Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question on going through airports  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Question on going through airports
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:29:51 PM »
i know not to let my tapes go through a metal detector, but what about the x-ray machine?  and is a memory card in danger?  hard drive?  ive never really flown with most of this stuff before.  i usually keep it simple.

thanks
jim

edit to add:  anything else im forgetting?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:31:48 PM by Mimna »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Question on going through airports
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:24:58 PM »
I have flown with my gear hundreds of times with no problems from the x-ray machines.  Just have your bag open from the get-go and be prepared to step aside and have it swabbed.  99% of the time that I fly with gear this is what happens, just get there a little earlier and you'll be fine.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:44:43 PM »
I have read here that it is wise to refer to "batteries" as "external power supplies."  "C" cells, "D" cells and 9 volts jobs cannot pass, but the weird stuff some of us use can.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:50:33 PM »
is there any real danger to a computer, sd/xd/cf cards, ipods ect in these machines?

+T for the help ;D 

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:54:45 PM »
I figure a typical SD microphone (like my Nak's) looks just about like a stick of dynamite on an X-ray, with lots of wires and batteries.... why would that raise suspician?  ;D

So I tell them when I put on on the belt "there are microphones and recording gear here... it's probably gonna look pretty wierd on the xray".  At the other end they sometimes stop and say "open this up"... not a big deal.

is there any real danger to a computer, sd/xd/cf cards, ipods ect in these machines?
Not that I know of.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 12:06:09 AM »
I figure a typical SD microphone (like my Nak's) looks just about like a stick of dynamite on an X-ray, with lots of wires and batteries.... why would that raise suspician?  ;D

So I tell them when I put on on the belt "there are microphones and recording gear here... it's probably gonna look pretty wierd on the xray".  At the other end they sometimes stop and say "open this up"... not a big deal.

Not that I know of.
thats what i needed to know.  thanks.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 12:29:08 AM »
My thoughts on flying with gear:

1)  Mail your questionables (batteries, etc...) to your destination.  Either to someone you meet here or to your hotel.  FedEx with tracking works great.  Call your hotel and tell them you are going to send them a pax for you to pick up upon check-in.

2)  Walk up with your bag open and everything easily accessible.  Just like a laptop, expect to be asked to pull your stuff out.  With that in mind, unhook cables, etc. and pack it away neatly in ziplocks.  This makes for easy inspection of everything.

3)  You have nothing to hide, be cool and cooperative.  The Security people are just trying to do their jobs.  Don't get bent, it'll only cause problems.  Make sure that they know you are totally cool and that you just have a tape recorder and mics, etc...  Kiss their ass if you have too, they can delay you or inconvenience you beyond belief...

YMMV,

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 12:44:57 AM »
I fly twice a week with 2 laptops, lacie ext hard drive, mics, interconnects, 722 and occasionally a sax and r09 with SD cards as carry ons. In fact, at least 1/2 of the people that fly these days are flying with their laptops. I've been flying with at least a laptop about 75-100 times per year since 1997. In that time, the only time I was forced to check a piece of gear which resulted in going back to the ticket agent and subsequently missing my flight was when TSA would not let me carry on an Oade ext battery back in 2000 at LaGuardia.

All my gear goes right thru the x-ray machine and I've never lost any data on a hard drive, SD or CF card. As of 2 weeks ago, they just started asking me to put the 722 in a separate bin as well as my CPAP machine but I haven't been delayed by any TSA people beyond having to take these out of my bags in addition to the laptops.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 12:58:49 AM »
good to know, thanks again.  ive flown with gear in the past but it was all dats and AA's.  now ive got a laptop, + A/V...

funny how life complicates itself.   im stoked to see seattle!! 

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 03:25:46 AM »
I've traveled with gear about 20 times.  I only had an issue once about a month after 9/11.  I was required to step aside and assemble the gear and power it up to prove it would run.  For the most part I could have just hooked the batteries to the pre and they would have been happy to see the lights come on, but I was so nervous I hooked up the mics too.  During the process of setting up I was told the Nak mic bodies through X-Ray looked sort of like pipe bombs and thats why I got flagged.  I've had no issues since.

Funny.... I've got more security flac from my Sonnic Care tooth brush than my taping gear.  Something about how the internal batteries look through xray.  :P
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 12:39:40 PM »

Do NOT say this.  The TSA agents don't care what is in your bag until they see it on the screen.  Saying that something "is going to look funny on the xray machine" is suspicious.  I know that you are trying to be courteous but they are going to find out what is in the bag soon enough.  There is no need to draw any more attention to your bag than necessary.

I'm really not trying to be rude, but this is just what I have found from flying with my bag literally thousands of times.  :)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 01:56:30 PM »
i take anything that has a battery out an put it in its own bin like george said.    computer goes in a bin by itself, m148 in a bin by itself and 722 by itself.   typically i never have a problem.   when i ran a lead acid to power the sbm/d100 it used to get swiped with the anti explosive pads every time.   

never had any problems though.    i stopped flying with a stand a long time ago (unless its a small fob one i just put in my checked suitcase).   has anyone tried to bring a stand onto a plane recently?    i figured we would get grief for that.
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
I always pack my gear such that I can put everything into individual bins.  Never had a problem.  Patrick flies a whole lot btw.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Wiggle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 07:22:15 PM »
i stopped flying with a stand a long time ago (unless its a small fob one i just put in my checked suitcase).   has anyone tried to bring a stand onto a plane recently?    i figured we would get grief for that.

I've flown from Canada to the US and back again with a stand on a number of occasions. I think United was the only airline that made me check it. They put it in a big plastic bag and I had to pick it up in a special section for oversized items when my plane landed. Other than that I've never had any problems.
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »
You're gonna love Seattle!! Was just there a few days ago. Have fun!! Oh, and don't stay anywhere near the SeaTac airport. I did and unless you're into hookers and pimps yelling at them all night, don't stay in that area. ;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com