Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM H4  (Read 2709 times)

Offline U87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ZOOM H4
« on: May 13, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »
It took a couple of shots, but I've managed the master the Zoom H4 and I'm pleased with the results.
I can post a torrent if anyone is interested (Derek Trucks Band 5-10-07).
Any experiences to share from other H4 users?
-U87

Offline Timmy Mac

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: ZOOM H4
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
I spent ages choosing my recorder, reading review after a review and bought an H4 - I do like the Zoom and find the internal microphone very good but difficult if you are outside as even with the windshield you get noise as its so sensitive

In stereo mode with external microphone it will only record on one channel as it has two microphone outputs (or is it me?) I then have to put it into Cool edit to turn into a stereo recording.

If money was no option I guess a Nagra ARES M II which the BBC guys use

Offline DeltaBluesMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:48:31 PM »
Hey I just got mine this past week and my very first recording was EXCELLENT! I only wish I could get this thing mastered myself. I got 3 toes and 2 thumbs on both hands when it comes to tech stuff. My first nite out I tried to record 7 songs of my Sons Blues Band, but for some reason only 3 of them recorded. but those three were great sounding. Check out the thread Old Dog learning new tricks.

Offline person

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:17:42 AM »
How do you guys position yours when standing in a crowd? It's hard to get the mics pointing towards the band... it's way easier to put it in a shirt pocket, but then they're pointing at the roof  :( I was thinking of trying to modify a mobile phone holster and attach it to the shoulder strap of a bag.

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:49:49 PM »
How do you guys position yours when standing in a crowd? It's hard to get the mics pointing towards the band...

This is where the external mics come in. For open taping, use a stand or go handheld (the H4 has a standard camera tripod mount hole).
For stealth, there's really no alternative to external mics, the H4 is to large to hide unless you have a huge Kangol and a rubber strap around your head. I can recommend the AT853Rx, great stealthing mics!

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com