Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Starter 'open' mics - AKG C1000s Vs Studio Projects C-4 Vs Avantone CK-1  (Read 4493 times)

Offline gambra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Noise aficionado.
Ok, I've got my stealth rig down for the moment at least and am now looking to get a rig for more open taping environments. Then again, bar the odd open air large festival (which I'll use the C-Church > iRiver rig for ease of handling) the majority of my taping will be done in venues with max capacity of maybe a few thousand (no stadiums or amphitheatres). I've pretty much decided that I'll be laying down the cash for a MicroTrack (though will be using the iRiver until after I get the Mics and pre-amp) and some form of modded UA-5 (digimod at least).

I've narrowed down my choices to three options:
1 - AKG C1000s
2 - Studio Projects C-4
3 - Avantone CK-1

Now, people of tapers section, which one would you go for? I'm currently leaning towards the AKG C1000's unless I can be swayed by a good argument or sound samples to prove the contrary.
Rig: Edirol R-09

Offline rdflash

• Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
I have owned the AKG C1000s and the Studio Project C4's...

C4's blow the C1000s out of the water, not even close.

Cant give you a opinion on Avantone CK-1, but they are 300 now for a new pair and C4's are 200 used and can be found easily around here.

I have a stock UA-5 that I am selling if you are interested, comes w/ battery for power and members on here will digi-mod it for postage and karma :)
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
I'm in the process of putting together my first rig, and eyeing the CK-1s.  I've seen the AKG C1000s -- they're awfully bulky.  I've heard good tapes with the SP C4s, and good tapes (albeit not as many tapes) with the CK-1s.  The fact that the latter come with 3 caps is a big plus, IMO.
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline rdflash

I'm in the process of putting together my first rig, and eyeing the CK-1s.  I've seen the AKG C1000s -- they're awfully bulky.  I've heard good tapes with the SP C4s, and good tapes (albeit not as many tapes) with the CK-1s.  The fact that the latter come with 3 caps is a big plus, IMO.

yah, supposedly hypers are available for SP C4's, guy posted on here, from PMI Audio I believe, but he has not updated...

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
I was in the same position you are in my friend. I will pass on a little nugget of wisdom passed on to me...Compare the sounds of those different mics at here http://www.archive.org/details/audio Do a search for a particular mic and you'll get several results. Most show the gear used with the mics and you may find matches that resemble your existing gear. Worked for me anyways! Good Luck!!

amaro
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline rdflash

I was in the same position you are in my friend. I will pass on a little nugget of wisdom passed on to me...Compare the sounds of those different mics at here http://www.archive.org/details/audio Do a search for a particular mic and you'll get several results. Most show the gear used with the mics and you may find matches that resemble your existing gear. Worked for me anyways! Good Luck!!

amaro

what did you conclude for mic selection?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
IMO, none of those choices will out perform your stealth rig by a substantial amount.

I would save your money for some mics that cost more than $300....

I would put my stealth rig (similar to yours) up against any of those mics, esspecially the C1000.

Good luck with whatever choice you make, but take your time.  I have wasted so much cash jumping in head first, but then again, it is a great way to learn....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline gambra

• Taperssection Regular
  • Noise aficionado.
IMO, none of those choices will out perform your stealth rig by a substantial amount.

I would save your money for some mics that cost more than $300....

I would put my stealth rig (similar to yours) up against any of those mics, esspecially the C1000.

Good luck with whatever choice you make, but take your time.  I have wasted so much cash jumping in head first, but then again, it is a great way to learn....

Hmm.. I might just use my current rig in all circumstances if thats the case. If I were to get the UA-5 and the Microtrack, what mics would you suggest getting for open situations? I'd be willing to save up and wait a few months to get them if needs be,
Rig: Edirol R-09

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
I wouldn't get a microtrack.  They do record in 24bit, but I really don't see the point of 24bit unless you have a "reference" quality playback system. They also do not record more than 2GB at a time and the cost of CF cards is an issue.

The iRiver will work fantasticly with the UA5 running digi in. 

If you want something that will sound substantially better than your stealth rig, you might want to look at Josephson, Beyerdynamic, Peluso or MBHO.  Even more impressive are DPA, Schoeps, and AKG480's....

Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
I almost went with the Octava MK-012, but for the price of those I upped the ante and a couple others were suggested to me. Josephson C42's and Peluso's CEMC6. I really liked both but chose the Peluso's because of the interchangeable caps. But they both sounded really good with similar gear including the MT.

Cost of compact flash is no longer expensive...I record at 24/48 so that I can have a DVD-Audio in 24-bit and I can convert those files to 16-bit for CD versions. AT 24/48 and a 4GB card I'll get just under 4 hours of recording. Here's a deal for a 4GB card right now for $25... http://www.adorama.com/KGCF4GE.html?sid=11859370331619421

amaro

Upon further review, that deal on the compact flash cards ends today to qualify for rebate.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
IMO, the C4s sound the best out of that bunch. Listen on the archive and you'll find some good recordings of each.

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
I had the C-4s as my first set of mics. They are great! I really enjoyed them and the tapes they made.

I now own CK-1s. I like them even better than the C-4s. The CK-1s are fairly new on the market and in the tapers' world so you won't find a ton of recordings out there. But the ones that are out there do sound great. I especially enjoy having the Hyper caps in my arsenal. The hypers on the ck-1s are awesome. I have used them several times and have always been impressed.

Either way, if you go with the C-4s or CK-1s, you won't be disappointed.
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
SP C4's....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com