Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth cardioid placement...  (Read 3434 times)

Offline melontracks

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
Stealth cardioid placement...
« on: October 19, 2007, 07:36:58 PM »
Just got Church's card/omni 9100 pre package today and am really excited about using these mics at the three SoCal Ween shows I'll be going to next month.

Couple questions:  I've always taped with CSB omni mics in the past and just clipped them to my hat brim on either side.  As long as I didn't move around a lot I always got nice recordings with very little phasing.  I know that placement is much more important with cards and was hoping to get something near an XY 90 degree setup for these shows.

Any tips on the best way to do that?

Also, I usually get as close to the stage as possible, or near a stack (to reduce crowd noise, and because that's where I like to be).  Would i be better off getting somewhere near the middle of the hall with cards?  all three venues are standing room only GA.

Thanks

Chris

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Stealth cardioid placement...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 07:43:36 PM »
Ween allows open taping. I would suggest running cards DIN from the official tapers section, unless the section sounds like poo in the venues you are going to.

A good example of that for me is the Fillmore in Denver. The section is pretty far back (behind the SBD), so I usually run OMNI's FOB on each side of a ball cap (mic caps come out of the hat directly above my ears. I try to angle them out slightly). If you get in the sweet spot with OMNI's you will be able to move your head slightly and reduce phasing. Cards need to stay steady. If you can get a stand FOB, then run the Cards.

Anyway, hopefully that helps. Thanks for taping Ween. I can't wait for them to come back to Colorado. The new album rules.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:57:34 PM »
Ween allows open taping. I would suggest running cards DIN from the official tapers section, unless the section sounds like poo in the venues you are going to.

I'll try that.  Your suggestion reinforces what I already believed; cards need to stay still.  Is this everyone's experience, or has someone found a setup that let's them get good results with card that aren't mounted to a completely stationary object?

Online ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:45:40 PM »
hey I used to always run my AT 853a's in a hat rig
1st a mesh basball cap, then more a english driving style cap
with them forward in the brim toward the front for you face not over thee ears
I would run cards up front Of the Board
in a hat rig
up and down does not seem to affect the sound but sevedre turn ing of the head will

unless you are really close omnis will  (imo) pick up too much crowd, unless the PA is huge sounding

I have pulled some great tapes that way

everyone has a different preference of what they think sounds good

try some test at home or at other free shows
and see what you think

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ninjadave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Timing and cash flow...
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »
i can concur, the cards in a hat (i use cloth beret style) velcro to the brim, angled out if possible, and i get very little phasing, but i also stand very still......shifting weight is about all the movement i do and if you do move, move slow.....its not as bad as it sounds. they are forgiving, esp if you are far back.... good luck.

ninja.
Mics = Milab VM-44 Links [c] ~ AT853 [c,o] 
Preamp/BB = Naiant IPA (v1) ~ CA-UGLY [+20db]
Recorders = Marantz PMD661 (Oade CM) ~ Sony PCM-A10
Playback = Sony MDR-7506 ~ Rokit 5's

http://ninjasroio.tripod.com/mainpage.html  [needs updated badly]

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 07:19:13 PM »
you'll enjoy yourself much more if you clamp onto my stand at the wiltern  ;D i'll be FOB in the sweet spot

if you can stand pretty still you won't have phasing issues but you will get noticeable phasing if you turn your head left/right or significantly up/down
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline melontracks

• Taperssection Regular
  • you are a delight!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 06:12:43 PM »
I'm going to be looking for you guys with the stands at the Wiltern!

Taped at HOB in San Diego last night and am REALLY pleased with the pull I got with the Chuch setup!  Chickened out and used the omni caps and boy, what an improvement over the core sound LCBs I've been using!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=510806

Got some noise from the pot on the preamp, but I'm going to find a fix for that.  only affected the first couple tracks.

Tonight I'm going to give the card caps a try at Ventura.  I hope there'll be someone else there taping, just in case I get a crappy recording.

Was anyone else taping the San Diego Ween show?   I didn't see anyone...

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 06:42:46 PM »
I'm going to be looking for you guys with the stands at the Wiltern!

Taped at HOB in San Diego last night and am REALLY pleased with the pull I got with the Chuch setup!  Chickened out and used the omni caps and boy, what an improvement over the core sound LCBs I've been using!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=510806

Got some noise from the pot on the preamp, but I'm going to find a fix for that.  only affected the first couple tracks.

Tonight I'm going to give the card caps a try at Ventura.  I hope there'll be someone else there taping, just in case I get a crappy recording.

Was anyone else taping the San Diego Ween show?   I didn't see anyone...

did you have any issues with security or were they even aware you were taping? curious cause HoB is a huge pain in the ass
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline austaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:47:13 AM »
I use the church cards with the croakies on sunglasses.  The best tapes I have pulled are closer to the pa because it is loud enough so there are not a lot of people talking!  You can use the 9100 to attenuate if needed.  Here is a sample from the last thing I did with the church cards straight into the Micro track with phantom power  http://www.dimeadozen.org/attachments/169892/2135789/bad%20sign.mp3  I was 2 to 8 feet from the pa for this recording. 

Of course nothing beats a stand for the freedom to be able to drink and use the restroom so how long the sets and or show are going to be can be a big factor.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com