Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NEWB requesting advice/help for upcoming concert  (Read 5154 times)

Offline dimm0k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
NEWB requesting advice/help for upcoming concert
« on: October 04, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »
There's an upcoming Tegan & Sara concert coming up that my friend wanted to record and she sort of got me interested in this whole live recording thing... something I'm considering picking up as a hobby.  Searching the forums the reviews tend to steer away from using the iPod for recording, yet I'd like to give this a shot to give my iPod another use.  I have access to a MD players from two of my friends, but I'm not sure of the model until I speak with them later this week, so...

I'm looking for a stealth setup and it looks like I should possibly be aiming for a cardioid stereo mic.  I'll probably need a battery box so that I would have some versatility to use either the line out or mic in.  How do I know if I need a preamp?

Currently looking at Giant Squid Audio Lab cardioid powered stereo mic and the Church Audio st-9000 and cardioid package mentioned here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80054.0.html

Any suggestions on my planned setup?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 10:04:32 PM by dimm0k »

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: NEWB requesting advice/help for upcoming concert
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:47:38 AM »
DO NOT USE AN IPOD, they are very unstable and crash a lot, in fact i can't recall ever listening to a show succesfully recorded with one. the md's would be far more reliable.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 02:36:43 AM »
I have an MD-N1 and an MD MZ-RH1.  Both have built-in pre-amps.  The RH1 is better.  Having a battery box will allow you to record higher SPL's (volume) without distortion.  Do not get a mic which require phantom power.  You should be looking for an electret mic which will run on 3 to 9 or so volts.  Have fun.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:12:04 PM »
I have an MD-N1 and an MD MZ-RH1.  Both have built-in pre-amps.  The RH1 is better.  Having a battery box will allow you to record higher SPL's (volume) without distortion.  Do not get a mic which require phantom power.  You should be looking for an electret mic which will run on 3 to 9 or so volts.  Have fun.

How do I know whether the MD player my friend has has a built-in pre-amp?  What exactly does the pre-amp do for me versus a battery box?  I'm looking at the Church Audio stereo cardioid mic and was wondering if this particular mic would fit the bill?  I've e-mailed, but have not heard a response from him yet.

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 12:45:34 AM »
UPDATE: The model MD recorder I have is the MZ-R90.  Any thoughts on that?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 01:08:57 AM »
UPDATE: The model MD recorder I have is the MZ-R90.  Any thoughts on that?

http://www.minidisc.org/mzr90_review.html

Should work just fine...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
I like my Church Audio gear, lots!

That mini-disc, blanks, batteries, a cable to run between pre and MD, + the CA package = great starter kit.

One caveat, the Church gear is handmade to order.  Two weeks lead time minimum required.  Well worth the wait....

Joe

Offline carbine000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 11:43:16 PM »
Hey dont mean to jack your thread but I have alot of the same questions so thought this would be a good place to post.

I have a MZ-R700  http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R700.html

and the Sony ECM-DS70P  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECM-DS70P-Electret-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00006HOLL

So I have taped some shows and all have had various circumstances with various results. Nothing has come out perfect yet. I just learned that I can adjust the  volume of the mic input on the fly to get a better sound if there is too much distortion. But my question is: Do I need a preamp? It seems like if I can get the right mix of distance from the stack and mic volume that the show would come out decent. Then there is the bass input which I guess would alter that setup and I would have to adjust accordingly. Is there any advice you can offer to finding that perfect mix of distance from the stack/mic input/and bass level? Its been too hard to tell if the show is taping well until after the fact when I can say oh I should have done this or I should have done that.

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 11:44:39 PM »
I'm aware of the two week wait mentioned somewhere in the forum, but I'm a little worried because CA has not replied to messages I've sent a few days ago... this was through eBay and through his e-mail address that was posted on this forum.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 01:37:07 AM »
Hey dont mean to jack your thread but I have alot of the same questions so thought this would be a good place to post.

I have a MZ-R700  http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R700.html

and the Sony ECM-DS70P  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECM-DS70P-Electret-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00006HOLL

So I have taped some shows and all have had various circumstances with various results. Nothing has come out perfect yet. I just learned that I can adjust the  volume of the mic input on the fly to get a better sound if there is too much distortion. But my question is: Do I need a preamp? It seems like if I can get the right mix of distance from the stack and mic volume that the show would come out decent. Then there is the bass input which I guess would alter that setup and I would have to adjust accordingly. Is there any advice you can offer to finding that perfect mix of distance from the stack/mic input/and bass level? Its been too hard to tell if the show is taping well until after the fact when I can say oh I should have done this or I should have done that.

You have a lot of questions here.  Yes, a preamp will almost always help.  Better electronics will allow you to deal with louder (higher SPL) shows, without distortion.   In general, if you have a decent preamp, you should be able to adjust the volume so that you do not need to be right in front of the stacks.  This can overload a lot of systems, it may be in stereo, in which case you are only getting one channel, and a lot of times, the subwoofers are also right there, which may be part of the problem with the bass overload it sounds like you may be experiencing.  You can also get either another mic, or certain preamps with a bass rolloff/high pass filter which will allow you to control some of the exrtreme low end.  When you decide what you are going to do as far as a set up, try going to a show where you can move around, and record several songs from each location (hopefully keeping notes of where you were).  Then when you get home, listen and decide which location sounded the best.  In general, we tapers prefer dead center, and somewhat back, so that you are in the "sweet spot" where the PA and the stage sound intersect.  Good luck and +T for finding your way here.  Read a lot, but don't be afraid to ask questions.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 12:15:25 AM »
I'm currently looking at the preamps offered by Church Audio and was wondering if I would also need a battery box.  From what I've gathered a preamp is needed if I'm recording low level noises while a battery box is needed for the louder stuff like rock concerts.  Is this true?  How do I know what I need?

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 03:37:37 AM »
I'm currently looking at the preamps offered by Church Audio and was wondering if I would also need a battery box.  From what I've gathered a preamp is needed if I'm recording low level noises while a battery box is needed for the louder stuff like rock concerts.  Is this true?  How do I know what I need?

A preamp IS a box that provides plug-in power to your mics AND at some settings also boosts the signal.   A battery box ONLY provides plug-in power.  Either will help in loud situations equally, only the preamp helps in quiet..........

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 01:19:48 PM »
A preamp IS a box that provides plug-in power to your mics AND at some settings also boosts the signal.   A battery box ONLY provides plug-in power.  Either will help in loud situations equally, only the preamp helps in quiet..........

Thanks for clearing things up on the preamp/battery box, as this will help me make my decision.  Now if only Church-Audio would give me a response!

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »
Try him again, he has stated if no response it means he missed your message.  i would pm him here, you should be able now with more than 5 posts.

Good luck,
Joe

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 04:32:47 PM »
Try him again, he has stated if no response it means he missed your message.  i would pm him here, you should be able now with more than 5 posts.

Good luck,
Joe

Thank you.  I actually sent him a PM last night and hopefully he'll respond tonight.  Time's a runnin' out :(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com