Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R09HR  (Read 103756 times)

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
Re: Edirol R09HR
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2008, 12:40:30 AM »
Finally got my R09Hr today  ;D & now this newbie needs some SD memory card advice. What should I use? can anyone suggest some reliable brands & good places to buy them? I'm thinking about going with some 16 gig cards & it would be nice to know what experienced users prefer.

I find the "genuine" Toshiba 8GB cards are excellent.  Never had one fail.  Watch out for cheap imitations on eBay...
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »
Finally got my R09Hr today  ;D & now this newbie needs some SD memory card advice. What should I use? can anyone suggest some reliable brands & good places to buy them? I'm thinking about going with some 16 gig cards & it would be nice to know what experienced users prefer.

I always use Sandisk or Kingston cards.  :)

I always use Kingston.

:)   :)

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline GregDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2008, 11:16:49 AM »
Thought I'd post a status message... I used my R-09HR Wednesday to tape a live show and have had a chance to transfer and work with the audio.

1) I started out with the gain WAY too low (external battery box mics, no chance to sound check) and had to bring it up quickly during the first song.  I'm pleased to note that the sound was unaffected by recording at a low level and boosting it in a sound editor later; and any internal noise was below the noise floor of the venue.  I was using 24/48 so the extra bits helped.

2) Memory was a Patriot 8GB card, rated at class 6, and it was fine.  Unfortunately, the show wasn't long enough to test the auto-split feature (which I had left set to 2GB).

3) The reviewers aren't kidding when they say it's hard to see the display in daylight.  With brightness cranked and some shading of the display, it was just visible enough to adjust levels.  When power save kicks in, no way.  The only way I was able to see to adjust levels was to play with the output volume so the display would brighten; I was afraid to use the other controls without advance experimentation...  I hate to turn off power save because of the increased current draw and of course the OLED lifetime issues.  Hopefully it'll be better inside or in deep shade.

4) The day I got the unit I had an opportunity to record a show with no advance notice, so I trusted the internal mics and winged it.  They did a decent job, and I was satisfied with the results; again, I guessed the levels so they were initially very low but had no issues with the resultant recording.

5) This unit really needs some kind of anchor to allow you to secure it in the field.  I used the loop on the back to hang it on the mic stand and wrapped a velcro strip around the case/support to keep it from moving and it worked OK, but was a bit unprofessional.  Definitely cheaper than the optional case, though!

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »
First show in ages that I've upped as flacs...

Ida Maria @ Kings College London, 2008-06-02.

Went CA11's > Mic in on the HR at 24/96. Upped at 16/44.1 though for the sake of my dodgy internet connection.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105434.0.html

Enjoy.

;D

Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline a-dub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #364 on: June 15, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
Has anyone recorded ninja style with binaural mics yet? If so, how is the noise?
Shhh, silence is golden.

Offline Falconidave

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #365 on: June 15, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »
Here's a recording I pulled last night of The Tubes in Texas: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=201168
Utilized line-in 24/96 w/ AT943 Cards and CA STC-9000.  Same exact spot I recorded John Waite last month.  A far superior recording to my ears and the file split at 2GB was seamless too.  I love the HR so far...

David
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #366 on: June 17, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
Here's a recording I pulled last night of The Tubes in Texas: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=201168
Utilized line-in 24/96 w/ AT943 Cards and CA STC-9000.  Same exact spot I recorded John Waite last month.  A far superior recording to my ears and the file split at 2GB was seamless too.  I love the HR so far...

David

Hi, thanks for sharing that link. I got my Edirol R-09HR a few weeks ago, and am going to tape with it for the time this Saturday. I am most concerned about battery power in 24/96 mode. Do you remember how much battery power was left after the show was over?
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Josephine

« Reply #367 on: June 17, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »

David

Hi, thanks for sharing that link. I got my Edirol R-09HR a few weeks ago, and am going to tape with it for the time this Saturday. I am most concerned about battery power in 24/96 mode. Do you remember how much battery power was left after the show was over?

I don't imagine your battery life would vary depending upon what mode you're running in.
I think you're going to get the same battery life running at 24/96 as you would running at 24/48 or 16/44.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #368 on: June 17, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »

David

I don't imagine your battery life would vary depending upon what mode you're running in.
I think you're going to get the same battery life running at 24/96 as you would running at 24/48 or 16/44.

The higher the sample rate/bit depth the more the recorder has to write to the flash card so shorter the battery life I'd expect.  I doubt writing to the flash card is the biggest draw, but it probably impacts battery life.

Offline Josephine

« Reply #369 on: June 17, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »

David

The higher the sample rate/bit depth the more the recorder has to write to the flash card so shorter the battery life I'd expect.  I doubt writing to the flash card is the biggest draw, but it probably impacts battery life.

I was hoping someone would correct me . . . if'n I was wrong.  ;)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #370 on: June 17, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »
recorded a 2 hour set (yazoo) on my HR set at 24/96 and hardly marked the battery display at all. Fresh batteries for that show of course

Word of warning though, used a HCSD 4GB Card and kept getting an error message saying 'card is running slow'
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline Falconidave

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #371 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »

David

Sorry for the delayed response.  Battery level was still showing full on 2x 2700 Sanyos after show was over.  It didn't even start to go down until I got home and started uploading.  That's after I listened to the show on the ride home.  It seems to be comparable to the old R-09.  Also used a Toshiba 8GB class 4 SDHC card with no "slow read" errors whatsoever...

Offline war throat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #372 on: June 17, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »
I got an R09HR today and when playing around with it, I noticed when you adjust the recording level up or down there is a loud click on the recording for every step up or down. Did the R09 do this too or is it just this model (or my specific unit)?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #373 on: June 17, 2008, 09:49:37 PM »
When using internal mics or not?  Could simply be the audible sound of the control.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #374 on: June 17, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »
I got an R09HR today and when playing around with it, I noticed when you adjust the recording level up or down there is a loud click on the recording for every step up or down. Did the R09 do this too or is it just this model (or my specific unit)?

Yes the R09 introduced 'step' sounds when you adjust the gain on the fly, not 'loud' clicks, just soft ones. I thought I read that the HR didn't do this? Not surprising that it does...someone will be along in a moment with the correct answer for the HR. OZPeters question is a good one, not mechanical is it :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com