Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CSB mic difference in outdoor/indoor venues?  (Read 5471 times)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
CSB mic difference in outdoor/indoor venues?
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:06:08 PM »
Hi there, first post but I need some advice. I have been running CSB<batt. box<Microtrack and my first three recordings I could have not been happier. Black Crowes/Robert Randolph @ Red Rocks 8-12-05 and TOOL @ Coors Amphitheater 8-30-05. Now mind you these are both outdoor venues. Then I recorded a bunch of shows that were indoors, some large venues-some smaller venues. But the recordings sound as if I'm in a phone booth. I usually record loud rock concerts in stealth mode.

Is it possible that the CSB's work much better in an outdoor venue as opposed to an indoor venue? I have a Chris Cornell recording done with Core Sound Stealthy Cardiods and the MT that sounds amazing and was recorded indoors. Should I have a set of mics for outdoors and another for indoors?

I will also like to upgrade my mics but I will post that in the Mic Forum, I kinda need help with that as well. But the homework I've been doing it sounds like Church-Audio's 9100 pre could be part of my new set-up.

Thanks for any help!
amaro
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: CSB mic difference in outdoor/indoor venues?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 12:11:19 AM »
Binaural Microphones are omni-directional, meaning they pick up sound equally from every direction.

Outdoors they'll naturally sound great, as there's no reflection of sound, and everything's open. Indoors on the other hand you'll get sound bouncing off the 3 walls beside and behind you, which can cause the "phone booth" effect you described. About the only way to remedy this and still use omni mics is to move closer to the sound source, either the PA or stage.

Cardiod mics are much more straight ahead directional, and don't pick up the surrounding sound like omnis.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:28:03 AM »
Nick's right.  I know a lot of guys who stealth CSBs and always stand a few feet from one of the speaker stacks.  They pull damn good tapes, but it's not as easy as a pair of stealthy cards near FOB/DFC, IMO.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 01:54:52 AM »
Hi there, first post but I need some advice. I have been running CSB<batt. box<Microtrack and my first three recordings I could have not been happier. Black Crowes/Robert Randolph @ Red Rocks 8-12-05 and TOOL @ Coors Amphitheater 8-30-05. Now mind you these are both outdoor venues. Then I recorded a bunch of shows that were indoors, some large venues-some smaller venues. But the recordings sound as if I'm in a phone booth. I usually record loud rock concerts in stealth mode.

Is it possible that the CSB's work much better in an outdoor venue as opposed to an indoor venue? I have a Chris Cornell recording done with Core Sound Stealthy Cardiods and the MT that sounds amazing and was recorded indoors. Should I have a set of mics for outdoors and another for indoors?

I will also like to upgrade my mics but I will post that in the Mic Forum, I kinda need help with that as well. But the homework I've been doing it sounds like Church-Audio's 9100 pre could be part of my new set-up.

Thanks for any help!
amaro

Omni mics are good when the room is good. The reason why you like them for outdoor shows is simple, in a outdoor show there are no acoustics... There is no room to make your recording sound like crap.. But one thing to remember omni mics need one of two things in order to function properly ( space or separation ) or a boundary between the two mics in a stereo pair so that you get the separation you need.

Omni mics tend to be harder to get to sound "right" through speakers.. But tend to sound amazing through headphones when using a stereo pair of omni mics. There are always exceptions to every rule but for me

If your in a venue where you can get close to the action use omni mics... If your in a venue where you are further back use cardioid mics that are "aimed" at the sound source.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 01:16:27 PM »
When I recorded the Crowes in '05 I was 5th row in front of the right stack. For TOOL in '05 I was 13th row right in front of the right stack. So I see what you are saying about getting in close. Some indoor shows I have recorded such as in the Fillmore-Denver (capacity 4500, or so) I've usually positioned myself to the right of the stage but up in the seating area. I'm usually about 25-30 feet in front of the right stacks. So because of the indoor venue that really makes a difference.

Wow, I should have come here back in 2003 when I first got my MD recorder and just on a whim bought the CSB. All this time taping shows that I have to adjust the volume or at least bring up because they sounded really distant. Clear sounding but really distant. So if I burned a show to CD, I would really have to turn up the volume to hear it.

Thank you very much for the info, at least now I can have a better understanding of what I need to upgrade to. And sorry for the dumb question but what is FOB/DFC? Dead Front Center?

Again thanks for the help.
amaro

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »
Have you got any samples at all??

I'm in the same situation in a small way... I just got myself some CSB and I have 3 shows coming up where I have front row 'balcony' seats. I was gonna use my CSB, but after your post I'm now unsure once again.

Thing is, I've heard some really great recordings from CSB mics where the taper has not been tight on the stacks. I guess its all down to the venue sound/acoustics.

Samples would be great if possible.  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 04:34:53 PM »
Sent you a couple of emails with samples in MP3 format, hope that helps. Not too much of difference except for volume. Did not mean to concern you, I'm just looking to upgrade and had questions about the whole binaural vs. cardioid thing.

amaro

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »
And sorry for the dumb question but what is FOB/DFC? Dead Front Center?

FOB: Front Of Board - in front of the mixing desk
DFC: Dead F*cking Center
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 09:21:58 PM »
And sorry for the dumb question but what is FOB/DFC? Dead Front Center?

FOB: Front Of Board - in front of the mixing desk
DFC: Dead F*cking Center

+t's for both of ya, I've wondered the same thing =)
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
Sent you a couple of emails with samples in MP3 format, hope that helps. Not too much of difference except for volume. Did not mean to concern you, I'm just looking to upgrade and had questions about the whole binaural vs. cardioid thing.

amaro

Thanks for the samples. Both sound very good, the indoor one just needs some low-end taking off and a volume boost for it to sound better and a tad brighter imo.

+t
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »
And sorry for the dumb question but what is FOB/DFC?

Front for board, dead fuckin' center.   8)

nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
A couple considerations when seeing sources noted as FOB, DFC, or both:

• best sound isn't always FOB and/or DFC
  • FOB isn't very descriptive (for example, in some venues the entire audience area is FOB...which doesn't help much)
  • I've seen some tapers claim DFC when they're no where near center

Some time ago, in my mind FOB (and to a lesser degree DFC) turned into less a descriptor of the actual recording location and more of a catch-phrase to ensure lots of people would download one's recording on eTree.  Not saying everyone's lying through their teeth about their location, simply that it's something to take with a grain of salt.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »
Yes sometimes it does need to be taken with a grain of salt.  In the interest of full disclosure I will often be more specific in noting my location, e.g. "10th row, 3 seats off center" or "15th row, 10' LOC" (10 feet left of center). These days it seems "FOB DFC" can mean anything.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 07:19:18 PM »
Because I never knew what FOB meant whenever traded any recordings of mine I would just say row 5 in front of the right stacks. Or in measurement of feet from the stage.

Thanks for the quick education concerning binaural vs. cardioid. It has really made a difference in selection of an upgrade for my mics.

Keep up the good work!

amaro

Offline j.mart

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 01:01:02 PM »
omni's + outdoors = goodness... many people think otherwise, for some reason. just get a bit closer than FOB to stage and you're good
semi-retired

rec:
AT943 (o, c) / DPA SMK4061
Wendt X2 / ST-9100
PCM-D50 / SD 744T

archive
last.fm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com