Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder / mics advice  (Read 1809 times)

Offline dorigatti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recorder / mics advice
« on: August 22, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

I need some advice. These is my recording needs:

- Finger picked acoustic guitar and vocal.
- Small acoustic groups (thus, no loud bands and normally no stealth).

I can get either the Edirol R-09 or the Sony MD RH1 here in Europe. I am leaning toward the Edirol because I think MD will be phased out and here the media is expensive (US$ 10 for a 1GB HiMD disk).

The advice I need is also regarding microphones. I don't want to carry a pre-amp so my ideal would be the recorder and a pair of small (button) stereo mics. I would prefer mics I can buy in Europe (I have no credit card and vendors here accept a simple bank transfer). So that means branded mics (Sennheiser, AKG and so on). Companies like Church Audio are not so easy for me to order from. Plus, I sent them three mails but still no reply. Any advice will be appreciated.

Carlo

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
Re: Recorder / mics advice
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:12:56 PM »
I know I'm going to get slammed for this, but don't rule out the Zoom H4 with (gasp) the built-in mics. I've used it for fingerpicked guitar and vocals with surprisingly good results. Plus you have more options with external mics if you decide to go that route.

You can spend more money if you want, of course, but at least test it out (if possible) and see if it will do the job.

Craig
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:25:12 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:16:04 PM »

This is where my interests are: recording acoustic guitar and small string bands.  In my search (and to indulge my gadget habit) I have owned the R-09, RH-1 and the H-4.  As well as a number of Sharp MDs and a Microtrac.   The H-4 is a neat, multiple use portable gadget.  Here is a snap-and-shoot recording I made with the internal mics on the H-4: http://dharmastrum.net/89GibsonJ100.html 

The R-09 is a great point-and-shoot recorder which fits nicely into an instrument case, but regarding internal mics, I found that I preferred the results from the H-4.  (Using external battery pack - there are some issues with "noise" using only internal batteries).

At the moment, I am quite enamored of the RH-1/M200.  I decided to give minidisc another try when I heard about improvements made by Sony on this model and the Sonicstage software. 

So, between your two options (R-09, RH-1), I would say if you want super convenience and pretty decent sound with internal mics, go for the R-09.  If you are willing to use external mics,  I would suggest the RH-1.  There may be technical reasons (quieter mic pre-amps, for example) but I just like the sound of the home recordings produced by the Hi-MD unit.  I have been using AT-822 and SP-TFB-2 microphones.

Offline dorigatti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 09:36:41 PM »
The H4 is a little too bulky for me and not yet widely available in Europe.

Mics: the AT-822 seems a little bulky too, compared to the small condensers I've seen advertised by Church Audio. Also a little over my budget, but I could manage it if it was the perfect solution for me. The SP-TFB are in ear, so it seems too fiddly and not an option. Any more ideas?

Offline dorigatti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:04:44 PM »
Frosty,

I listened to dharmastrum. Very sweet. Exactly the type of sound I want to record, plus vocal.

Why dharma (strum)? I do Indian bhajans, Bengali / Sanskrit texts, and original melodies transposed to guitar.

Nice J-100. I have a '97 J-45 Buddy Holly Model, custom shop. Really nice guitar. Had a J-200 but unfortunately had to sell it. I also have a nice Martin HD-28. I play them alternatively. The main difference is the neck profile is thicker on the Gibson, but both make very nice sound!

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »
Quote from: dorigatti
Why dharma (strum)?

A vibrating string is part of the Dharma.  Plus it's having a bit of fun with Jack Kerouac who's On The Road was published 50 years ago this year.

...the AT-822 seems a little bulky

Not stealthy, but it's a reliable, sturdy mic for field recording.  I've had one since my Sony Professional Walkman WMD6C days.  (Remember Dolby NR?, that unit had B and C!    ;))  But, yes, if you want stealthy there are many posts with opinions about small cardiod and omni mics from major vendors like Audio Technica and small shops like Chris Church and Sound Professionals

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com