Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preparing for upcoming show  (Read 5061 times)

Offline dimm0k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Preparing for upcoming show
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:16:20 PM »
An upcoming rock concert at Webster Hall in NY and I'm in the early stages of preparing for my first recording so I'd like for some suggestions on my setup/plans.  I have the Sony MZ-R90 minidisc which I have read would be wise to use the LINE option to connect the mics alongside a preamp.  The mics are on order from Church-Audio, a pair of STC-11 cardioid mics without the omni caps.  Also have a preamp from Church-Audio to power the mics and account for possible loud noises.  I'm about 5'6" so I'm thinking of placing the mics on my shoulders under my shirt for concealment.  I'll most likely be in the front row a little off center with a friend...

my concerns are:
is there any better place for placing the mics with stealth in mind?
because of my height and where I'm hoping to stand, would omni caps be better?
how do you guys handle recordings that are > 80mins when using minidiscs?
how do I figure out what to set on the preamp?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Preparing for upcoming show
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:12:40 PM »
I wouldn't stand that close. If there's an opener, try and gauge where the "sweet spot" is in the venue and stand there, DFC.  Set the pre-amp on about "11 O' Clock" which I think is unity on Chris' preamp and add gain as needed.

Omni vs Cards...my opinion is that if the venue has good acoustics, use omni's, but otherwise I'd opt for cards.  I have so many loud drunks near me at shows (I am some kind of magnet for these people...but only when taping!) that I use cardoids a lot.  If you do stand that close to the stage with cardoids, you'll pick up a lot of stage noise and a lot less of what is being mixed out into the hall.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:14:56 PM »
If you are using an MD to record LOUD concerts, use line in and a battery box.  The pre-amp will just raise your volume, which you do not want.  If the mics cannot feed enough volume at line-in, use mic-in on the low setting.  If that does not work, use the high setting.  If that does not work, try the pre-amp.

So, how can you ever do that at the concert?  You can't.  Put on some loud music at home and try it.  It will help you know ahead of time what the setting should be and give you practice in setting up.  I hope you enjoy what you are doing.  This is fun.  And with practice you can create some first class recordings.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
If you are using an MD to record LOUD concerts, use line in and a battery box.  The pre-amp will just raise your volume, which you do not want.  If the mics cannot feed enough volume at line-in, use mic-in on the low setting.  If that does not work, use the high setting.  If that does not work, try the pre-amp.

So, how can you ever do that at the concert?  You can't.  Put on some loud music at home and try it.  It will help you know ahead of time what the setting should be and give you practice in setting up.  I hope you enjoy what you are doing.  This is fun.  And with practice you can create some first class recordings.

Cheers

I respectfully disagree.

The pre will take the place of the BB. I think your best bet will be the cards. Use the pre. I dont know the specifics of webster hall, but IMHO you will get a better sound from using the pre then the 3V provided by the MD, (get full power to the mics with the pre) and if you can stand still/not move the mics too much, you will prolly be better off with the Cards then the Omni. If your going to move around/get bumped around the Omni caps are prolly a beter option. YMMV. 

As for the placement and whatnot, just ask someone through PM who stealths. Is there still a team stealth?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:40:34 PM by phan2001 »
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:53:35 PM »
For loud concerts, I would use Line-In.

I used the mic input once for a loud concert and it completely brickwalled. (The Dixie Dregs...damn fine band)
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 12:02:24 AM »
Collars very good..try not to actually cover the mics.as far as the 80 min disc..research the band you are taping ..look into recent setlists and times then youll know ahead of time where to flip discs. Use line in not mic in. Dont put your hands in front of the mics when recording (drinking) to avoid "phasing" . The most important thing.....make sure you piss prior to the start of the show.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 04:52:20 AM »
if you can get them around your ears that's even better.  i'd try to stand as close to a stack as possible.    front row center is generally pretty inconsistent sound wise.  a lot of times you'll get a very little vocals. 

change the disc during the encore break.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 05:36:32 AM »
If you put mics under clothing you will get a recording full of loud noises from the fabric rubbing the mics. Definately go line in, acg off low sens, manual level control. Beware it takes a long time to change discs as the MD must finalize the disc before you can eject it. Try and keep the recorder as still as possible while it does this. You might have to miss all/part of a song unless you can somehow rum another recorder as a backup.

Good luck!
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 10:02:44 AM »
Wow thanks for all the replies!  Some interesting suggestions that I probably would never have thought of and would probably have found out after many trials and errors.

nameloc01: since I will be going right after work I would still be in my dress shirt with the collared buttons so I was thinking of placing the mics under the dress shirt collar to provide stealth and then point the mics out.  Doing so would have the mics very close to my neck, but I don't plan on drinking while the show goes on...

firmdragon: what exactly is a stack?  is all of the front row pretty much inconsistent in general?

attheshow: how do I go about acg off low sens, manual level control?

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 03:11:11 PM »
attheshow: how do I go about acg off low sens, manual level control?

I'm not sure if yours is the same as mine, but this is how it works on my old MZ-R70:

In record-pause press the enter button.
A menu comes up. Use the menu scroll buttons to reach "RecVolume" click enter. Scroll to "ManualRec" click enter.
Hit enter again to bring up the menu. Scroll to "AVLS". Hit emter. Scroll to "AVLS Off" click enter.

Mine doesn't have mic sensitivity settings, but yours might. look around in the menu for "mic sens" if it's an option, set it to "low"

Good luck!
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »
Most definitely set those levels manually....do not trust the auto function. And make sure once you have those levels set and are recording to set the " hold" function/button (if u have one) you def dont want to accidentally bump the stop button when you are recording. You need to practice the entire process at home until u can do it quickly and flawlessly.    one more thing if your md does not haue an illuminated display..you are going to need a light source...use a cell phone.

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 05:34:33 PM »
The best place to record in Webster Hall is in the front of the balcony, center, standing at the back of, and slightly above, the soundboard booth.  This will give you a direct line to the stacks, unimpeded, and will avoid all the noise, jostling and confusion on the floor.

I recorded both recent Animal Collective concerts from this location, which are available for download here:
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=62
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=63
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline 3-Fan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »
Also remember when you hit stop or when you change disc, mine MD recorder defaults back to AVLS.  So you will need to go back though the process as attheshow said to switch it back to AVLS off.
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline boojum

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 02:09:45 AM »
Also remember when you hit stop or when you change disc, mine MD recorder defaults back to AVLS.  So you will need to go back though the process as attheshow said to switch it back to AVLS off.

Good reminder.  Only the RH1 retains its settings, I believe.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline dimm0k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 04:07:03 AM »
Thank you guys for the new tips!

danlynch: what exactly are stacks?  When you were at Webster Hall did you have to go stealth?  For clarification on the location you mentioned, it's on the balcony level, centered and behind the soundboard booth?  I remember there being a small platform where people used it as seating a little behind the soundboard booth.  Any idea how the sound would be if I were in the same location but on the ground floor rather than on the balcony?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com