Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 or Zoom H4 Which is best for first rig?  (Read 8472 times)

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09 or Zoom H4 Which is best for first rig?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 04:28:32 PM »
Looks Like the general consensus is the R-09. So the R-09 it is. Next question is best place to purchase it? On ebay they go for around 325.00 plus shipping. Any feedback on where to get it?
Bill

Got mine at http://www.bpmmusic.com/ as listed in the R-09 FAQ.  Great price, excellent service.

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 03:45:05 PM »
If you are taping open, save an extra $100 for a Marantz PMD-660.  Rock solid 16/48 unit. 

If you ahve to choose between the R09 and the H4, go with the R09...

Terry

For the cost and size of the PMD-660, I'd actually try the Fostex FR2LE instead, it's supposed to sound killer and can do 24/96.

The H4 would be a good choice if you are a musician/guitar player, since the unit
doubles as a computer usb interface. Otherwise and for stealth, I agree R09 is your best bet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:51:36 PM by mandoman »

Offline Frosty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 11:22:40 AM »
Ok, lots of replies already with different opinions.  Adding my opinion to the mix, FWIW, I am not a stealth taper - I'm an acoustic musician who does a lot of field recording.  I have the R-09, H-4, Microtrac and a few minidisc units.  Actually, I sold the Microtrac. 

For portable digital recording fidelity, to my ears the recordings made with the H-4 (with external battery pack) sound the best.    The R-09 recordings have noticeable hiss regardless of settings in my experience, and the omnidirectional mics pick up too much festival background noise.  So, I keep the R-09 in my fiddle case for something that's always handy.

Geez, now that I think of it... where are those old minidisc recorders... haven't seen them around the house in a while...   ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com