Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 113457 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »
Hi Josephine- I had to responsd specifically re: the remote- I've never done 'open' on my recording and all my recordings are 'stealth'- that said, I like the remote- since it's good for volume and splitting the file, I've used it during the one open I did (Marc Ford recently) and see it as advantage for one less thing I have to do in "CD WAVE" not that it's a big deal. Additionally, I can see for stealth where it is an advantage. Since one of the venues doesn't allow any electronic devices (including cell phones) during a performance, they have literally pulled people's phone etc right out of their hands. Since I went to this venue and used celophane (blue on the red lights) It filtered the lighting coming from the device, and using the remote adjusted my levels without having to even touch the R-09HR. That is an advantage since no knows what I'm doing. It's line of sight, it's been less hassle and more stealth for me. I use the cutout for a keyring as a reference to know which buttons I access (gain and split). BTW, I don't use the lock switch and so far no disasters, yet ;-)))

I've used the R-09HR a few times now. <snipped>A couple of my not-so-important observations.
As for the remote control . . . IMO, it is useless.  In an open taping setting, I see no reason to use one.  If you are stealthing, if you don't utilize the lock switch, you are begging for disaster.  A with the lock "on," the remote is essentially rendered inoperable.

If the remote were operable with the lock button switched "ON," I would absolutely see its advantages.
Personally, I will not risk running without the lock "on" while stealth recording.
It's far too easy to knock/bump/touch the Record button and stop/pause recording.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »
I've used the R-09HR a few times now.  Once @ 16/44, once @ 24/48, and once @ 24/96.  No issues whatsoever.

A couple of my not-so-important observations. 

I really prefer the new larger screen.  It is definitely "old-eyes" friendly.  Also, I don't know whether I just got really lucky my last few outings, but I think the recordings actually sound better.  The lock button on the back is not a problem . . . just tape over the other buttons and you'll not have a problem.  It's not like you'll need to change their settings.  The tape will also prevent accidental changes.  I find the location of the HR's lock switch to be an easier access than the one on the R-09. 

I do not like what they did with the batteries.  That new door worries me.  People are sure to drop it, lose it, step on it, etc.  Personally, I had no problem with the battery design on the R-09.   Changing batterries on the fly with the R-09 was much easier.  Just open that door, let the old ones drop out and drop in the new.  The HR battery design is not that simple.

As for the remote control . . . IMO, it is useless.  In an open taping setting, I see no reason to use one.  If you are stealthing, if you don't utilize the lock switch, you are begging for disaster.  A with the lock "on," the remote is essentially rendered inoperable.

I'm also wondering . . .  do I really want to record at 24/96 now just because I can?  Perhaps this question is better addressed in a different thread.  Storing large 24/48 files is challenge enough. 

Thanks Val - just pulled the trigger on one of these for $250.  Now to track out some tom waits...

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 05:59:17 PM »
Now to track out some tom waits...

:whipped:  Get to work!!!
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »
Thanks Val - just pulled the trigger on one of these for $250.  Now to track out some tom waits...

Where did you find one for $250?

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »

Where did you find one for $250?

Check the ebay forum for a nice coupon.   ;)

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »
I must be blind, nothing about R09hr coupons

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »

Just to let you know that I really appreciate your tests. Great job. I'm in love with my R09RH. Thanks  ;)

No problem. I am liking the 09HR better than the R09 too. It just feels more robust and seems to be pulling nicer recordings :)

BTW: My post here is now with R&D Japan. Looking forward to what they say,

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
I ran another test of the 16GB A-Data class 6 SDHC card... this time there was trouble.  I updated to v1.04 firmware, did a fresh format to the SD card, and set it to record at 24/96 with 1GB splits.  It recorded 4 files ok then when it split to the 5th file, it stopped recording (there is only 1 second recorded for the 5th file).  Unfortunately, I did not witness what happened when the recording stopped.  I went to check it and the unit had powered down (assuming it sat idle for 3 minutes - as that is how I had the power save setup).  I started recording again at it appears to be doing fine.

I guess I'll be repeating this test a few times.

Update:  So the recording continued fine until the batteries ran out, and the last file is ok, so I assume it saved it before completely shutting down.  I was using "Kirkland Signature" alkalines (Costco house brand) and got 4 hrs 4 minutes recorded before it shut down.  The 5th file that it stopped on as described above seems to be missing file header info since I can't get any file properties when downloaded onto my computer - not sure what this indicates, whether there was a "slow card" error during recording or not.

I just got done testing a 16GB A-Data class 6 SDHC card.  Ran it using a fesh pair of Energizer "standard" alkaline batteries.  Card formatted on the r09hr.  I got 5 hrs 15 min at 24/96, appears flawless, even stopped/started 4 times.  No "slow card" errors.  I haven't updated, so I'm running v1.03 firmware.  I do the same with my PNY 16GB class 6 SDHC card tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:45:57 PM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »
I ran another test of the 16GB A-Data class 6 SDHC card... this time there was trouble.  I updated to v1.04 firmware, did a fresh format to the SD card, and set it to record at 24/96 with 1GB splits.  It recorded 4 files ok then when it split to the 5th file, it stopped recording (there is only 1 second recorded for the 5th file).  Unfortunately, I did not witness what happened when the recording stopped.  I went to check it and the unit had powered down (assuming it sat idle for 3 minutes - as that is how I had the power save setup).  I started recording again at it appears to be doing fine.

I just got done testing a 16GB A-Data class 6 SDHC card.  Ran it using a fesh pair of Energizer "standard" alkaline batteries.  Card formatted on the r09hr.  I got 5 hrs 15 min at 24/96, appears flawless, even stopped/started 4 times.  No "slow card" errors.  I haven't updated, so I'm running v1.03 firmware.  I do the same with my PNY 16GB class 6 SDHC card tomorrow.

that stinks, i may just record 24/448 just to be safe.
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »

Just curious: what brand?
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
A-Data
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
A-Data

Sorry, I'm not familiar with particular brand. It's just that I've heard really bad things about Transcend cards, so I assume that was your card brand.  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2008, 12:10:06 AM »
I just pulled 2 more decent recordings last weekend @ 24/96 with ZERO errors.  I used a Toshiba 8GB SDHC class 4 for the Gin Blossoms(on Dime) and a Toshiba 4GB SDHC class 4 for The Rembrandts, same venue and on the same set of Sanyo 2700's. Still had full power showing on the ride home.  My guess is the cards are to blame for the slow read errors folks are reporting.  So far, I've had NO errors... Lovin' the HR!!!!
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2008, 07:07:47 AM »
i have a scandisk 8 gb sdhc, i am thinking about getting the 16 gb version. i try to stick with brand names. i will be taping the crowes tonight at 24/48 just to play it safe
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com