Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R09HR  (Read 103826 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R09HR
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »
Got my R-09HR today :) Nice little recorder. It definitely feels more robust than the R-09. I'll take pictures some other day comparing it to the R-09, unless someone else wants to before I get around to it.

I did a couple quick tests, one being an ADC test (will post the link here when the files are done uploading). While I don't know how to measure unity gain, I did a quick test on the gain structure. I recorded a sine wave from my iMac > recorder line-in. At the particular output level of my iMac, we get the following:

R-09 (level, peak) (reference standard at supposed unity gain level 8):
8, -24.2dB
13, -19.6 (default input gain)

R-09HR (level, peak) (default is 40):
40, -21.5dB
39, -22
38, -22.5
37, -23
36, -23.5
35, -24
34, -24.5
33, -25

I did not run further down or up to see if this "half dB per gain click" continues to hold true. According to this, levels 35 or 34 would best approximate the R-09 level 8. For my ADC test, I chose level 35.

Thanks for your tests  ;) .I don't have a R09HR (yet) and it's good to have a clue about unity gain.
+T
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #316 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:56 PM »
Just got off the phone with sweetwater, they will match the minidisco.com price with discount.

I'll post some pictures of the r09hr's innards by the end of the week. 8)

Thanks for the heads up on the minidisco discount. +T
Yes, please post.
I'm most interested if they've improved the mic gain, reducing the self noise.  Even a few dB would help me greatly with my various omni mic capsules.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #317 on: June 03, 2008, 11:39:21 PM »
Got my R-09HR today :) Nice little recorder. It definitely feels more robust than the R-09. I'll take pictures some other day comparing it to the R-09, unless someone else wants to before I get around to it.

I did a couple quick tests, one being an ADC test (will post the link here when the files are done uploading). While I don't know how to measure unity gain, I did a quick test on the gain structure. I recorded a sine wave from my iMac > recorder line-in. At the particular output level of my iMac, we get the following:

8, -24.2dB

40, -21.5dB
39, -22
38, -22.5
37, -23
36, -23.5
35, -24
34, -24.5
33, -25

I did not run further down or up to see if this "half dB per gain click" continues to hold true. According to this, levels 35 or 34 would best approximate the R-09 level 8. For my ADC test, I chose level 35.

Excellent.  Thanks for the info.

Some questions:
- the HR has gain #00 to #100, right?  Does it have a high/lo sens setting as well?

- the R09 has steps of 1dB, #00 to #30, while the HR has steps of 0.5dB.  OK.  From your measurements it looks like #10 on the R09 is approx. #40 on the HR.  If this is true then #30 on the Edirol is approx #80 on the HR.  OK, my question is do you get any better SNR on the HR unit?  How to test?  Try setting both units to high gain, eg., #30 on the R09, #80 on the HR, plug a (low noise) mic in and see which has more hiss.  As a sanity check, make sure both are peaking around the same levels.

I'm anxious to know if the self noise is better on the HR, since I need (a bit) lower noise for my various omni "hat mics".

Thanks!!!
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline Olychild

• Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Luddite
« Reply #318 on: June 04, 2008, 01:21:34 AM »
Someone just posted a Judas Priest show recorded with the R09HR using the internal mics. Here is the link if you want to hear the results: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=199579
Recording: CA-14 > CA-9100 > R09HR
Playback: 70's solid state thrift scores
Riding: Vespa LX-150, Firestone Speed Cruiser II, Burley Runabout

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #319 on: June 04, 2008, 02:57:27 AM »
Someone just posted a Judas Priest show recorded with the R09HR using the internal mics. Here is the link if you want to hear the results: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=199579

I thought that too, then noticed:
EQUIPMENT: EDIROL R-09HR + SONY ECM-DS70P MIC

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #320 on: June 04, 2008, 06:13:09 AM »

8, -24.2dB

40, -21.5dB
39, -22
38, -22.5
37, -23
36, -23.5
35, -24
34, -24.5
33, -25

Excellent.  Thanks for the info.

Some questions:
- the HR has gain #00 to #100, right?  Does it have a high/lo sens setting as well?

- the R09 has steps of 1dB, #00 to #30, while the HR has steps of 0.5dB.  OK.  From your measurements it looks like #10 on the R09 is approx. #40 on the HR.  If this is true then #30 on the Edirol is approx #80 on the HR.  OK, my question is do you get any better SNR on the HR unit?  How to test?  Try setting both units to high gain, eg., #30 on the R09, #80 on the HR, plug a (low noise) mic in and see which has more hiss.  As a sanity check, make sure both are peaking around the same levels.

I'm anxious to know if the self noise is better on the HR, since I need (a bit) lower noise for my various omni "hat mics".

Thanks!!!
  Richard

I would do that (measure SNR), but... I don't have any mics to plug in.

The R-09HR has gain settings from 0 - 80. There is a low/high mic sens. switch, but it does not affect the line-in (I ran line-in for the previous test).

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #321 on: June 04, 2008, 07:01:34 AM »
Minidisco for $369:

"How to Get $30 Off your order for the Edirol R-09HR

Place an order for the Edirol R-09HR on our web site (www.minidisco.com) by 11:59pm on June 30th.
On the page where you enter your payment information, look for the box where you are asked to enter
a coupon code. Type in the following secret coupon code:  HR30

Make sure you type the code word just as it appears above, and then click the "Apply" button.
Like magic, $30 will be deducted from your order!  Only one coupon per customer per day."
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #322 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »
Version 1.04 was released a few days ago, it seems. Mine was shipped with 1.03. Perhaps I'll update tonight.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=4720&iStcd=34

R-09HR System Program Version 1.04
For Product(s): R-09HR

This program is used to update the R-09HR system software to the most recent version.
Compatible with 32 GB SDHC (High Capacity) memory cards

The S/N ratio is improved during 88.2 kHz/96 kHz recording/playback

For Operating System(s): MacOSX / WindowsVista / WindowsXP

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #323 on: June 04, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »
Well, I pulled the trigger on this and while I don't have any actual true experience with the new setup, I wanted to post some thoughts and ask a question. First off, the unit appears to be very substantial in my hands- not a cheap feeling unit at all. Additionally for stealth (as all my shows are pretty much) I LOVE the remote for any seating venues- if you have some LOS to it, you can change the volume settings and even do file splits on the fly- handy from what I can tell- if as an example your rig's wiring for your mics are long enough to where you set the unit down and with the unit covered between your feet on the floor as example ( I know , like who has wires that long- but it's a thought) you can adjust while viewing from above. The downside to that is that even with the adjustments to the display, it's still way to bright on that red light even for just a couple of seconds- I HATE that. I know I will have to find some type of transparent film to put over to 'cover' that, but for now, it's a hassle.
 Now the question- I have the DPA 4061's that are terminated as 1/8'th miniplug and the battery box from Core Sound (I am not endorsing Core at all FYI) but want to run my HEB mics from the battery box directly into the unit. Any thoughts? I would I believe being going MIC in (don't think line in) without any power since the battery box provides the power. Also, does anyone know the specs off hand on the DPA's to see if I could use the power provided by the unit to power the mics without the battery box? That's my question and I'm sticking by it. It will be great to get rid of my PD-AUdio once and for all once I compare the quality of this self contained unit that's very lopro vs the bulk of the PD-Audio.
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
Got the R09hr today, and took it apart before I even turned it on.  ;D

My camera really sucks at close ups, but here's whats inside.

And I am very happy to report that the input jacks (top right)are soldiered thru the PCB and should not be a problem.  :clapping:

Overall, the build quality appears to be pretty good.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #325 on: June 05, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »
Thanks for the pics! Great news on the input jacks and quality of the build.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #326 on: June 05, 2008, 11:42:25 AM »

And I am very happy to report that the input jacks (top right)are soldiered thru the PCB and should not be a problem.  :clapping:

Excellent. Thanks for the pics.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #327 on: June 05, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »

Wow!  That's great!

Can you please tell me the main chip on this thing?  I think the preamp/ADC/DAC/headphone amp are all on the same chip.  Probably the one with the most pins, on the board on the upper right of the photopraph.  Read off all the numbers if you can.  I suspect it is the same as the R09, but I would like to confirm.  Maybe they've got a newer/improved version of the chip.  One can hope.

Thanks!
  Richard

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #328 on: June 05, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »
Can you please tell me the main chip on this thing? 

I have already reassembled it, but being I have gotten several PM's asking for the same, I will take it apart again this weekend and get all the chip numbers I can read. Should have done that the first time I had it apart.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #329 on: June 05, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »
Can you please tell me the main chip on this thing? 

I have already reassembled it, but being I have gotten several PM's asking for the same, I will take it apart again this weekend and get all the chip numbers I can read. Should have done that the first time I had it apart.

No worries.  Thanks brave soul!

Richard

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.309 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com