Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R09HR  (Read 103849 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
Re: Edirol R09HR
« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »
Not sure if this was covered earlier but the other more inportant thing that Jamie missed in his report is the build quality of the input jacks has been improved. In our discussion of this unit he informed me that the input jacks are now soldered to the board which is great news.  Should do away with the input failures experienced on the initial models.
T+ Jamie for the report.......

Peace OOK

The problem with the R-09 jacks were that they were ONLY soldered to the board.  No other mechanical connection (or flexible lead for disconnection).

The first thing I looked for in the fuzzy pics of the HR insides was if the jacks had locating pin in the open holes beneath them through the circuit board.  They don't appear to which is bad.  But, it does look like instead of being soldered to surface pads on the face of the board, The jacks may have leads that go through pass-though's on the board forming a mechanical connection like the locating pins would have done, maybe better.  That would be an improvement.  Can you confirm this?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »
Edirol's description of the R-09HR includes this description of the new analog to digital circuitry:

"I.A.R.C. (Isolated Adaptive Recording Circuit) is a newly developed, dedicated analog circuit optimized for recording with the R-09HR's onboard A/D converter. Electrolytic capacitors provide stable, reliable power with an independent power source for the analog circuitry, and another power source for the digital circuit board, thus eliminating DC interference between components in the R-09HR."

From Jamie's photos, can anyone tell how separated the digital and analog circuitry is?  Sony uses a separate circuit board for analog in the D-50 and D-1.

Flintstone
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:00:40 AM by flintstone »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2008, 01:26:12 AM »
^^^
The R-09 had the same IRAC speil on the box.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2008, 03:13:29 AM »

The problem with the R-09 jacks were that they were ONLY soldered to the board.  No other mechanical connection (or flexible lead for disconnection).

The first thing I looked for in the fuzzy pics of the HR insides was if the jacks had locating pin in the open holes beneath them through the circuit board.  They don't appear to which is bad.  But, it does look like instead of being soldered to surface pads on the face of the board, The jacks may have leads that go through pass-though's on the board forming a mechanical connection like the locating pins would have done, maybe better.  That would be an improvement.  Can you confirm this?

All of the leads for all of the jacks, pass thru the board and are soldiered(with good size soldier joints), I really don't see there being a problem with them breaking anymore.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
Great.

jamesdouglas

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #350 on: June 08, 2008, 12:28:24 AM »
these are all recorded with the r09hr
www.myspace.com/theseears

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2008, 07:15:25 AM »
Battery life test:

Last night I let the R-09HR record with the internal mics @ 24/48, default backlight brightness, remote off, regular use of the record LED. I was using 2500mAh Energizer rechargeable batteries. I nearly filled my 8GB SDHC card. I ended up with files of:

2:04:12
0:43:41

For a total recording time of 6:56:17. That's enough for me!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #352 on: June 08, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »
Battery life test:

Last night I let the R-09HR record with the internal mics @ 24/48, default backlight brightness, remote off, regular use of the record LED. I was using 2500mAh Energizer rechargeable batteries. I nearly filled my 8GB SDHC card. I ended up with files of:

Does it automatically save the last file before shutting down?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #353 on: June 08, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
Battery life test:

Does it automatically save the last file before shutting down?

Richard

Yup.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #354 on: June 08, 2008, 07:42:18 PM »
used mine in the field today, and perfect auto split.

the bummer was that the wind picked up during the show and the wind-screens were int he car, great weather forcasting :(

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Edirol R09HR Display Brightness
« Reply #355 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »
HI, Not sure if any of you are subjected to "No electronics devices of any kind" pronouncements, but one venue I frequent in LA more often then not (because the artist just loves it) but with my new device, if they see ANY device on (cell, PDA, or whatever) they will outright snatch it out of your hands- I know this from experience ;-). That said, even with display settings, unless you start the recorder ahead of time, there are times when you want to check the settings. What I did was use a belt clip case that I had for my Creative Zen (which as a mechanical hard drive went south) and cut-out the back of it where the top portion of the display shows your volume, and punched a hole by the bottom for where the 'red' light shines for recording and standby mode. Still in a very dark theater like the one I'm referring to, any light brings attention when NO ONE else has anything on. I was going to go out and pick up some colored transparency material to mask the brightness and after reading in the thread how pricey it is rummaged around in my drawer and found one of the old 3-d masks for watching films that had blue on one side and red. I didn't want to use electrical tape (like on the red light coming off the top of unit) as I can see some huge advantages for having the unit safely tucked away and using the remote to control the settings (like input volume and splitting in between songs) so I take the blue and tuck it over the infared receiver and stick the red over the display which is seen through a cutout I made in the leather holster for my unit.  Not sure if anyone had run into this issue, but in a venue where they're not strict on checking what your bringing it, but extreme on any device that illuminate, this is what I came up with. Last night I 'field tested' it and it really helps. I taped the red portion over the display screen showing the levels and it really keeps the illumination way down. Additionally, by using the dark blue transparency one over the recording light and the infared (both "beam me up scotty" RED") and they were almost invisible. While used black electrical tape on my prior rig for any lights emitted, I wouldn't use it on the R-09HR- I really like the manual splitting feature as well as being able to adjust my levels on the fly with the remote since it's much less obvious to anyone around you what your doing when it's done by remote.
Surf1div1
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:01:14 AM by surf1div1 »
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline Olychild

• Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Luddite
« Reply #356 on: June 12, 2008, 02:34:08 AM »
Finally got my R09Hr today  ;D & now this newbie needs some SD memory card advice. What should I use? can anyone suggest some reliable brands & good places to buy them? I'm thinking about going with some 16 gig cards & it would be nice to know what experienced users prefer.
Recording: CA-14 > CA-9100 > R09HR
Playback: 70's solid state thrift scores
Riding: Vespa LX-150, Firestone Speed Cruiser II, Burley Runabout

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #357 on: June 12, 2008, 02:55:04 AM »
Finally got my R09Hr today  ;D & now this newbie needs some SD memory card advice. What should I use? can anyone suggest some reliable brands & good places to buy them? I'm thinking about going with some 16 gig cards & it would be nice to know what experienced users prefer.

I always use Sandisk or Kingston cards.  :)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #358 on: June 12, 2008, 03:51:46 AM »
I'm stupid enough to think that because Panasonic charge an arm and leg for their cards, therefore they must be good!  But I've certainly had no problems with them.

However, the fact that they supply them for and with their high def camcorders would seem to imply they have confidence in their performance and reliability, as the camcorder would be no good if the card used was no good.

In AVCHD video use, a 4Gb card fills in about 40 mins, by the way, if that gives some kind of performance guide vs audio requirements.

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #359 on: June 12, 2008, 08:58:06 AM »
At 24/96, my HR works out at 1:06 (or there and thereabouts) for a 2gig file, if that helps.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com