Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DOA mic?  (Read 4996 times)

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
DOA mic?
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
I just hooked up my brand new Peluso CEMc6 Mics, R mic works fine and love the sound, L mic just hums.

Is this a simple user error or DOA?

Trouble shooting done so far:
- Swapped cables, swapped inputs. R mic works fine with either cable or input. L Mic just hums regardless.

Any help is appreciated, of course the gear is new and tonight was going to be my first run. Sitting at home getting to know the gear and make sure it works......

Hoping it is me, not the gear, any help is gratefully appreciated.
Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DOA mic?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:17:11 PM »
I just hooked up my brand new Peluso CEMc6 Mics, R mic works fine and love the sound, L mic just hums.

Is this a simple user error or DOA?

Trouble shooting done so far:
- Swapped cables, swapped inputs. R mic works fine with either cable or input. L Mic just hums regardless.

Any help is appreciated, of course the gear is new and tonight was going to be my first run. Sitting at home getting to know the gear and make sure it works......

Hoping it is me, not the gear, any help is gratefully appreciated.
Tim

this is a new one to me..  a *new* doa mic? 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:20:07 PM »
not quite sure if i understand since there isnt a 'right' and 'left' mic.

if you are consistantly getting an issue with a 'right' or 'left' orientation, having swapped cables, look to the recorder.

however, if i misunderstood your post, and you in fact have swapped mics and the channel on the recorder does not follow the questionable mic, then it could be a mic issue.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 05:34:12 PM »
If you haven't seen my pm yet check the caps to see if its tight on the mic thats humming. Good luck tonight.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline notsofast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
Yes there is no L / R per say, was just using that to tell the difference between them. One has a green do, one has a red dot. The red dot works great. The green dot has the Hiss.

It is all new gear (FR2LE and Peluso's). I broke out the old Sony ECM-23's and they both work fine (relative and not a comment on the quality of the sound).

The green dot, does pick up the sound if on top of the source. It seems like the noise floor is exceedingly high, I have been trying different gains, etc. What would cause the change in sensitivity between the two?

RowJimmy, tried the cap tightening, have hyper cap and card cap, either cap same result, not positive.

If I have to send them back I am OK, was looking forward to capturing some butter to share but alas poor Flask, is a butterless man.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
Yea, it sounds like its in the body then if the cards and hypers resulted in the same. How about aking out the ole' Sony's for tonight? Retro would be cool and ya never know it might sound killer.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

easy jim

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
Yea, it sounds like its in the body then if the cards and hypers resulted in the same. How about aking out the ole' Sony's for tonight? Retro would be cool and ya never know it might sound killer.
Peace

Sounds like a manufacturer defect to me.  Something is off with that body.  Maybe the caps are not getting a good connection to the body?  When the caps are removed, does the contact area of both mic bodies look the same?

Why not run the Sony's for a night?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 06:26:40 PM by easyjim »

Offline notsofast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »
As a good friend said this evening, "Enjoy first most and tape secondary".

I am going with the ol' school Sony's tonight, it the holidays and feeling festive!

Best holiday wishes and thanks for all the help and advice.

Group +T!

Tim

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 06:42:33 PM »
sounds like a bunk mic.  bummer.
John will take care of you though.  he's a stand up dude.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »
There is some mentioning of this problem in team peluso.  There was a bad batch that slipped out, something with some bad parts on the boards (read the post for specifics, I'm recalling from memory).  John Peluso provided A+ service in getting this rectified.

Offline notsofast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
I will give John a call/email to find out what I need to do next. I have no doubt he will be supportive and looking forward to getting this squared shortly and will update everyone on my experience.

As for Plan B: Old School Sony's stood me well delivering a nice recording of the evening with Hot Buttered Rum and they did come to play. I love my FR2LE, the Sony's are not as open as the Peluso and have a flat sound stage but they did not give the boomy room sound I expected. They are Omni's and powered, I found they needed more gain than I would have thought.

My frist experience in over 20 years and I am grinning like a school girl before prom. Thanks again to all that help us newbies out with sound advice. I recorded the opening band Buxter-Hootin' and will send them a copy they were most gracious and did quite well.

Lessons Learned:
- Check your gear, check your gear, check your gear before you go.
- Have a Plan B
- Run the levels hotter on the FR2LE than I am used to. It has headroom!
- Get to know the sound man, he told me where the sweet spot was, next time I will try it with my new mic's.
- Enjoy the music and the scene.
- Celebrate the evening with your fellow tapers.

Thanks to all the folks coaching us and putting up with our endless questions,

Tim

Offline notsofast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »
Just wanted to give everyone an update and let everyone know what wonderful service John at Peluso is delivering on my DOA mic body.

I sent an email yesterday to inquire about what I needed to do to get my mic fixed. I then went to get a cup of coffee, got back to my desk and found a missed call from John and found an email response with a RTA. I quickly sent an email back to him thanking him and within moments my phone rang and it was John himself.

WOW! That is service and what a delight, I did learned how to tell the different caps, I do have the wide/subs and the hypers. I am sending him my mic today and will let everryoone know what happens next. Also, he said they will be making a production run of more wide/sub caps in ~6-8 weeks, until then he will build the wide/sub's on an order basis.

Again, I can not say enough about the personal service and how proud it made me on my choice to do business with John. Can I give him a +T? If you are on the fence about these mics, the service is amazing, taking a bad situation and making into a fine one is support unlike I have received in ages.

Tim

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
Again, I can not say enough about the personal service and how proud it made me on my choice to do business with John.

It is always gratifying to hear a story like that.  What passes for customer service these days is usually so impersonal, irritating, and slow...

Cheers to Peluso!

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »
Just wanted to give everyone an update and let everyone know what wonderful service John at Peluso is delivering on my DOA mic body.

I sent an email yesterday to inquire about what I needed to do to get my mic fixed. I then went to get a cup of coffee, got back to my desk and found a missed call from John and found an email response with a RTA. I quickly sent an email back to him thanking him and within moments my phone rang and it was John himself.

WOW! That is service and what a delight, I did learned how to tell the different caps, I do have the wide/subs and the hypers. I am sending him my mic today and will let everryoone know what happens next. Also, he said they will be making a production run of more wide/sub caps in ~6-8 weeks, until then he will build the wide/sub's on an order basis.

Again, I can not say enough about the personal service and how proud it made me on my choice to do business with John. Can I give him a +T? If you are on the fence about these mics, the service is amazing, taking a bad situation and making into a fine one is support unlike I have received in ages.

Tim
:cheers:
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 03:14:27 PM »
I concur about John... my bodies had the same issue as yours and he went above and beyond the call of duty by providing me a set of ck-4 card caps with my set at no extra charge... his service is top notch, can't wait to try his mics!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com