Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to post a .wav file...  (Read 3188 times)

Offline BruPri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How to post a .wav file...
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:10:55 PM »
Greetings, I did searches and looked over the FAQ, really quick, who can tell me the preferred way to post .wav files? I did an A/B comparison of a Sony PCM-D50 using internal and an external mic and the files of course are over the 512KB limit...
thanks,
BruPri

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: How to post a .wav file...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 10:14:26 PM »
Start by encoding it to FLAC.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll do some research to find out what FLAC is and let ya know when I'm ready for the next step(s)

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 10:44:58 PM »
mediafire.com
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »
Ok, I've downloaded FLAC and encoded the files but they're still 1,139 KB down from 2,466 KB  :-\

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »
Ok, I've downloaded FLAC and encoded the files but they're still 1,139 KB down from 2,466 KB  :-\

That's good. They're less than half the size now. :)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline greenone

• Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:23:57 AM »
Are you trying to post them here? I wouldn't do that...use one of the download sites and post the link here...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 02:27:40 PM »
I looked at some download sites and it appears they charge for the storage then the transfer function, I really can't justify the cost just to post a recording comparison unfortunately but I'm open to any other ideas, each file is about 1200 kb. Again this is a comparison recording using the Sony PCM-D50 internal mics against the Sony ECM-MS957..

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »
Use yousendit.com's lite option. Up to 100 people can download the file.
Downloads are limited to 1gb per month. You can upload a file up to 100mb in size.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »
First off, don't take this wrong, I really appreciate all the input, I'm getting an education here, but the one line responses to my original question just generate more questions and I think people are assuming I know more than I do. What I need is a simple beginning-to-end "how to" so I can share this file. Here's where we are so far, I have FLAC, understand that it is some type of lossless compressiong and have processed the file, I'm set up with a Yousendit account which looks like one can post and have others download, however it wants me to enter an email address to send the file, I've searched their FAQ and it's not clear to me the next step needed to simply upload the file then how to direct people to where it lives so they can un-FLAC it and hear it. :P

Sincerely,
BruPri

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »
upload to www.mediafire.com

no need to register or put in an email :)
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?0so9zgyjgmz

Thanks Crumbo!
did this work?

Offline Outrageous

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 07:01:47 PM »
did this work?

Bruce, yes it worked!  Thanks very much for your efforts--I'm getting an education along with you.  Both recordings sound good to me.  The internal mics sound more "natural" or "realistic", and the MS-957 sounds warmer, like a mic used by a radio talk-show host.  By the way, you have a good voice for that--have you considered podcasting?

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 12:45:15 AM »
I suppose I prefer the warmer sound, one of my favorite recording opportunities has been here in Seattle every summer at the kickoff of Seafair, a local festival, is to record the US Navy band outdoors. It's a great example of an unamplified, dynamic ensemble that fun to record. I've never done a podcast, I don't know what I'd talk about and who would have time to listen so that's a deal killer right there but thanks for the kind words  ;)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »
First off, don't take this wrong, I really appreciate all the input, I'm getting an education here, but the one line responses to my original question just generate more questions and I think people are assuming I know more than I do. What I need is a simple beginning-to-end "how to" so I can share this file. Here's where we are so far, I have FLAC, understand that it is some type of lossless compressiong and have processed the file, I'm set up with a Yousendit account which looks like one can post and have others download, however it wants me to enter an email address to send the file, I've searched their FAQ and it's not clear to me the next step needed to simply upload the file then how to direct people to where it lives so they can un-FLAC it and hear it. :P

Sincerely,
BruPri

RE: yousendit.com
A bit late, but I think you could email the link to yourself and then publish that link to others and they should be able to download the file.

I listened. I don't know which one I like better. The external mic has a warmer sound (ie. more of the lower frequencies), but the internal mic has more higher frequency content that gives better articulation.

A frequency trace shows that with the external mic you have more low frequency content starting at 70Hz and it is increasing as you go downward. You might try rolling off the lows with an eq (or software) and see how that sounds to you. It may open up the top end quite a bit.

I think your voice works well for radio too. If something comes up where someone needs narration or voiceover you might give that a try sometime.  :-)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:21:30 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com