Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: is it possible to modify a portable analog deck to use as a preamp?  (Read 1692 times)

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
just wondering.  i have a marantz pmd-430, and was wondering if it could be modified so you had power to the unit, but not running the actual mechanism, to use it as a preamp, or to use the VU meters?

cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
Re: is it possible to modify a portable analog deck to use as a preamp?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:18:17 AM »
just wondering.  i have a marantz pmd-430, and was wondering if it could be modified so you had power to the unit, but not running the actual mechanism, to use it as a preamp, or to use the VU meters?

I used to do that all the time with a Sony D5. I used to run two mics into the D5, then pushed down on just the record button on the D5 which would output a signal to the rca output jacks where I plugged my D7 DAT into. Sometimes we would run a cassette on the D5 to give to the band immediately after the show, but mostly the D5 was just a pre for the mics.. The Sony D5 was also cool in that if you held down the rec button when you stopped to flip the cassette over the machine would never drop the signal to the outputs. So my DAT would be seemless, even if I had to flip the cassette mid song..

I would be surprised if the Marantz didn't function in the same way.
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »
it does function in the same way, tho it looses the signal for a tape flip.

im wondering if there is a way to have the unit on without having the tape transport running, or if its even possible.

or if it would hurt it to have it on without a tape in it.

thanks for the info! +T
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:46:16 PM »
just looking at your gear list there jess...

Im assuming you want something to interface the Naks with one of your recorders?

You might be best off to revive the Aiwa Strasser for a few shows(if you still have it) - pending the repair of your MX100...

The Strasser has an unbalanced stereo 1/8 mic input - so only a few adapters would be in order. The Naks are already made to be run unbalanced - and they have a relatively low output...combine that with the -20db pad on the Aiwa and you should be able to make a nice recording. I think those older analog decks are pretty noisy. I always thought my D5s got a lot noisy-er once they were about 10-15 years old. Too much of a wooshing sound there. Even worse when the transport has to run.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com