Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What mics to use for a microtrack  (Read 3225 times)

Offline bender

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What mics to use for a microtrack
« on: December 29, 2007, 01:04:43 AM »
Ive recorded shows before, but I never used a battery box, except on a show I recorded of Buckethead onto minidisk. I have a microtrack and my battery box doesn't work anymore. What mics/batterybox would you guys recommend getting to record with? Also can you use the mic slot of the microtrack with a battery box or would I have to get something to split the mic output into two quarter inch inputs? I have a Sony ECM-DS70P. Is that a good mic to record with?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What mics to use for a microtrack
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:22:40 AM »
Not a lot of fans of those Sony mics on this board.  Check out the retail section of this board and look for Church Audio mics.  They won't break the bank and will be a big upgrade from your Sony.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline bender

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »
Hey is a preamp the same as a battery box? Because I am thinking of getting a new battery box for now then some new mics later.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 05:27:51 PM »
A pre can add attenuation or gain. At "unity" it effectively acts as a battery box.  When not using an outboard pre, you are using the one in your recorder. (built-in)  If you tape loud shows, a battery box may be all that you need.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »
I second most eveything Belexes said. the Church Audio mic is a great deal for the money and will be a huge improvement over that mediocre Sony mic.

I'll add one thing to what he said, though. You may want a Church Audio preamp even if you tape extremely loud shows. That is because there has been lot's of talk that at loud shows the Microtrack will sometimes distort even with the MicroTrack's levels turned down a low as possible. I don't know the technical terms, but you can't reduce the incoming signal all the way down to 0 with the Microtack & sometimes even the minimum level can be too loud for the Microtrack's preamp. Since the Church Audio ST-9100 attenuates as well as amplifies, you probably can avoid this problem by running an ST-9100 into the Microtrack's line in and using it to attenuate rather than amplify the incoming signal.  If you also tape quiet shows, this would be a particularly good option because the Church audio mic is farily insensitive and you may find you need to use the ST-9100 to get adequate gain for quiet shows.

If you only tape loud shows, maybe you don't need the preamp though. Very possibly the Church Audio mic wouldn't overload the MicroTrack's preamp since it is so insensitive and if it did, maybe all you'd need is to buy the 10 DB attenuator from M-Audio to avoid the problem. I would feel safer going line in with the ST-9100 myself however.

Maybe someone who uses a Church Audio mic with a MicroTrack can chime in on this. Very possibly the problems with the Microtrack's preamp overloading involved mics far more sensitive than the Church Audio. Actually Chris Church would be the best one to tell you the best way to use his mic with a Microtrack. If he doesn't see this and respond, you could send him a PM. He's very good about answering questions.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:45:23 AM »
I don't think there's any need for a batterybox on that sony mic. It's specifications are to work with up to 3volts plug in power. You'd be overpowering. I'd say, buy both a batterybox / preamp and a set of new mics or just try and see what comes out plugged directly into the MT on mic in using plug-in power.
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 07:51:42 AM »
Of course it doesn't hurt to try the Sony mic going mic in and see what you think since you already own it, but all the relatively inexpensive Sony mics are mediocre at best-particularly in bass response). I used a Sony ECM-MS907 for a while and was shocked by how much better a good mini-mic that cost about the same sounded.

The Church mic will sound way better and since it's relatively insensitive you may be able to take it mic in to a Microtrack without distortion. I suggest sending Chris Church a PM for his opinion on that. He'll give you his honest opinion about whether you also need his preamp or battery box.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
Ive recorded shows before, but I never used a battery box, except on a show I recorded of Buckethead onto minidisk. I have a microtrack and my battery box doesn't work anymore. What mics/batterybox would you guys recommend getting to record with? Also can you use the mic slot of the microtrack with a battery box or would I have to get something to split the mic output into two quarter inch inputs? I have a Sony ECM-DS70P. Is that a good mic to record with?

I am not trying to sell you anything but that sony mic is just not going to cut it for live shows. I would get something else. Trying to adapt it to 1/4 inch is a waste of time. Remember you can't get a diamond from a turd. That mic was designed for speech and for really low volume acoustic stuff. Its just not a great mic. For taking notes its great. There are lots of mics to look at there are some used ones in the Yard sale right now made by AT and of course I make mics too. But take a look around and ask lots of questions. Good luck with your search.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bender

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 06:51:47 PM »
I plan on only recording loud music for the most part. I've used a SP-BMC-3 straight into the m audio to record because the battery box/ bass roll off doesn't work and it still distorts. Here is a sample of a show done with those mics. It's this band called Against Me from Florida.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »
I plan on only recording loud music for the most part. I've used a SP-BMC-3 straight into the m audio to record because the battery box/ bass roll off doesn't work and it still distorts. Here is a sample of a show done with those mics. It's this band called Against Me from Florida.
I think your mics are "distorting" and there is nothing you can do about it except replace them. SP sell AT 853 mics that will take more SPL. There is a guy selling a pair in the Yard sale. I think your problem is your using a mic that was never really designed for loud shows. On loud shows.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com