Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Books on recording concerts?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline goldenbreast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Books on recording concerts?
« on: May 06, 2007, 08:55:23 AM »
are there any good books on recording gigs?. i see that there are some very good guides here but was wondering if any books exist?

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: Books on recording concerts?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 09:55:50 AM »
http://www.stereosoundbook.com/

Not concerts per se but a lot of good info about recording in stereo.

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 11:34:18 AM »
Go here http://www.homerecording.com/recording.html and scroll to the bottom of the page for a few book references. The site itself has a good supply of info on recording in general.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »
are there any good books on recording gigs?. i see that there are some very good guides here but was wondering if any books exist?
[/quote
There are not a lot of books out there for live recording as a matter of fact I have never seen on. But there are some good books I listed down below the last book I mentioned has everything in it you will ever need to know about audio and then some.. :) Its very hard to find its been out of print for a long time but its a great book, I would also get a subscription to home recording. Its a pretty good magazine for people that are doing stuff at home but some of it still applies to live recording as well. Good luck check these books out.

This is one book I recommend to any one interested in audio Sound reinforcement handbook

]http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis-Live-sound-book_W0QQitemZ330116563941QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2228QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#stockphoto

This is the bible of audio
Handbook for Sound Engineers: The New Audio Cyclopedia edited by Glen Ballou

http://www.wkonline.com/a/Handbook_for_Sound_Engineers_The_New_Audio_Cyclopedia_0240803310.htm
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »
they look very interesting...

im also thinking i might try and build some mics and a battery box using greenmachine's guide. it seems you can pick up the components for peanuts. one of the mic capsules that he recommends are the panasonic wm-61's - you can get 5 for £10 on ebay. what sort of recordings could i expect to get using those capsules?. all the components for the mic wouldnt cost much at all. as things go, im thinking i may experiment with those first and then once i feel comfortable i'll purchase your setup chris. i'll see how things go...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 04:31:20 PM by goldenbreast »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:43:23 AM »

im also thinking i might try and build some mics and a battery box using greenmachine's guide. it seems you can pick up the components for peanuts. one of the mic capsules that he recommends are the panasonic wm-61's - you can get 5 for £10 on ebay. what sort of recordings could i expect to get using those capsules?. all the components for the mic wouldnt cost much at all. as things go, im thinking i may experiment with those first and then once i feel comfortable i'll purchase your setup chris. i'll see how things go...

A very good recording you should practice your soldering skills first though they can be hard to solder. But you can get great results from the wm-61 there are a few mods you can do to them as well I have my own mod the 4.7k mod and there is the very famous linkwitz mod. Both provide good results. And making a battery box is very simple. If you need any help let me know.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline goldenbreast

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:36:54 PM »

A very good recording you should practice your soldering skills first though they can be hard to solder. But you can get great results from the wm-61 there are a few mods you can do to them as well I have my own mod the 4.7k mod and there is the very famous linkwitz mod. Both provide good results. And making a battery box is very simple. If you need any help let me know.

Chris

as a matter of fact, i could do with a bit of guidance (if time allows)...i went into my local maplin shop (electrical shop) to buy the components to build the mic/battery box but was completely overwhelmed by all the odds and ends in that shop!. i ended up walking out with nothing as i had no idea what to look for (even though i printed out greenmachine's guide  :-[).

i have searched for components on the http://www.maplin.co.uk site and found a few of them that i think are needed. thing is, there appears to be more of one of the same thing which is confusing me. for example i search for 2.2uF capacitors and it comes up with loads!.

could anyone, with a bit of time, be willing to post the links to the components on the maplin site that are needed please? - im sure you are all aware of the 'how to build a mic/battery box' thread at forums.minidisc.org which lists the components...just in case:

- 2 miniature electret microphone capsules (get the best ones you can find - your selection will have a major influence on the sound quality - recommendation: Panasonic WM-61, Monacor MCE-2000/4000)
- 3.5 mm stereo connector with cable, preferably angled and shielded
- a few inches of heat shrinkable tubing, slightly larger diameter than the capsules

a small piece of circuit board,
two 2.2uF capacitors,
two 10kOhm resistors,preferrably 1% metal film,
one 1/8" / 3.5mm stereo jack,
one cable with a 1/8" / 3.5mm stereo connector

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com