Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Corrupted Edirol R-1 recording  (Read 1707 times)

Offline pgoelz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Corrupted Edirol R-1 recording
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:33:51 PM »
A friend who bought my Edirol R-1 just got a corrupted recording the other day.  When played back, it sounds like the playback is sped up several times and the speed sounds like it is changing wildly in a random manner.  So much so that it is unintelligable.  The playback is the same in the R-1 and in a PC.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My first guess is that something is wrong with the header and the playback is assuming variable bitrate when it is not.... or vice versa.  But if so I am not sure how to diagnose and fix it.  The recording is semi-irreplaceable so it would be nice if I could retrieve it. 

Possibly related..... the card was erased while the unit was plugged into a PC via USB.  The next record attempt produced a "no song" message (in record, not in stop or play).  Formatting the card in the unit restored normal operation.  Also possibly related..... some time after the reformat, the unit suddenly started to eat batteries.  Battery life is down to about 50% or less of what it should be.  One possibility is that she forgot to turn it off between uses (it could have gone to sleep and looked like it was off) but she is pretty careful.  I am about to measure the battery current with and without the card inserted and see if anything has changed.... I measured the current when I first bought it and as I recall it was around 350mA in record and a bit less in stop mode. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
Re: Corrupted Edirol R-1 recording
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »
My first guess is that something is wrong with the header and the playback is assuming variable bitrate when it is not.... or vice versa.  But if so I am not sure how to diagnose and fix it.  The recording is semi-irreplaceable so it would be nice if I could retrieve it. 

sooo... are we talking WAVE or MP3 here?

MP3 - can't help

WAVE - lot's of ways to check the header. I use shntool  (http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/) because it will display every last bit of info, but probably most audio editors will give some poop also. If the header turns out to be the problem, there's multiple ways to fix it... http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80888.0.html... or a utility i threw together http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72936.0.html
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Corrupted Edirol R-1 recording
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:00:38 PM »
Sorry.... should have specified..... the recording in question is a 192Kb/s MP3, 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.179 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com