Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 HR and possible HCSD glitch ?  (Read 6572 times)

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
Edirol R-09 HR and possible HCSD glitch ?
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »
went to record Yazoo last night (Manchester Apollo). Set at 24/96 on 4GB HCSD Card. 2 hours record time on the display. Set it running. An hour in got this message on the screen;

'SD card Running too slow, press any key'. Not sure why my card failed to cope with the 24/96 rate. Any thoughts.

End result was I had to stop and re start recording 3 times, meaning a few minutes lost.

Also, does anyone know that if the above message is displayed that the recorder still works (ie, is it still recording?). The message was large enough to obscure anything that was going on 'underneath' it if you catch my drift.
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
Re: Edirol R-09 HR and possible HCSD glitch ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 03:50:33 PM »
what speed is your card?
Any reason why recording at 96? 
I used to do everything at 24/96 then realized I couldn't tell any difference with my playback.  Now its 24/44.1 or 24/48 = smaller files that still sound great.  Also don't have to worry about speed issues.

I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline polewka

• Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 03:54:03 PM »
recording at 96, just could I thought I could, going back to 48 now.

As for speed of card, it's a Transcend SDHC Card - Class 6, don't know much else apart form that. Sorry.

And thanks for your prompt response !

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:08:43 PM »
huh......I thought a class 6 should be able to handle 24/96?

Maybe a bigger nerd than me can comment more on card class and speed?
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:19:56 PM »
Where did you buy the card at?

I remember hearing of counterfeit 4gb transcend cards being sold on Ebay a while back.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline polewka

• Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:08:01 PM »
not e-bay from amazon I think.

Have taped 24/48 3 times on it successfully so far !

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:08:43 PM »
I got that error on a Kingston card in my R-09. Formatting it within the R-09 fixed it (it was formatted when I bought it and I never bothered formatting it in the recorder until I saw that card slow error - luckily happened when I was mucking around with it, and not at a show  ;D).

Offline polewka

• Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 04:53:22 AM »
cheers, that could be the answer i guess?

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 11:53:43 PM »
I taped The Tubes @ 24/96 on a Toshiba 8BG SDHC Class 4 with no problems whatsoever.  I also have firmware version 1.04.
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 12:03:11 AM »
According to my calculations, a class two card should actually suffice, at least in theory.  Given the low price of 1GB good quality (Sandisk) class two cards, the experiment isn't a costly one to try on your particular recorder.

However - a class 2 card is only a class 2 card when formatted.  When badly fragmented, a class 6 card degrades to class 4, etc etc.  So a class 2 card might become too slow (class zero?!) if not formatted at the outset.

I do plan to do some long and repeated soak tests with class 2 cards in an R-44 and H2 before long.

As pointed out elsewhere, you do have to consider read speed too - but if that's not such a big issue, and you want to reduce media costs (even archiving on the card) then slower cards may be worth considering.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 01:24:32 AM »
went to record Yazoo last night (Manchester Apollo). Set at 24/96 on 4GB HCSD Card. 2 hours record time on the display. Set it running. An hour in got this message on the screen;

'SD card Running too slow, press any key'. Not sure why my card failed to cope with the 24/96 rate. Any thoughts.

End result was I had to stop and re start recording 3 times, meaning a few minutes lost.

Also, does anyone know that if the above message is displayed that the recorder still works (ie, is it still recording?). The message was large enough to obscure anything that was going on 'underneath' it if you catch my drift.

Something I've learned: always formating your SD card after it's contents are saved in your desktop.
Do not simply delet the files. Format your card between shows. ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bakerstuff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
Same problem at DMB on Friday. First run with the HR so I figured I'd go 96 and see what she gives me. Used an 8GB Class 6 card from Transcend. First off, it starts a new track after every 2 GB. At 96, that seems to be every hour. Got through the first two tracks alright, then I looked down and saw no red light and got the "Slow Card" message. One thing I did not do was format the card before I used it. It was a brand new card so I didn't even consider it, but now I always will regardless. I just don't know if that's all it was. On Saturday I ran at 44.1 without any problems.

I guess I'll try one more time at 96, but if the consensus here is that it's almost meaningless to go that high, then why bother. But if there's a glitch in the machine, then it needs to be fixed.

Any more info would be appreciated.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »
Same problem at DMB on Friday. First run with the HR so I figured I'd go 96 and see what she gives me. Used an 8GB Class 6 card from Transcend. First off, it starts a new track after every 2 GB. At 96, that seems to be every hour. Got through the first two tracks alright, then I looked down and saw no red light and got the "Slow Card" message. One thing I did not do was format the card before I used it. It was a brand new card so I didn't even consider it, but now I always will regardless. I just don't know if that's all it was. On Saturday I ran at 44.1 without any problems.

I guess I'll try one more time at 96, but if the consensus here is that it's almost meaningless to go that high, then why bother. But if there's a glitch in the machine, then it needs to be fixed.

Any more info would be appreciated.

Bakerstuff,

I've never used a Transcend card, but, today, yours is the second post about problems with the brand (same problem, btw). Word of advice: always format your card after  files are securely saved on your desktop. I'm no scientist or whatever, but I've been told that delete files only is not good enough. ;) Always format your card between shows.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »
I have to admit to increasing puzzlement about performance of SDHC cards.  When used in a PC, you can transfer files to the card radically faster than an audio recorder would need to write data.  But trying to use one in a card reader using a DAW to record audio data to it, performance is much slower, with a Transcend 8GB class 6 card only allowing three stereo 24/96 tracks and a Panasonic 8GB class 6 only allowing one (before the DAW locks up due to inability to write to the card fast enough).  Yet Panasonic include class 4 cards with their high-def camcorders (which fill a 4GB card in less than 40 mins). 

I guess all one can do is to thoroughly soak test your chosen card in your chosen recorder before going out on the road.

Offline cl516

• Taperssection Newbie
    • cl516 blog
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
version 1.04 here
Sandisk Ultra II SDHC 4 gig card.

spent all day trying to record thunderstorms, no card problems whatsoever.
 :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com