Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT II problems  (Read 47895 times)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Re: MT II problems
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2008, 11:36:44 AM »
I've recently had a MTII related failure.   My walwart has stopped giving the MTII a full charge.  I've tested both the walwart vs. computer usb and have been able to replicate that the walwart will trick the MTII (and my McCally battery) into not charging.  Not good......

I would definitely inform M-Audio about this - and then see if they respond.

Why would M-Audios feel responsible for a malfunctioning aftermarket walwart (from wally world?), or is this THE original USB 'wall wart' that came with the  M-Audio deck?   

IF from M-Audio, check USB charger with a different cable just to be sure it's the wall wart, and not a defective cable you can replace in a pinch without waiting for warranty solutions.  However, I would think both are covered by manufacturers 1 year replacement warranty.

What IS NOT covered is using the M-Audio charger to charge A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BATTERY other than what's inside the MT2, and if the charger breaks trying to charge a different battery, I would not tell then how you were using it as this is abuse NOT COVERED in the replacement warranty.

This is THE original USB 'wall wart'.  The McCally battery is a external USB source that will provide power via USB to the Microtrack II.  Neither is being charged effectively via the walwart.  Oh, and a USB walwart should effectively pass USB signal/power to any USB powered item.  USB is a standard output, it is meant to be interchangable. 

"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2008, 03:44:55 AM »
I've recently had a MTII related failure.   My walwart has stopped giving the MTII a full charge.  I've tested both the walwart vs. computer usb and have been able to replicate that the walwart will trick the MTII (and my McCally battery) into not charging.  Not good......

I would definitely inform M-Audio about this - and then see if they respond.

Why would M-Audios feel responsible for a malfunctioning aftermarket walwart (from wally world?), or is this THE original USB 'wall wart' that came with the  M-Audio deck?   

IF from M-Audio, check USB charger with a different cable just to be sure it's the wall wart, and not a defective cable you can replace in a pinch without waiting for warranty solutions.  However, I would think both are covered by manufacturers 1 year replacement warranty.

What IS NOT covered is using the M-Audio charger to charge A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BATTERY other than what's inside the MT2, and if the charger breaks trying to charge a different battery, I would not tell then how you were using it as this is abuse NOT COVERED in the replacement warranty.

This is THE original USB 'wall wart'.  The McCally battery is a external USB source that will provide power via USB to the Microtrack II.  Neither is being charged effectively via the walwart.  Oh, and a USB walwart should effectively pass USB signal/power to any USB powered item.  USB is a standard output, it is meant to be interchangable. 

USB available power, as provided by the internals of a computer connection is standardized to be one of two power levels.  USB connected power from various external wall warts chargers are expected to supply ONLY standard 4.7-5.2 volt output, but available charger current is up to the requirements of the device it was meant to service which may or may not be within the amperage range of computer power standards.   

While I recall the MT1 was supposed to be chargeable from both computer and the supplied wall wart USB charger, computer USB power seemed limited to not supply complete charging of the MT1 battery, where the more powerful than 'standard-USB' wall wart had no problems providing a full MT1 battery charge.

If you use the M-Audio USB wall wart charger to charge a DIFFERENT BATTERY, it is possible a different surge characteristic of the McCally battery caused the M-audio charger to be stressed in some manner to break, and/or blow a permanent internal fuse to not work anymore.

Therefore, it is possible the McCally battery broke your charger.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:43 AM »
I've been using the MT wall wart to charge both my MTI and my Mcally battery with no issues. I've also charged the MTI through the PC and it charged the battery full, YMMV ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #183 on: May 05, 2008, 08:09:42 AM »
caused the M-audio charger to be stressed in some manner to break, and/or blow

M-audio product fail under stress?  Shocked!

M-audio product blow (figuratively and literally)?  Not so shocked.

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »

If I were running dpa4061 > dpa MMA6000 > MTII

Is the output of the dpa MMA6000 balanced or unbalanced?  I'd be connecting the stereo 3.5 mm Mini-jack from the dpa MMA6000 to two 1/4" cables > the MTII.

Would I get the "sprinkler" noise that you get when running 1/4" unbalanced into the MTII?  I'm sorry if this is a dumb question...

;)

So if I have the CA-ST11 mics terminated in a single 1/8" plug.....into the CA-9100 preamp (which only has a single gain control)....using the single 1/8" jack from the 9100 split into two 1/4" TRS plugs and into the MTII.

Here's where my newby-ness comes into play...By having a single gain control on the 9100, does that give me a balanced output to the dual-TRS input on the MTII? I'll also have the left/right gain on the MTII linked together and set about 3/4 of the way up. I'll be doing all the gain control from the CA-9100 preamp.

I guess the answer I'm looking for is...In my scenario above, does that give me a balanced output which would eliminate the "sprinkler" sounds that people are getting from unbalanced outputs to the TRS inputs of the MTII?

Thanks for any info!
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline huskerdu

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »

Is the output of the dpa MMA6000 balanced or unbalanced?  I'd be connecting the stereo 3.5 mm Mini-jack from the dpa MMA6000 to two 1/4" cables > the MTII.

Would I get the "sprinkler" noise that you get when running 1/4" unbalanced into the MTII?  I'm sorry if this is a dumb question...

;)

So if I have the CA-ST11 mics terminated in a single 1/8" plug.....into the CA-9100 preamp (which only has a single gain control)....using the single 1/8" jack from the 9100 split into two 1/4" TRS plugs and into the MTII.

Here's where my newby-ness comes into play...By having a single gain control on the 9100, does that give me a balanced output to the dual-TRS input on the MTII? I'll also have the left/right gain on the MTII linked together and set about 3/4 of the way up. I'll be doing all the gain control from the CA-9100 preamp.

I guess the answer I'm looking for is...In my scenario above, does that give me a balanced output which would eliminate the "sprinkler" sounds that people are getting from unbalanced outputs to the TRS inputs of the MTII?

Thanks for any info!

I think if you turn the gain of the MTII all the way down and just rely on the 9100 gain you'll be OK. That's the way I'm running mine tonight, so I'll let you know tomorrow...
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »

;)

Thanks for any info!

I think if you ou'll be OK. That's the way I'm running mine tonight, so I'll let you know tomorrow...

huskerdu,

Did you get the "sprinkler" sounds or were you able to eliminate that FLAW by turning the gain of the MTII all the way down and just relying on the 9100 gain?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline huskerdu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2008, 06:06:34 AM »
huskerdu,

Did you get the "sprinkler" sounds or were you able to eliminate that FLAW by turning the gain of the MTII all the way down and just relying on the 9100 gain?

I had no sprinkler sound with the MTII gain all the way down and making all adjustments with the 9100. If you can, try to set your 9100 gain at soundcheck because when the knob is turned it causes a noise itself: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94237.8.html
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2008, 08:13:34 PM »
huskerdu,

I had no sprinkler sound with the MTII gain all the way down and making all adjustments with the 9100. If you can, try to set your 9100 gain at soundcheck because when the knob is turned it causes a noise itself: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,94237.8.html

FYI Chris at ChurchAudio can fix that gain adjustment noise now...

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2008, 08:53:23 PM »
huskerdu,

Just to clarify, this was using the CA mics>9100 pre>1/8" to dual TRS inputs>MTII, correct? So gain on the MTII all the way down and adjust with the 9100 only, correct? Thanks, I appreciate your time confirming this for us.

Does this "sprinkler" sound appear if you go 9100>1/8" to 1/8" jack>MTII? Is there a big difference in using either method? I was under the impression that using the TRS inputs on the MTII would provide a better sounding recording? Anyone care to discuss?

Thanks and +T's.

Offline huskerdu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2008, 07:15:49 AM »
huskerdu,

FYI Chris at ChurchAudio can fix that gain adjustment noise now...

I just received my 9100 from him less than two weeks ago, so I'm wondering why he shipped it to me if he had a way to eliminate that noise... ???

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2008, 10:52:36 PM »
huskerdu,

Just to clarify, this was using the CA mics>9100 pre>1/8" to dual TRS inputs>MTII, correct? So gain on the MTII all the way down and adjust with the 9100 only, correct? Thanks, I appreciate your time confirming this for us.

Does this "sprinkler" sound appear if you go 9100>1/8" to 1/8" jack>MTII? Is there a big difference in using either method? I was under the impression that using the TRS inputs on the MTII would provide a better sounding recording? Anyone care to discuss?

Thanks and +T's.

The sprinkler sound only appears when using UNBALANCED 1/4" TRS Inputs

No "sprinkler noise" problem using the 1/8" to 1/8" jack > MTII or BALANCED 1/4" TRS Inputs.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:52:13 PM by dactylus »

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2008, 11:33:50 PM »
Okay, dumb questions here, how do you know if it is unbalanced or balanced?

Is there a better sound quality using the 1/4" TRS inputs versus the 1/8" input?

Thanks for entertaining my newbie questions. +T

EDIT: On the M-Audio site it states: "Professional balanced ¼” TRS inputs capable of mic or line-level signals." So does this mean the signal from the preamp, in my case the 9100, needs to be a balanced signal? One gain knob controlling both mics is NOT a balanced signal? Someone enlighten me please. I'll buy you a beer.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:10:03 PM by manitouman »

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2008, 12:13:16 PM »
bump... finally tried 1.0.6 firmware which looked to fix the SPDIF "Record Time Available" issue summarized in great detail in this thread:

From http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=904
"Record timeline fixed in s/pdif mode."

Unfortunately my test results were not changed... After updating, I hooked up my MiniMe running at 24/48 and an  8Gb card still reported ~3:54 remaining (should be more like 8 hours).  I tried running a digital signal prior to connecting the MT2 and also tried setting everything up after a connection was made, each to no avail.  I let the thing run anyway just in case, and it stopped recording at 3:54.

Looks like this "fix" is bunk according to my tests.

Offline endless_soul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #194 on: July 11, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
i read a few pages and i dont think this has been reported just yet.

i have been using the MTII about 10 times now, however in the last 2 weeks i had the same problem twice:

i started the recording, checked that the levels werent clipping, put it back in my pocket and enjoyed the gig.
just to give it a check up on the runnig time i took the mtII out of my pocket to find out both times that the recording wasnt actually going on.
when connecting to the computer both times i could see a file but it was resulting empty.

i was running the 1.0.4 beta version, the first time at 24/96 the second at 24/48.

any ideas?

You said that you had recorded 8 times before without a problem with this same device?

It is VERY EASY to accidentally hit the STOP / RECORD on the MTs when slipping it in and out of a tight pocket or when someone bumps into you when you have it in a pocket.  You should check periodically throughout the show to confim that you haven't turned the machine off inadvertently...

Hold button anyone?

obviously the hold button was on locked position...im not an idiot...

i have also another problem which also happend twice before and now once again...i was recording from a soundboard. checked every once in a while that all was going good...
the first band recording went fine.
the headliners files did not save however.
if i connect the mt2 to my pc, the file is there but it results as 0GB.
someone mentioned me to do something with the head of the wav file...can anyone explain please?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com