Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 113837 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2008, 02:25:37 PM »
I'm still not sure why you care about setting off wands.  Even if it does set it off it's not hard to get it in.  Be creative, be assertive.

Yes, I know how to hide the recorder that even if it sets off the alarm, they won't find it (because it's hidden... you know where ;-)) But I still prefer not to draw the attention of the security to me. Even if nobody in this country has any weapons, we still have very strict rules about taking photos or recording anything in our biggest arena (built only recently). The security is really tight for some unknown reason.

Anyway, I think I have decided and I'll buy the Edirol R-09HR.

Great decision  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
Well since its your recording, you should try it both ways.  ::)

Of course, I suppose my hurdle is getting over the thought process of not wanting to burn an opportunity for a good recording in lieu of experimentation :P

I think the answer's to go find some free shows in my area and play around...no time like the summer for that!

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:22 PM »
Some new information from Roland below this reminder quote...

This is odd tho, I noticed some faint banding in the R09HR 100% mic spectrogram...

Looking at the histogram the spikes are visible, but on closer inspection they fall on the exact frequency intervals (1000 Hz increments).

So that's really wierd  :o ...any suggestions? I can't imagine any real digital noise that would fall so neatly on the frequency divisions? An engineering mode in the firmware left on? I am using 1.04 ... what am I overlooking here?

digifish

AND guysonic's review... http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106364.0.html

show some strange low-level digi-noise in the mic-in path.

So I have heard back from Roland R&D Japan -

They note (as we know) that this noise is only an issue on the mic-in. They say that the specifications of the unit take this into account and that due to the small circuit board and design constraints (cost?) they found it impossible to remove this signal from the mic path. Further, it is mainly outside the audible range (> 20 kHz) and so is not considered a big issue in a recorder of this nature.

The statement that it's mainly outside the audible range is true if you record at 88.2/96 kHz but not at 44.1/48kHz, so I thought that a bit odd. Similarly why release a recorder with > 48 kHz sampling if you don't believe it is audible up there, ahhhhh the pressures of marketing requirements on the R&D department  ;D   

Just a reminder the line-in is free of this noise (and that on the HR mic-in, it is at a very low level, see guysonics graph above and so not audible under any circumstances I can find, including normalizing silence). As is clear the R09HR is far better overall than the R09 for mic-in specs that also include similar digi-noise.

digifish
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:42:07 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »

OK I have heard back from Roland R&D Japan -

They note (as we know) that this noise is only an issue on the mic-in. They say that the specifications of the unit take this into account and that due to the small circuit board they found it impossible to remove for the mic path. However, it is mainly outside the audible range (20 = kHz) and so is not considered a big issue in a recorder of this nature.

Just a reminder the line-in is free of this noise and the R09HR is better than the R09 for mic-in specs.

digifish

Thanks a lot for this  ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2008, 04:37:41 AM »
It's ironic to find this issue in a device labeled "High Resolution."

I suppose it's understandable that Edirol let the problem ride due to cost restraints.  My feeling is that they noticed the issue late in the development cycle, and the pressure to get the design finished overrode any desire to fix the problem.  Credit Voltaire:
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."  We should acknowledge that the R-09HR is an improvement over the R-09.

Edirol touts the R-09HR's analog "Isolated Adaptive Recording Circuit" on a separate PC board from the digital electronics.  Maybe in time Edirol will re-engineer this circuitry to fix the problem.  A fix should be easy enough.  Edirol only needs to purchase a couple of competitors' products that don't exhibit this problem, and reverse engineer a solution.  From Guysonic's graphs, the Sony PCM-D50 looks to have this issue under better control.

Thanks for following up with this. T+

Flintstone

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2008, 05:39:46 AM »
It's ironic to find this issue in a device labeled "High Resolution."

I suppose it's understandable that Edirol let the problem ride due to cost restraints. 

I got the feeling from the reply (in most polite Engrish) that the R&D guys see this as a consumer-level device and are slightly removed from the marketing surrounding their products. I think they were a little surprised that this issue was pointed out to them :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »
Please stay away from the Edirol R-09HR Silicone Rubber Case.
Looks nice, fits tight as a glove and provides good protection against scraches, but the thing is a dust magnet :o.
In a matter of minutes the silicone cover looks like a dust ball. I have cats in my house, so you can imagine how it looks like. :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:49:53 AM by Dede2002 »

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
in case you are curious, some size comparisons....

Sony D7, Edirol R-09, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-1

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »
in case you are curious, some size comparisons....

Sony D7, Edirol R-09, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-1

Looks like your DAT machine has been around for a little while. Good comparison picture.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2008, 07:33:54 PM »
Looks nice, fits tight as a glove and provides good protection against scraches, but the thing is a dust magnet :o.
In a matter of minutes the silicone cover looks like a dust ball. I have cats in my house, so you can imagine how it looks like. :P

Maintenance tip, wipe it with a damp cloth (dishcloth is best)...the dust comes right off, easy...for 5 minutes :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »

Maintenance tip, wipe it with a damp cloth (dishcloth is best)...the dust comes right off, easy...for 5 minutes :)

digifish

;D ;D ;D.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2008, 02:43:27 AM »
In case anyone is curious, I just bought an A-Data 16gb class 6 card, and it formatted and is working in the HR with no issues.  I am running a test now.

Formatted it shows 7hr 40m 48sec running at 24/96.

Most people like Newegg, here is a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211245

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2008, 02:48:34 AM »
In case anyone is curious, I just bought an A-Data 16gb class 6 card, and it formatted and is working in the HR with no issues.  I am running a test now.

Most people like Newegg, here is a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211245

Aren't the R-09 and R-09HR both compatible with 16gb and 32gb SDHC cards?  16gb Transcend works great in my R-09.  8)

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2008, 03:03:56 AM »
not sure, but I thought I would help someone else out....

i do know that not all CF cards work in all decks, like my Marantz 671 will not work with the 16gb A-Data CF card

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »
that is curious... I have 2 of those cards and I can't get them to reliably record 24/96.  They'll go for hours, then I'll randomly get the "slow card" error.  I've been able to fill it continuously at 24/96 a few times, but I'm not confident running it at 24/96 in the field.  Could you run a few more tests, but this time stop and restart recordings a few times along the way.  What firmware are you running?

Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com