Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question on going through airports  (Read 5189 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Question on going through airports
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 08:59:51 PM »
I fly overseas alot with my recording gear in carry on.  You don't have anything to worry about regarding hard drives, SD cards and that. 

Terry suggested mailing stuff.  I'd NEVER EVER do that if I had a choice.  First, if it has value, it's might get stolen and I've never made an insurance claim even if I had an item insured, but good luck if you do.  Europe is generally safe from felons, but it's notorious for light fingered thieves. 

Also, mailing overseas takes FOR----EEEEVER.  Third, if it has any size, it costs a minor mint.

One major consideration is to ALWAYS carry on your gear.  Never check it.  It will get ripped off.  Airports supposedly have security to prevent baggage from being ripped off, but it's happened to me twice in the last year.  Believe it or not, I was treated like the theif when I callled to let them know that my bag had a digital camera stolen...never recovered the cost because I didn't realize that the camera was gone until after 24 hours and the airline wouldn't honor a claim after 24 hours had passed...assholes.  They employ f***ing theives and I can't get my stuff replaced simply because I didn't realize that my bag had been hit until 2 days later.  The second time I had some meds lifted from my bag, so I didn't bother reporting that.  Seriously, they gave ME shit. 

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 03:03:31 PM »
I fly with my gear all the time.  They used to flag the bag for a secondary search, sometimes just swabbing, sometimes everything out, into the gray plastic bins and back through the machine.  The last several trips last month, they never even checked the bag.   Just went through on the belt with everything inside.  Maybe they are finally seeing enough tapers to recognize what gear looks like.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 10:34:52 PM »
I have flow 40-50 times with recording gear and never had a problem with X-Ray machines with DAT or hard disk recorders.

FWIW - I did on one occasion have a thumb drive possibly ruined by an X-Ray machine in Miami.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline greppson

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
I fly with my gear all the time.  They used to flag the bag for a secondary search, sometimes just swabbing, sometimes everything out, into the gray plastic bins and back through the machine.  The last several trips last month, they never even checked the bag.   Just went through on the belt with everything inside.  Maybe they are finally seeing enough tapers to recognize what gear looks like.

Same for me. I never even have to take it out. I keep everything in my bag except power cables which I put in my checked luggage. I do though make sure that everything is unplugged.
Jason
AKG 480 ck61/63 > nBob actives > Marantz ACM 671/Sound Devices MixPre 6 ii

Archive.org Shows
www.greppson.net

Offline jackmf

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 09:35:25 AM »
Flew last week and was told of a recent change that states all electronics over a certain size must go through just like  laptop. Even before this it was about 50/50 that my HDP2 would be pulled out and swabbed.

I wonder what would happen if you recorded at a 4th of July show and messed with fireworks and then handled your gear - would this cause it to be positive for explosives during the swabbing. That sounded funny, didn't it?
Busman Audio BSC1>Busman HD-P2 (for sale) or PMD661

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 10:20:25 AM »

yeah, i flew last weekend and they didn't even check my stuff once.  while i like not having to wait and have them rumage through my stuff, it's a bit disheartening considering what our gear must look like to them.
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.213 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com