Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with a Mic  (Read 1724 times)

Offline bluemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help with a Mic
« on: August 19, 2007, 07:22:38 PM »
I found this Mic in my uncles old stuff, it is a Nakanichi CM700 with windscreen and 2 more capsules of some kind. Can anyone give me a heads up for it's use and value???? Thanks blluemax

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Help with a Mic
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:05:36 AM »
I found this Mic in my uncles old stuff, it is a Nakanichi CM700 with windscreen and 2 more capsules of some kind. Can anyone give me a heads up for it's use and value???? Thanks blluemax

They're quite old and rare (apparently)!

The Search button above is your friend..

See:

http://www.taperssection.com/index.php?board=1%3baction=display%3bthreadid=19401

(edit for butterfingers)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:13:42 AM by Humbug »
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline bluemax

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:37:15 PM »
Thanks I have lots of mics, but never heard of this one. I am trying to research it's perferred application, vocal, instrument, overheads, acoustic etc.... but they do seem to be pricey..... I wonder what the interchangable heads are about. Thanks again 

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:06:06 PM »
bluemax, the interchangeable "heads" (capsules, actually) fit onto one common body (amplifier, actually) and let you use any of three different directional patterns (in this case, omnidirectional, cardioid and "shotgun") at will, without having to buy three separate, complete microphones.

That's the whole idea of a "modular" microphone system; most major microphone manufacturers have systems like that. One manufacturer offers twenty different capsule types with different patterns and/or frequency response characteristics; others have from two to seven different capsule types. Some manufacturers have accessories that go between the capsule and amplifier, and allow for various configurations that offer practical advantages, such as "active cables" for stealth mike placement. This approach lets you buy whatever you need most at first, then add new capsules and accessories to widen your range of technical capabilities, without having to pay for the same amplifier components over and over.

Small-diaphragm condenser microphones with basically neutral/transparent sonic characteristics aren't limited to any one "preferred" application--they are suitable for nearly all applications. You may find that for certain applications you'll want to EQ the result, but that's OK; neutral/transparent microphones generally take EQ much better than microphones that already have strong, stubborn "opinions" hard-wired into their response characteristics.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:10:43 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline bluemax

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:03:37 PM »
Thanks that was very helpful, I guess I was not thinking about small condensers having interchangable pattern modules. Makes senses now. Looking for a battery now to try this thing out........Thanks again. Bluemax

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com