Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Difference between DAT and R-09 / MT2496 / H4 etc ... ?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline ead666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Difference between DAT and R-09 / MT2496 / H4 etc ... ?
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »
Could someone explain me the main difference between old DAT recorders and all this new generation of recorders (R-09, MT 2496  etc...) ?

Is there a diffence of sound quality ?

Thanx for your lights

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Difference between DAT and R-09 / MT2496 / H4 etc ... ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 03:06:01 PM »
the main difference is tape vs "hard disc"
with the new recorders you also save a ton of time transferring since you don't need to play the show to do it

as for sound all recorders have a different sound, depending on your ears you may or may not really notice it
it also depends what other gear you may or may not use rather the recorders "sound" comes into play
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
as for sound all recorders have a different sound, depending on your ears you may or may not really notice it

Yeah. For example, I've seen some people here at the TS that retired their old DAT recorders and went to iRivers/NJB3s and were happy with the results.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Also the R-09, MT2496, and Zoom H4 are all 24-bit recorders which will typically increase sound quality due to wider dynamic range.  Most DAT is 16-bit (only the Tascam DA-45HR supports 24-bit on DAT to my knowledge).

Just note that some newer lower end 24-bit gear doesn't have a high quality front end and this can offset some of the increases gained by 24bit.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 08:39:28 PM »
DAT is tape and the tape will degrade over time.  :(  You could also have drop-outs on tape that you won't have with a flash recorder.

I have a R-09 and M1 DAT and the M1 is the backup now.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline ead666

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
DAT is tape and the tape will degrade over time.  :(  You could also have drop-outs on tape that you won't have with a flash recorder.

I have a R-09 and M1 DAT and the M1 is the backup now.

What kind of drop-outs you can have on DAT tapes ? I mean, these are numeric tapes and no analogic tapes, so i don't see what kind of quality loss could occur ?

btw, thanx for all your answers  ;D

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:39:33 PM »

What kind of drop-outs you can have on DAT tapes ? I mean, these are numeric tapes and no analogic tapes, so i don't see what kind of quality loss could occur ?

btw, thanx for all your answers  ;D

while its true that DAT is a digital medium, it's still magnetic tape.  with time, age, environmental conditions, etc, etc, the magnetic material can flake off.  that can produce drop-outs or digi-noise, depending on how much or how little the tape has degraded.  And it also depends a great deal on how robust of a playbkac deck is used, and how good the error correction is.  (i.e. playback on a Sony D8 or the like isn't going to be as good as on a nice home deck like the R500)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:04:23 PM »
What he said! ^^^^  :)
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »

Yeah. For example, I've seen some people here at the TS that retired their old DAT recorders and went to iRivers/NJB3s and were happy with the results.

I think you mean they have different sounds if you go through analog circuitry. From a digital perspective, bits are bits and will sound exactly the same on playback through a digital output.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline danzz1234

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »

I think you mean they have different sounds if you go through analog circuitry. From a digital perspective, bits are bits and will sound exactly the same on playback through a digital output.

Well, I meant that there's this "magical" thing about DAT's for some ppl and they may think that a $100 iRiver/NJB3 would not replace it in anyway.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »
No, I hear ya...I was more responding to willndmb. You just had the misfortune of appearing to agree with him. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 12:34:03 PM »
to chime in.

most of the new gen recorders write to some format of flash media (and not hard drives).  No moving parts.  unlimited potential (multiple chips)...and the whole no moving parts thing means no wear, no maintenance, no serious battery drains.

the only HDD recorders out there, in production right now are the SD 722/744 and the Edirol R4. 
There is also the Korg MR1000 and MR1 , which are both hdd based recorders (and DSD format).
there are others, but these are the main players that cost under $10k.

I dont know of many dedicated 16bit recorders out there these days, sans a few Marantz models, and as mentioned the 24bit world is much more "friendly" for live recording and can certainly yield superior results.

the bummer w/all the new recording gear out there is that none of the less expensive "pocket" style recorders have a digital input (should you require one).  the exception here is the M-Audio MT2496.  But the jury is still out on this 2nd revision of the product.

the good news is that the analog front ends (especially the line inputs) are very acceptable, and trump the circuitry of the older DAT decks.  Seldom are these little decks brickwalled or screwed up by hot signals that they cant take.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com