Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 or Zoom H4 Which is best for first rig?  (Read 8471 times)

Offline DeltaBluesMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R-09 or Zoom H4 Which is best for first rig?
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:29:09 AM »
Edirol R-09 or  Zoom H4  Which is best for first rig? Help me decide which recorder would be the best one for a beginner who is not tech savvy? and Why? Thanks..... Bill

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09 or Zoom H4 Which is best for first rig?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:40:15 AM »
Edirol R-09 or  Zoom H4  Which is best for first rig? Help me decide which recorder would be the best one for a beginner who is not tech savvy? and Why? Thanks..... Bill
If you dont want to own a toy get the R-09 :)

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bozac26

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:42:23 AM »
I have owned both and I would say hands down the Edirol R9 is the far superior unit. The H4 is noisy, menu screen is very small/not user friendly. The H4 is quite a bit larger, (not good for us stealthers).

Lastly the name really says it all . Roland ,quality thru -out the years! Samson....Zoom.. Crap and more Crap. Also I would be very leary about Zooms new bastard child the "H2".  The same people hyping it, also hyped the H4.

"If the apple  is rotten at the top, it will soon rotten at the bottom" -Old drunken  SOB holding a sign at entrance to I -5.
Audio: Busman Mod R4/Busman R44/R09/Korg D1600 multi/Alesis Masterlink 9600 "Jim Williams Mod'd(audio upgrades).
Mics: Oktava 319's Mike Joly PE mod'd/Avantone ck1'bs/ Adk
Video:Panny ag-hmc-150/ Canon Hv30 (2x)/Canon Hg20/Jag35pro Dof adaptor/Vegas pro 9.0e 64 bit/Sony PS3
PC: Intel i7 920/Win 7 64bit //2TB/Buffalo 1TB /LG Blu-ray recorder

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 05:57:21 AM »
With out calling Zoom's products crap, I have heard the results of the H4, and was quite suprised at the results from a low cost entry unit, and with the built in mics!  [/url] http://www.archive.org/details/hbrsb2007-04-22.flac16  This would have to be one concern with the Edirol unit that folks here have been having: 
http://http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,71160.0.html

I believe that you are going to find pros and cons for each unit, and really it is a choice you are going to have to make based on your needs, etc.  I would have to agree with Church-Audio, if you don't want a toy......

Just my nickle......
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 09:41:17 AM »
The Zoom unit is on the cheap side in build as well as price.  Somehwat noisy preamps, and some high frequency roll off.  But check out the 12/1/06 Waybacks recording from the archive bookmarks set in my signature line, even though I've moved on to other gear I don't think it sounds all that bad.

Then again, of these two units, only one can use phantom powered mics or accept XLR inputs.  The other is limited to, dare I call them, toy mics with miniplug connectors that run off plug in power.  Them there's the issue of the minijack connector failing on several R9 units.

Which one is the toy again?  Both suffer from some compromises made necessary by their relatively low price points, only you can decide which is better suited to your uses.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 10:04:20 AM »
The Zoom unit is on the cheap side in build as well as price.  Somehwat noisy preamps, and some high frequency roll off.  But check out the 12/1/06 Waybacks recording from the archive bookmarks set in my signature line, even though I've moved on to other gear I don't think it sounds all that bad.

Then again, of these two units, only one can use phantom powered mics or accept XLR inputs.  The other is limited to, dare I call them, toy mics with miniplug connectors that run off plug in power.  Them there's the issue of the minijack connector failing on several R9 units.

Which one is the toy again?  Both suffer from some compromises made necessary by their relatively low price points, only you can decide which is better suited to your uses.

Actually its not high frequency roll off its the fact that the sample rate gets changed so when you play it back there can be issues with the high frequency once the sample rate gets synchronized with the playback device that is playing the file back its all good. I found the sample rate to be 95.6k instead of 96k I had to adjust the playback sample rate and I was off to the races. Its still a toy but there are no issues with high frequency roll off just a really bad sample rate controller ;D I guess there might as well be a high frequency roll off lol..

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 04:16:17 PM »
If a ham-fisted nincompoop like me can get nice recordings with an R09 then I'd go with that one.

;)
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 06:25:44 PM »
I'd go with the R-09 all the way ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline DeltaBluesMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 12:22:52 AM »
Looks Like the general consensus is the R-09. So the R-09 it is. Next question is best place to purchase it? On ebay they go for around 325.00 plus shipping. Any feedback on where to get it?
Bill

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 01:05:54 AM »
If you are taping open, save an extra $100 for a Marantz PMD-660.  Rock solid 16/48 unit. 

If you ahve to choose between the R09 and the H4, go with the R09...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 09:05:49 AM »
besides the question which unit is better..
in case you have or are planning to use external mics, consider that you can plug mics with a mini stereo plug directly into the R-09, and mics with XLRs directly into the H4.
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 09:38:44 PM »
besides the question which unit is better..
in case you have or are planning to use external mics, consider that you can plug mics with a mini stereo plug directly into the R-09, and mics with XLRs directly into the H4.
You can run SOME full size mics into the Zoom but the phantom supply is really a toy it can not power very many different types of microphones and generally the built in preamp is very noisy and not very good quality.

Chris

Offline Keyd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 12:43:49 AM »
I have both and used to own the microtrack also.

I wouldn't recommend any of them.   :(

As I am a 2" analog tape guy, I like how these recorders have warmer sounding recordings than the dat and minidisc recorders I've heard. This may also explain my opinions.   >:D

I have used all three of these recorders at the same time, many times. The zoom definitely has better sounding internal mics and this was in many different circumstances. Many people have agreed and some even think my on stage recordings with the zoom's internal mics of instrumental bands sound like soundboard recordings. Alot of people including myself think the internal mics on the zoom sound better than alot of the mics out there.   ;)

The edirol's internal mics aren't that bad but have a characteristic of sounding like the mics are recording in cheap thin plastic, which they are.   :o

I was skeptical as I wasn't a fan of zoom guitar effects but there was no question as to the better sounding recordings every time and unanimously, it was from the zoom.   :o  This is by far the best product I have ever used from zoom.

I haven't used mini mics yet but would recommend the edirol for it's size(small) and (from some recordings I have heard) if you are using mini jack microphones except for it's cheap thin plastic construction and overall cheap build. In fact it feels like an empty pack of cigarettes.   :o

I know some people at Leo's Pro Audio in the bay area and they have had a high percentage of the edirol r-09 units being returned. The highest percentage for returns was for the microtrack then the edirol. The zoom hasn't had any returns as it is built much sturdier.
I returned my microtrack as it finished far behind in my audio tests.

The edirol has mini inputs but they seem very cheap and I have seen alot of problems on this site with them also.   :(

The problems with the zoom are the levels are not too easy to adjust quickly and quietly  >:(, it is not totally stealth in size, and if you are using high end mics (which at least you can with the zoom) there are better recorders out there, just not as small as the zoom.

I have used neumann k-184's, u-87's, and akg 414 mics with the zoom and it sounded really great. :)  I was useing a preamp though. I was later told phantom power is true 48v on the new zoom units, unlike some other recorders. I should try it without an external preamp. The guys at Leo's said the new Zoom units are better than the original ones that came out. That said, I made sure they got me a good one from the newest batch at the time. I wouldn't buy a used one either.

I wouldn't recommend either recorder unless you need it now or have money burning a hole in your pocket because I heard that there are better low price recorders coming out soon. I'm very picky, but then again, I have heard good results with both recorders. I will possibly try the Korg MR-1 next.

But first I am going to venture into mini mic land for the first time. I have purchased mini mics and a preamp from churchaudio. I will try these with the edirol and the zoom first and let you guys know how it works out.

I hope this helped as I have done many, many head to head tests with these units and this site has been very helpful to me with the mini mics. I listened to your recommendations, and more importantly, to your recordings and decided to go with church.

I probably shouldn't say this as I will probably sell it, but I wouldn't buy the edirol used. It's body and input jacks are as fragile as an eggshell and I know how people are, especially with in/out jacks. It makes me cringe when I see it. Along with the problems I have heard, I don't even breathe wrong on mine for fear it will shatter into a million pieces.  :o

dorrcoq

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 01:23:44 AM »
It's body and input jacks are as fragile as an eggshell and I know how people are, especially with in/out jacks. It makes me cringe when I see it. Along with the problems I have heard, I don't even breathe wrong on mine for fear it will shatter into a million pieces.  :o

The input jacks may be a little fragile, but the rest of this is bullshit.

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 03:47:15 AM »
Looks Like the general consensus is the R-09. So the R-09 it is. Next question is best place to purchase it?
Bill

www.cascademedia.net
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com