Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: General equipment carrying case recommendations?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
General equipment carrying case recommendations?
« on: July 15, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »
Hey all,

Can someone recommend a good equipment carrying case to take to festivals and such?  Ideally I'd like a three-compartment bag, one for my HD-P2, one for the mikes, cables, batteries, etc., and one for my laptop so I can readily transfer files from the HD-P2.  (No preamp since I'll be using the HD-P2's internals - thanks for the mod, Cascade!  :D)  Also, I'd need a transparent rain flap that will allow me to access both the top and front of the HD-P2.
    I have a Portabrace Quick Slick, but it's a lot less secure than I thought it would be - too much reliance on velcro.  I wouldn't feel safe carrying it around without a cord triple-tied around it.  At first I thought Sonic Sense's SoniCase would be a good solution, but their rain covering only allows access to the front.  Since a lot of the necessary controls on an HD-P2 are on top of the unit that's no good.
    Any ideas?  Thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: General equipment carrying case recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
I like my SoniCase, personally.  Limited access to the top of the P2 with the rain cover isn't a biggie for me, since the only controls I need to access once I start running reside on the front / top front of the unit.  I've also memorized the location of the top buttons / switches, so I don't even need to look at the P2 any more.

You might check out the Portabrace bag designed specifically for the P2, but don't believe it will give you the extra 2 compartments you desire.

FWIW, I personally wouldn't trust the SoniCase or any other "rain cover" in a truly rainy situation - I'd use a contractors bag and/or umbrella.  I view the SoniCase and similar plastic covers as a splash guard, and not much else. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:48:42 PM »
I have become a huge fan over the years of Lowepro bags.

I have a nova 3 for my digital SLR and I just picked up a Vertex 300AW to be my new taping bag. I wanted something that could carry all of my gear (TL's, V3, cables, mounts, windscreens, bats, everything along with my camera) along with a laptop if needed. This bag is sick....everything fits perfectly, it has water resistance zippers and a pull over rain jacket when needed. Fits a 17" laptop to boot and even has special easy access pockets specifically for flash cards (hello mircotrack!!) It has an 8 point harnerss with mid and lower back wrap arounds and is super padded. I love this because most bags kill my back after carrying them for a short period, end up triggering wicked tension headaches if I lug gear too far improperly and then spend 20 minutes stoopd over setting it up. Litterally knocked myself out of a few shows starting bad headaches in this manor. I can walk miles with 40 pounds of gear with this bag with no discomfort.

I also love the sonicase if you are using gear best designed for it, no bag is easier when it comes to being able to set your stuff up and not have to move it at all out of the bag. Portabrace makes some nice bags, but I find them to be a bit pricey.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:23:44 PM »
what about just leaving the laptop in the car? Doesn't the HDP2 have an internal memory? Are you going to be transferring files to laptop at the show? sorry for all the questions. I personally bought an Allen shooters bag b/c it was padded, had pockets, water bottle holder, and was sturdy. Actually, I reinforced the each wall by cutting panels out of a rubbermaid container and put them inside the padding. It works pretty well and you can customize the compartment how ever you want with the plastic panels. I spent $30 on the bag, $8 on the rubbermaid container, $5 on waterproofing spray.

Here is a link to the bag, I couldn't find it on Walmart's site, but here is a link to the same on on another site: http://www.opticsplanet.net/allen-deluxe-shooters-bag.html

Here is something that I have been considering so that I don't have to bring my laptop to a festival: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367686-REG/Wolverine_7060_60GB_FlashPac_7000_7_in_1.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com