Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How should I deploy a compressor/limiter/gate in the studio?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org

So I volunteer at a public access TV station. Over the past 6 weeks I've sort of taken over all things sound related in the studio. It's been fun. Anyhow we do two types of live programs. One is a Tuesday Blues show and the others are talk shows.

So one of the studio members got someone to donate an alesis compressor/limiter/gate.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I should deploy it.

With bands we have limited channels on the snake so what I usually do is have the bands bring their PA head and send me a vocal submix while I mic all the rest of the instruments. I'm guessing I'd throw the compressor on the bands vocal submix. What can a compressor/limiter/gate actually do for me sound wise? Is this reasonable? Should I be considering throwing the unit on the stereo out from my mixer?

With the talk shows if there are just two mics I'd put each one on the compressor. I guess the hope here is to make the vocals sound "closer" and "louder" at least that's what the guy who arranged for the donation told me.

Anyone have a link to a good intro to what exactly a compressor buys you sound wise?

Thanks for any info.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: How should I deploy a compressor/limiter/gate in the studio?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:21:30 AM »
Anyone have a link to a good intro to what exactly a compressor buys you sound wise?

the basic answer is "dynamic range reduction". for broadcast, generally limiters are used to prevent any further rise in an input level resulting in a rise of the output level. the alesis unit you speak of really isn't what most would consider broadcast quality, but it certainly would get the job done in a pinch.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
Re: How should I deploy a compressor/limiter/gate in the studio?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »

the basic answer is "dynamic range reduction". for broadcast, generally limiters are used to prevent any further rise in an input level resulting in a rise of the output level. the alesis unit you speak of really isn't what most would consider broadcast quality, but it certainly would get the job done in a pinch.

Since I posted did some poking around. I actually think the noise gate is going to be the most useful. I think the compressor will help me when the someone in the band is talking between songs and arent' talking loud enough. Probably won't use the limiter as my taping experience has me well conditioned to avoid overs.

Wish I'd had the noise gate last night. Got an annoying ground loop hum from the bands PA. The lead guy was real anal about his settings so I let him set up his PA. Turns out after the show I go over and look at his PA and that fux0r had all his mic pre's cranked and the master out set to like 1-2 range...wtf...moron.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com