Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)  (Read 50262 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Re: Fostex FR2-le "IN DA FIELD" (fr2le thread, pt 2)
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »
quick question,

Just got my FR2-LE in the mail (thanks Aberg!) and in doing some initial testing, it doesn't appear that my AT853rx xlrs are locking securely into the slips in the deck.  I think I remember reading someone else had a similar problem, but can't seem to find it.  Has this been encountered in the past? Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Thanks!
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
quick question,

Just got my FR2-LE in the mail (thanks Aberg!) and in doing some initial testing, it doesn't appear that my AT853rx xlrs are locking securely into the slips in the deck.  I think I remember reading someone else had a similar problem, but can't seem to find it.  Has this been encountered in the past? Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Thanks!

are you talking about the phantom power modules connected to the 853's?    I have the at853rx's (with the modules to power them with p48) and dont have a problem at all.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
quick question,

Thanks!

are you talking about the phantom power modules connected to the 853's?    I have the at853rx's (with the modules to power them with p48) and dont have a problem at all.. 

yeah, the hardwired AT8533x power modules.  Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough or something, but they don't seem to "click" into place so that you need ot press the silver release lever on the deck to remove them.  I'm a bit worried that they could just pull out of the deck in stealth situations.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
IIRC, mine "click" in..  but I'd have to check again at a later time..   
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline grtphl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2008, 03:43:10 PM »
I'm looking to buy an FR2LE.  There is someone onsite that I could get an Oade mod from, but while searching, I came across this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106560.0.html

$450 Buy it Now on eBay; 6 units remaining.  The seller's feedback is very positive.  Does the unit s/he's selling on eBay look like it's missing anything, or is it just a really good deal?

(BTW, once I pick up an FR2LE, I'm going to need your guys' help to help me get all the necessary accessories (currently building my first rig).  Here's a direct link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370065462198

Please help me make an educated decision on this item-- the low price shocked me, so I'm coming to you guys for input.  Thanks!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2008, 05:37:46 PM »
pull the trigger. the only accessories you need (besides mics/cable/etc) is batteries and cf cards.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2008, 06:52:30 PM »
pull the trigger. the only accessories you need (besides mics/cable/etc) is batteries and cf cards.
How many batteries and total CF card storage space would you guys bring to a 3 day festival?

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2008, 01:23:52 AM »
How many batteries and total CF card storage space would you guys bring to a 3 day festival?

batteries..  4 7200mah or 6/7 5400mah should do it..  but that would be for every note..

as for the CF storage...  depends on the bitrate/samplerate mostly..

16bit 44k        2 hours per gig
24bit 44/48     about a gig an hour
24/96             half that....

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »
About overheat with no moving parts, the hot temp is not due to motors or anything, but to regulators converting voltages inside.

It would be a good idea to get to the hot part and feel how hot it gets. If you can keep your finger on it the part will usually be fine.

If you can't keep your finger then the part will need some heatsinking, which may be provided or not. If it's not then some DIYing may improve on that.

In any case, such a mod should be carried on by someone who knows what he's doing, so as not to cause any short circuits or invalidate the warranty. 

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2008, 06:23:41 AM »

I would have two Tamiya batteries and the fast charger.  The Tamiya doubles the battery time of the LE and the fast charger can charge by mains or in the car while you are using the other battery - so you can always have power, even miles from the mains.

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »
Have my BSC1s.  FR2LE is on the way.  I need to order the rest online (quickly) so it'll all be here in just under two weeks for some shows.  I don't know what I'm doing.  Cables: what should I get and from where?  90-degree angled on the mics end would be nice.  Stand: I have the T-Bar that came with the BSC1... where can I get a stand that would mount this?  Batteries: Who's a good online vendor?  CF card: Who's a good online vendor and what's a reliable brand?

Hope I'm not missing anything.  Please help so I have time to practice setting up and taking down my gear before it's used in the field.

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »
edit: Helped in another thread.  Ignore this post.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »
Have my BSC1s.  FR2LE is on the way.  I need to order the rest online (quickly) so it'll all be here in just under two weeks for some shows.  I don't know what I'm doing.  Cables: what should I get and from where?  90-degree angled on the mics end would be nice.  Stand: I have the T-Bar that came with the BSC1... where can I get a stand that would mount this?  Batteries: Who's a good online vendor?  CF card: Who's a good online vendor and what's a reliable brand?

Hope I'm not missing anything.  Please help so I have time to practice setting up and taking down my gear before it's used in the field.
you can get cables from lots of places - depends what you want copper, silver, ra, length
you want a light stand typically and depending on the end of the stand and your tbar you might need an adapter
batteries seem to be cheapest on ebay
the fr2le doesn't seem top be to picky with cards, i am running adata 16gb

if you really want to make it easy though (i think) you can get everything from b&h although its not going to be the cheapest way to go
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »
if I'm not mistaken, there is a brand new set of FR2-LE compatible batts + charger in teh yardsale right now ($50). Not mine...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,107038.0.html

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Ordered the cables today.  Have a light stand planned for purchase; and, after waiting for input from the guy who sold me the FR2LE, I'll be picking up batteries along with an 8 gig A-data card.  Once this is done, so is the rig... for now  >:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.147 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com