Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG or ADK  (Read 3497 times)

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
AKG or ADK
« on: January 07, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »
First off... I love my TLs. They are my go to mics. And then there is James C414b (easyjim) Akgs in the yardsale. I could sell the TLs (with a lot of fluffing and waiting) and pay for half of the AKGs... Is it worth it.. ?  Good Idea?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:51:43 AM by bdasilva »
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG or ADK
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »
First off... I love my TLs. They are my go to mics. And then there is James C414b (easyjim) Akgs in the yardsale. I could sell the TLs (with a lot of fluffing and waiting) and pay for half of the AKGs... Is it worth it.. ?  Good Idea?

i'd get the busman mod for the TL's. a lot of scratch but it will certainly put it in a league with or above the akg's.  then again.....i'm a big fan of peluso's capsules so take that comment with a grain of salt.  there are a lot of happy akg 414 users

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:24:53 PM »
I think you all would know where my opinion sits here ;)

That being said, the 414s have been my "go to" mics - primarily for on-stage use or when I want to run m/s.  The difference between the two boils down to flavors/tastes, ultimately, and I will always love the molasses-like low end of the 414s above other LD mics.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »

i'd get the busman mod for the TL's. a lot of scratch but it will certainly put it in a league with or above the akg's.  then again.....i'm a big fan of peluso's capsules so take that comment with a grain of salt.  there are a lot of happy akg 414 users

without getting into the sonics of either mic I would just add one caveat to this, the AKG's have 5 patterns and the ADK's only 4 - no busman mod for that ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »
I have 414's and love them. Personally will never sell them, b/c of how versatile they are in any situation. Have not heard any recordings with Modded TL's. Link please...

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:33:01 PM »

without getting into the sonics of either mic I would just add one caveat to this, the AKG's have 5 patterns and the ADK's only 4 - no busman mod for that ;D

only the xls and later models have 5 i believe.

higher grade components will always outweigh "features" for me.  and sound will always outweigh components. ;D

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »
I ran the 414 subcards 2 weeks back in a room too weak for an omni signal, but where cards don't quite do it either.  I've found the answer to that room!  Those subcards absolutely ROCK it!  IIRC, it's the subcard (technically, really, just a widecard) pattern that's the difference between the 414's and the ADK's.   :)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »
without a doubt go with the 414's over the TL's if you can afford it, if not I'd say get some 480's for a couple hundred more than the cost of the TL's; the TL's are very decent mics with the very nice feature of switchable patterns, but when paired with a high quality pre like a V3 you will quickly realize their sonic limitations

Offline Brian

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »
ts.com....akg4life!

;)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 03:26:51 PM »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Brian

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »
Hater.   ;)

Im sorry, but this just made me laugh
but when paired with a high quality pre like a V3 you will quickly realize their sonic limitations

cause some of my best recordings were with stock TL>V3 and TL>V2>M1. i can only imagine how good mod TLs would sound with a grace pre.  higher grade components plus highly reputable peluso capsules.....mmmmmmm :)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »
  higher grade components plus highly reputable peluso capsules.....mmmmmmm :)

:drool:

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »
Hey Brian... What have you been up to?  Have not heard from you in a while...

... You know I have to agree with the busman mod TLs.  After having the mod done I have never looked back.  I love the mod TLs for any on stage or close placement but still run the 480s at a distance.  The mod smokes in M/S.  I'm still waiting for a chance to use the 480s and Mod TLs at the same time on the markbar just to see how they sound combined.  Maybe at MMMF.

Anyway... You are more than welcome to borrow the MOD TLs for a bit to see how you like them.  Just give me a call.

Here is Bus Mod TLs M/S stage lip -> Bus TMod R-4 for On the One at the Goathead.
http://www.archive.org/details/OTO2007-10-24
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:27:37 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Brian

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 10:09:03 AM »
yeah...i've been busy with my newborn son at home and work has picked up so i don't have as much ts.com time as i did before.

i'd love to the TL mod. however there was an accident with one of my TL's at a recording session a couple months ago. one of the performers wasn't paying attention knocked one over resulting in the grill getting pretty dented :( luckily the capsule is ok.  i've been painstakingly trying to fix it myself with a dental tool, but it's been a slow process.  i know i'll never get it back perfect, but i think i can get it close.  i wonder how much a new grill piece from ADK would cost?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
I cant speak for the Busman modded TLs as I have never heard them, but having owned both the TLs and the 414s the 414s were hands down the better mic to my ears.
also, once you go subcard, you never go back!  ;)

the water's clean and innocent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com