Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mic in or line in Bad seats!  (Read 2042 times)

Offline bobcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
mic in or line in Bad seats!
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:26:42 PM »

OK im always open to suggestions...i know mic in has a crappier dynamic range on MD... i normally use line in..however this next show im going too im in the back corner of a big arena..and im up in the nose bleeds :( first row though at least! (bad for stealth,what have i done! ha)

anyways im thinking of using mic in... from that far away and up high that migth be the better option here. line in might end up sounding muddy as weck and just way too muffled and not worth capturing that dynamic range that i wont get from there anyway

any thoughts??? im good at using wavelabs..so i could always compress it,,, and tinker around turning line in from far away better then what its gonna sound like if i go that route...

anyway just curious... i think mic in is the way to go this time..but im not sure... being what i can do...etc etc...

just opinions ! thanks guys

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: mic in or line in Bad seats!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:03:47 PM »
On my MD, MZ-RH1, the difference between mic-in and line-in is that mic-in has a pre-amp in the circuit and line-in does not.  I use a battery box to be able to handle higher SPL's and usually do not use-mic-in as rock bands and blues bands rarely have needed to bump up in audio the pre-amp offers.  There is also the "low" and "hi" switch on the MD which allows a cutoff in SPL.  Additionally, the battery box I use offers a 20 dB cutoff and a bass filter (high pass) which cuts off at about 80Hz.  Try the levels when you record and see what works.  Just recording before the bands start can give you a rough idea.

Good luck and have fun.  That's what it is all about.  If you get a good recording you are all the richer.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:13:37 PM »
(NOTE: I've had to edit this quite a bit as originally posted reply was wrongly stated :o; sorry about that and any confusion it created)

Difference between LINE and MIC (best set in LOW sensitivity) inputs  is ~17 dB on most minidecks.  Than means you lose ~17 dB (quite a significant drop) with LINE verses higher gain MIC input modes. 

For this reason using LINE gives you a ton more headroom against clipping with high output mics recording moderate to extremely loud venues.

So if usually recording LINE input, consider where you are now setting the REC level adjustment (assuming you are in MANUAL adjust mode) and figure if at ~1/3 to the maximum adjustment setting with only slightly low to full scale VU readings, going to MIC input (LOW ONLY please) MIGHT NOT WORK OK for getting too much signal into the deck's mic ~17 db 1st gain stage.   

However, if using the LINE input with your usual mics/venue, and adjustment is needing to be set at top of full adjustment range and still having the VU indications only peaking at or below  -6 to -12 dB, then you might chance using the MIC input.

Of course going to mic input is a tact you hope doesn't clip the first stage (which gives no indication of clip distortion as the VU levels can be set to look OK at least if using a MD deck), but any excessive (usually the bass signals) will sound slightly distorted-to-awful when playing back later.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 03:40:48 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 06:33:27 PM »

phew! that was a lot to digest... well this is what i have done before.. i used mic in at a outdoor venue and i was pretty far away from the stacks,,i used MIC IN! and i always use the autmatic setting on my md..theres no need to use manual. the automatic takes care of the levels just fine with my battery box and ATS that i use..   

like u said,,mic in has a higher gain comapred to line in.. although the sound with line in is more 'pro' sounding it seems. i think anyway. when your close to the stacks line in is the best..i wasnt aware theres a preamp with mic in.. i just sorta knew of it a certain way but up to this point every thing ive recorded has turned out surprisngly well to be honest. no clipping or distortion.. that show i taped with mic in though is slightly on the verge of compression..just has that sound kinda..but its not distorted..its like it came really close but not enough to make it sound bad..just has this sorta compressed feel to it... id rather have line in but in that situation if i did it would of sounded more muddy and not as punchy..

so in short for this show im aiming at the best possible situation for the recording..MIC IN.. im sure it will turn out like that other show i talked about.. hard to say..its a challenge! ill use my intuition on this mixed in with the techy talk.. O o

Offline bobcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »

then again! if i use LINE IN and raise the recording level up to the top it might be really good

i did use manual once at a show....i had it at 30/30 that was with my old core sound cards though. .

maybe i will try that out..  its good to know all this for future refferance... but i have to realize too no matter what this recording probably wont be super great..im too far away and high up...but thats the magic mic in can make,,theres tricks to everything... !

in short screw all this though/hahaha get really good seats use line in on automatic and you will get the best damn show ever!  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com