sagging to speak of.  It's actually remained up all weekend while I'm away, and I'll check it when I get back.  This is one beefy flex arm, I don't expect to have sagged in the least.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »

<pic snipped >

FWIW, took that pic after ~30min - no sagging to speak of.  It's actually remained up all weekend while I'm away, and I'll check it when I get back.  This is one beefy flex arm, I don't expect to have sagged in the least.

ya man... i may need to grab 1 or 2 of them..

Offline MarkE

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »
      Ive had my 414'as for a while now and love em, but I wanted a set of SD's and picked up some pelusos recently. I like the 414s better in outdoor situations, obviously the switchable polar patters are nice, but in a couple side by side comparisons I recently did, I liked the Pelusos over the 414's in a same club, cardiod patterns on both for one show and ran the 414s Blumlein on the other, and both times the Pelusos sounded richer, and the 414s actually were a little heavy on the mid, and not so much on the low end side.. Im gonna try and tape Mofro next week with both ris again and see what happens..

Last week I ran just the Pelusos, but through the UA-5 (as opposed to the PS2>Zef inbox) at a club I like to think is "Sonically challenged" and was real surprised how nice these are. I think the Pelusos are an awesome bang for your buck .I dont think theres anything under a grand on the market that sounds better.. The add up with all the capsules, but I will admit I missed the SDs and am glad to have a set again..
    God I hope my Akg's dont read this, Ive constanly called them "my babies" for a while now...

Mark E
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »

<pic snipped >

I think I can take 'em down, now.  Not a hint of sagging over 3 days.  Mmmmm...beefy...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com