Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 + external mic w/o preamp? Is this possible?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline toben

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm a taping newbie (and an electronics newbie). I've recently ordered an R-09 and a mic (specifically, the SP-TFB-2) and I thought I'd ask some questions before making my first field trip.

1. How important are windscreens for an in-door venue? (Does moving around generate "wind" that would need to be screened? FYI, I didn't buy one!) Do you keep them on even in "low wind" environments?

2. Is it necessary to have a batterybox or preamp for Line In? Mic In? Are they the same thing?

3. I'm planning to tape some acoustic and rock shows in a medium sized venue (200 persons). Could you recommend some R-09/taping settings if all I'm bringing in is my recorder, my mic, spare AAs, and a 4GB memory card?

Thank you very much,
tob

P.S. I'm hoping to train up to a pretty good level by next month for Aereogramme's final concert in Glasgow!

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Edirol R-09 + external mic w/o preamp? Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a taping newbie (and an electronics newbie). I've recently ordered an R-09 and a mic (specifically, the SP-TFB-2) and I thought I'd ask some questions before making my first field trip.

1. How important are windscreens for an in-door venue? (Does moving around generate "wind" that would need to be screened? FYI, I didn't buy one!) Do you keep them on even in "low wind" environments?

2. Is it necessary to have a batterybox or preamp for Line In? Mic In? Are they the same thing?

3. I'm planning to tape some acoustic and rock shows in a medium sized venue (200 persons). Could you recommend some R-09/taping settings if all I'm bringing in is my recorder, my mic, spare AAs, and a 4GB memory card?

Thank you very much,
tob

P.S. I'm hoping to train up to a pretty good level by next month for Aereogramme's final concert in Glasgow!

Mic in, low sensitivity works great for most (condenser) mics.
Usually mics + battery box is enough.  I've run everything ranging from, AT853, AT822, AKG CK91 (homebrew actives), Sennheiser MKE2, etc.  All work great.

The only problem is for quiet shows and/or low output levels on the mics.  For those you should have an external preamp.

Enjoy..

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline nxb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about windscreens if you are going to tape indoors.
The only problem I've had was taping at the liquid rooms in Edinburgh which has a low ceiling and a powerful AC system.
If you get under the downdraught then you keep nice and cool during the show but the mics will pick up noise form the AC as I found out when I taped Mogwai there a couple of weeks ago .....

Offline eyekanspehl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:00:09 AM »
I have some preamp vs. battery box related questions as well, and I hope it's OK for me to tag onto this. I'm planning on ordering a Edirol R-09, and I'm curious as to what the advantage of having a preamp over a battery box is. If I were to go with a battery box, is there any advantage to getting a battery box with bass roll off and/or level controls (like this: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSB-1) over a basic battery box (like this one: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-6). I'm a total newbie, so any help would be appreciated.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:08:44 AM »
I have some preamp vs. battery box related questions as well, and I hope it's OK for me to tag onto this. I'm planning on ordering a Edirol R-09, and I'm curious as to what the advantage of having a preamp over a battery box is. If I were to go with a battery box, is there any advantage to getting a battery box with bass roll off and/or level controls (like this: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSB-1) over a basic battery box (like this one: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-6). I'm a total newbie, so any help would be appreciated.

If you do not intend to record quiet, very,very quiet  music, you don't need a preamp.
If you're planning to use omni mics, please do use a bb with bass roll-off.
With the R-09, you don't need a bb with level controls.Set the levels with the R-09 input level control.
Hope that helps.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
windscreens are a nice investment even for indoor shows.  Though they certain may not be mandatory for indoor taping, they're a great thing to use regardless and a great thing to have on hand.  If nothing else, windscreens will help protect your mic's from smoke which may be more likely to bother your mics at an indoor venue.

Aside from that, I think everything else has been said, so best of luck, and go buy windscreens!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »
I am planning mainly to record acoustic steel string guitar, probably finger picked, at close range. At the moment, I don't have an external mike. When I buy one, would a battery box be sufficient?

Thank you.

If you do not intend to record quiet, very,very quiet  music, you don't need a preamp.
If you're planning to use omni mics, please do use a bb with bass roll-off.
With the R-09, you don't need a bb with level controls.Set the levels with the R-09 input level control.
Hope that helps.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com