Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder  (Read 92802 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Edirol R-44 - Solid State 4 channel recorder
« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2008, 04:12:46 AM »
Something odd.

I just noticed the time remaining on the card counter, counts down in large steps....

16 bit @ 44.1 kHz = 12 second steps.
16 bit @ 88.2 kHz = 6 second steps.
24 bit @ 88.2 kHz = 4 second steps.

So it seems to be counting down the time in 0.01 Gb steps.

Odd.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2008, 08:23:41 AM »
I cracked, and bought one today.

Comments:-

If you turn on phantom power while recording, the whole recording digitally mutes on all channels for a few seconds - so be careful not to turn on channel 4 phantom when intending to turn on the limiter.

The limiter does appear to operate in the analogue domain, although the block diagram shows it after the A to D converter.  I tested this by connecting the mic inputs to the output of a Mackie mixer, whose output was switched to mic level.  Then I played some material from an iPod through the mixer into the R-44 mic inputs.  As you increase the analogue gain, a little indicator to the left of the level display lights up when the preamp clips (even though the actual meter isn't going over the top, if you have the digital level fader down a bit).  Turn on the limiter, and the preamp clipping light no longer comes on at the peaks, and the resulting recording when examined in Audition shows undamaged waveforms.  However, the limiter is really a compressor with a threshold set at about -10dB.  So, if you don't want the recording compressed significantly, you should aim to have the "forseen peaks" knocking around -12dB.  Then the limiter will only cut in on the occasional "unforseen peaks", which shouldn't be too noticable.  Normalise afterwards to make up the gain.

Noise levels at the mic input are good (imho).  I tested this with an MS stereo pair of Sennheiser MKH series mics, first fed directly into the R-44 (with the MS "effect" on, which works very nicely), then with a Sennheiser mic preamp designed for these mics feeding the R-44 at line level.  The recording was made at night in a suburban bedroom with a faintly ticking clock and distant traffic rumble, plus a bit of TV sound coming from another room.  After carefully aligning the levels between the two recordings, I couldn't tell the difference nor see the difference in Audition's spectral display.  As far as I am concerned, for all practical purposes, after running the preamp level at one which I know would be appropriate for recording classical chamber music, it's effectively noise free as far as I'm concerned. 

I've not had a chance to check out battery life, but will do so over the next couple of nights, with a set of 2600mAh rechargable batteries, and a lithium polymer external battery pack.  I did try yanking out the mains adapter plug during a recording and indeed the internal batteries take over nicely.  I should be able to get some pretty prodigious running times from the external battery pack handing over to the internals, which I think should work.

Build quality is impressive - it's pretty hefty in the hand.  Level and trim knobs are indeed fiddly.  Markers are not written into recorded files (that's pretty lame).  Display is small but very clear and easy to read from a variety of operating positions.  Internal mics are quite usable if you really needed to.    The scrub wheel does scrub when the transport is paused - in increments of 3/100 sec, which is where the 100th second display comes in -  enabling you add a marker at exactly the right place (but more's the pity they don't show in the DAW).

Chief downside for my purposes is lack of pannable, balance controlled monitoring - and while recording you can't even control the relative channel balance as the mixer menu can't be reached.   This means that once you go beyond a stereo pair, you'll need to use an external monitor mixer running off the four channel out connectors,to really judge what you're getting, or if you want to do any balanced playbacks.  The monitoring provision does enable you to judge whether there's actually a problem with any of the channels, as you can go through them one by one, so if that's all you need you won't be troubled by what troubles me.

I'm hoping to try it for real at a string quartet recital on Sunday.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #347 on: May 01, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »

Comments:-

I'm hoping to try it for real at a string quartet recital on Sunday.

Nice summary, agree with all that.

+T

The 100th sec display while recording is dumb (IMO) however. 1 second would be enough.

I have been trying to find hidden pages, no luck...I have turned the unit on with just about every button held. I will be interested to see what the first firmware revision delivers.

digifish
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:54:18 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2008, 09:08:55 AM »
does anyone have these in stock yet?

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
They have proved to be a very hot item as just about every distributor sold out their first shipment.  Looks like early to mid June before they become available again...even then if you're not on a waiting list you might miss out :-)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #350 on: May 01, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »
www.videoguys.com.au had at least one more in stock.

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #351 on: May 01, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
I've not had a chance to check out battery life, but will do so over the next couple of nights, with a set of 2600mAh rechargable batteries, and a lithium polymer external battery pack.  I did try yanking out the mains adapter plug during a recording and indeed the internal batteries take over nicely.  I should be able to get some pretty prodigious running times from the external battery pack handing over to the internals, which I think should work.

What about when you plug it back in?

nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
« Reply #352 on: May 01, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »

It goes back to external power
Retired Taper

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #353 on: May 01, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »

It goes back to external power

No kidding.  :P  Does it do it gracefully?  That's the question.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #354 on: May 01, 2008, 05:37:40 PM »
I got 2 hours 57 mins from the Ni-MH batteries last night, recording 4 mono tracks at 16/44.1, four phantoms on, display on, buttons on dim, illumination off.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #355 on: May 01, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »
Is it known whether the input level knob, the continuously variable one, operates in the analogue or digital domain?  The block diagram shows it after the A/D but given that it seems wrong about the limiter, maybe it's wrong about the input level.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #356 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »
Is it known whether the input level knob, the continuously variable one, operates in the analogue or digital domain?  The block diagram shows it after the A/D but given that it seems wrong about the limiter, maybe it's wrong about the input level.

The diagram is wrong. The limiter is definitely pre-A/D. 

More info:

The unit is designed to stand upright on a table if you need. Nice touch.

The headphone monitoring mutes when there is no signal, so it's hard to test how noisy the headphone amp is. I need to load up a silent WAV file and have a listen.

digifish
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:27:52 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2008, 01:02:51 AM »
Heh - this is neat - if you have the pre-recording on, and you press stop then play within the number of seconds provided in the prerecord setting, you'll achieve an almost gapless split - just a few samples missing - I'll try to work out how many later.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2008, 02:28:42 AM »
Heh - this is neat - if you have the pre-recording on, and you press stop then play within the number of seconds provided in the prerecord setting, you'll achieve an almost gapless split - just a few samples missing - I'll try to work out how many later.

Yes, that's something else that is missing the R-09 has, split files on the fly.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2008, 05:37:33 AM »
More comments and thoughts:-

Feature request - when you have an effect selected to apply during playback, it would be good to hear it during monitoring during recording, but not applied to the recorded sound.  So, for instance, that would allow you to monitor an MS pair as XY, while still writing as MS to the file.

Comments -

Although the USB interface of the R-44 is described as USB 2.0 High Speed, it seems to be significantly slower to transfer files via that route, compared with popping the card into a reader - say 10 mins vs 4 mins.

In my test, the number of samples dropped when pressing stop followed by record was about 6700 (rather more than a few, but that's 0.151 secs, which isn't long).  If you did that between songs during applause or silence, it would be no problem to fix in your DAW afterwards.

Take back all I said about markers not being written into files - the freeware editor Wavosaur shows them in BWF and wave files, and it also is able to open R-44 multichannel (four channels in one file) files - time to experiment further with that little gem of a program!  Audition seems unable to read them correctly, which surprises me as it's pretty standard on that kind of thing.

Fast forward and rewind is very nice - accelerates from slow and precise up to a high speed which makes winding to the right place in a 3 hour+ file straightforward.

The more I use the R-44 the more I like it.  Very nice piece of kit.

I guess I should try to definitively resolve the digital resampling question next...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com